From: Lorance Stinson
Subject: MIX simulator in CL
My loving wife got me TACP (The Art of Computer Programming) box set for
Christmas. An incredible set of books with more information than I could
digest in many years. To aid me in learning the lessons of the books I
wrote my own MIX simulator in CL after being annoyed and disappointed with
existing MIX simulators. It is now nearly complete (except for the
assembler, it works correctly in all cases I have tried, but is absolute
dreck) and almost 100% correct. I'm going to write a test program this
weekend to make sure it is and always will be 100% correct.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll put it on the web for all to
use. It is not very elegant and is horribly inefficient, but it was
designed for learning and not performance.

--
Lorance Stinson <·······@worldpbx.com> http://www.worldpbx.com/
Codito, Ergo Sum (I Code, therefore I am)

From: Marc Spitzer
Subject: Re: MIX simulator in CL
In article <·················@worldpbx.com>, Lorance Stinson wrote:
> My loving wife got me TACP (The Art of Computer Programming) box set for
> Christmas. An incredible set of books with more information than I could
> digest in many years. To aid me in learning the lessons of the books I
> wrote my own MIX simulator in CL after being annoyed and disappointed with
> existing MIX simulators. It is now nearly complete (except for the
> assembler, it works correctly in all cases I have tried, but is absolute
> dreck) and almost 100% correct. I'm going to write a test program this
> weekend to make sure it is and always will be 100% correct.
>
> If anyone is interested let me know and I'll put it on the web for all to
> use. It is not very elegant and is horribly inefficient, but it was
> designed for learning and not performance.

I am interested.

marc

From: Jens Axel S�gaard
Marc Spitzer wrote:
> In article <·················@worldpbx.com>, Lorance
> Stinson wrote:

>> If anyone is interested let me know and I'll put it on
>> the web for all to use. It is not very elegant and is
>> horribly inefficient, but it was designed for learning
>> and not performance.
>
> I am interested.

Ditto.

--
Jens Axel S�gaard -- ········@soegaard.net
From: Christopher Browne
Lorance Stinson <·······@worldpbx.com> wrote:
> My loving wife got me TACP (The Art of Computer Programming) box set for
> Christmas. An incredible set of books with more information than I could
> digest in many years. To aid me in learning the lessons of the books I
> wrote my own MIX simulator in CL after being annoyed and disappointed with
> existing MIX simulators. It is now nearly complete (except for the
> assembler, it works correctly in all cases I have tried, but is absolute
> dreck) and almost 100% correct. I'm going to write a test program this
> weekend to make sure it is and always will be 100% correct.
>
> If anyone is interested let me know and I'll put it on the web for all to
> use. It is not very elegant and is horribly inefficient, but it was
> designed for learning and not performance.

Note that in the upcoming volumes, Knuth has created MMIX as a "new,
RISCy" processor for this.  Search for "MMIXMasters" for more
information...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html
From: Lorance Stinson
Christopher Browne wrote:
> Note that in the upcoming volumes, Knuth has created MMIX as a "new,
> RISCy" processor for this.  Search for "MMIXMasters" for more
> information...
I'm aware of that. Unfortunately the books still use the old MIX and many
of the lessons are still the same. I've been thinking of writing a MMIX
simulator, but that would take a lot of time since MMIX is much more
complex. I have the MMIX docs and software, though I have not had the time
to work with them yet.

From: ozan s yigit
Christopher Browne:

> Note that in the upcoming volumes, Knuth has created MMIX as a "new,
> RISCy" processor for this.  Search for "MMIXMasters" for more
> information...

also see:

Knuth, "MMIXware: A RISC Computer for the Third Millennium"
Lecture Notes In Computer Science 1750, Springer Verlag,  1999.

[as much fun as knuth always is, including c-is-not-my-first-lang
style (as compared to, say, hanson's lcc code) including needless
gotos, and the usual cweb code-all-over-the-place typesetting for
effortless reading and comprehension. :-]

oz
---
www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz | york u. computer science
take the long short cut. -- animation rule of thumb (richard williams)
From: Ng Pheng Siong
According to Lorance Stinson  <·······@worldpbx.com>:
> My loving wife got me TACP (The Art of Computer Programming) box set for
> Christmas. An incredible set of books with more information than I could
> digest in many years. To aid me in learning the lessons of the books I
> wrote my own MIX simulator in CL after being annoyed and disappointed with
> existing MIX simulators. It is now nearly complete (except for the
> assembler, it works correctly in all cases I have tried, but is absolute
> dreck) and almost 100% correct. I'm going to write a test program this
> weekend to make sure it is and always will be 100% correct.

Years ago I saw a manual, but not the running software, for a package
called the Visible Computer: runs on an Apple II, teaches 6502 assembly
language, I think.

I've always wanted to write a "Visible MIX" simulator a la the above, using
the pictorial layout of the MIX machine in volume 1 of TAOCP where MIX is
introduced.

Oh well, one of these days, in my copious spare time...

--
Ng Pheng Siong <····@netmemetic.com> * http://www.netmemetic.com
From: Lorance Stinson
Check out the GNU MDK (MIX Development Kit) at
http://www.gnu.org/software/mdk/mdk.html. It is close to what you describe.
I personally did not like it which is why I wrote my own.

From: Lorance Stinson
I have made CLMIX available at http://static.worldpbx.com/clmix/ as a PKZIP
and a Gziped Tar file. I have not written the documentation yet. I will do
so when I get time. I also have not written as many tests as I wanted to.
The bad weather this weekend aggravated my fybromyalgia so I could not
spend the time on CLMIX I wanted to. I will write the tests once I get the
time.

Enjoy and please let me know if there is anything I can do to make CLMIX
better. (I will not write a GUI as I do not like GUI interfaces. If someone
writes one I will gladly include it.)