From: Kauser
Subject: Background File processing
Hi

I'm writing an emacs-lisp program whereby I need to process/scan a
file in the background. Is there any function that would let me open
and process a file in the background, without it having to be opened
in a buffer. If there is no such function, I'd appreciate suggestions
as to how I could go about this.

Thanks,

--Kauser
From: Kai =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=
Subject: Re: Background File processing
·······@utoronto.ca (Kauser) writes:

> I'm writing an emacs-lisp program whereby I need to process/scan a
> file in the background. Is there any function that would let me open
> and process a file in the background, without it having to be opened
> in a buffer. If there is no such function, I'd appreciate suggestions
> as to how I could go about this.

I think it does not make sense to try to avoid buffers somehow.
Avoiding them might prove extremely difficult or even impossible, for
no real gain, IMHO.  Maybe it's enough to hide the buffer?  If the
buffer name starts with a space, it will not be listed in the menu or
in C-x C-b.  You have to use C-x b to switch to it.

Emacs supports a kind of cooperative multitasking.  You can use
timers to schedule the execution of a function at specific times
(every second, say).  If that function only does a little bit of work
and returns quickly, the user has the impression that it occurs in
the background.

Does this help?

kai