From: john
Subject: c.l.l. archives
Hello,

While finding the discussions in c.l.l very (at least for a lisp
newbie like me) valuable, I have no permanent access to the internet,
so I would like to download the postings for the last couple of years,
so I can browse and search for answers even when my computer is not
online. (By the way until now I hadn't the need to use Usenet, so my
question will appear to a lot of people trivial - I just don't know
where to search for).

So I tried to download the messages of the c.l.l from the news server
of my ISP (news.datazug.ch) but I can download only the messages since
04/23/2002. In Google I see messages from at least 10 years. I've also
found donwloadable archives of the c.l.l until 1997. I don't know if
the fact that I can't download messages from more than a couple of
months is because of my ISP, but  I would be happy if someone can
point me to a place (also commersion news archive sites) and to a
method where I can download the messages for the last couple of years.

With best regards

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: c.l.l. archives
In article <····························@posting.google.com>,
john <·········@yahoo.com> wrote:
>So I tried to download the messages of the c.l.l from the news server
>of my ISP (news.datazug.ch) but I can download only the messages since
>04/23/2002. In Google I see messages from at least 10 years. I've also
>found donwloadable archives of the c.l.l until 1997. I don't know if
>the fact that I can't download messages from more than a couple of
>months is because of my ISP

8 months of retention on an ISP's server is HIGH.  Most ISPs only keep
messages for a few weeks, and some only for a few days.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
From: Erik Naggum
* ·········@yahoo.com (john)
| So I tried to download the messages of the c.l.l from the news server
| of my ISP (news.datazug.ch) but I can download only the messages since
| 04/23/2002.

  As Barry says, this is actually very good.

| In Google I see messages from at least 10 years.

  Many people who kept archives of newsgroups just quit wasting time on it
  when Dejanews and then Google took over that function.  I am not quite
  sure how much money they are making and how they plan to say alive, so
  there is some danger in all that information getting lost.  For instance,
  I used to archive comp.text.sgml when I still thought that SGML was a
  good idea and helped people with it, but that turned out not to be an
  effort that people were willing to pay for, but it was time-consuming and
  cost me money, so I quit doing it.

  I would suggest getting a permanent Internet connection...

--
Erik Naggum, Oslo, Norway

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no> writes:

> * ·········@yahoo.com (john)
> | So I tried to download the messages of the c.l.l from the news server
> | of my ISP (news.datazug.ch) but I can download only the messages since
> | 04/23/2002.
>
>   As Barry says, this is actually very good.
>
> | In Google I see messages from at least 10 years.
>
>   Many people who kept archives of newsgroups just quit wasting time on it
>   when Dejanews and then Google took over that function.  I am not quite
>   sure how much money they are making and how they plan to say alive, so
>   there is some danger in all that information getting lost.  For instance,
>   I used to archive comp.text.sgml when I still thought that SGML was a
>   good idea and helped people with it, but that turned out not to be an
>   effort that people were willing to pay for, but it was time-consuming and
>   cost me money, so I quit doing it.
>
>   I would suggest getting a permanent Internet connection...

If it's practical, that's probably a good idea.  However, for laptop
users, this isn't the most useful advice :).  You could also write
yourself a little script to grab them from Google's archive.

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |