From: Juergen Nickelsen
Subject: Lisp for J2ME?
For a while now I have a smartphone (Motorola Accompli 008) with
Java VM (J2ME). While text input is a little clumsy, I would love to
have a Lisp interpreter running on this "machine".

In the last few days I have found quite a few references to Lisp
implementations in Java, including a full R5RS Scheme
implementation (SISC). None of these are targeted to the Java
Microengine, though, so my question is:

Is there any Lisp implementation running on the J2ME?

If not, I might even begin to write my own -- I did a similar
project as a student, so I know it shouldn't be too hard (even for
me :-).

--
Juergen Nickelsen

From: Jim White
Subject: Re: Lisp for J2ME?
Juergen Nickelsen wrote:
> In the last few days I have found quite a few references to Lisp
> implementations in Java, including a full R5RS Scheme
> implementation (SISC). None of these are targeted to the Java
> Microengine, though, so my question is:
>
> Is there any Lisp implementation running on the J2ME?

Another Lisp (Scheme) for Java is Kawa:

http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/

I don't know exactly what parts would fail under J2ME, but it is very
modular and it would be easy to compile a subset.  There are both
configure+make and Ant-based builds so you can use whichever suits your
fancy.

Oh.  Nevermind.  I just checked on my recollection of J2ME having no
ClassLoader.  And since that is the case there is no sense in trying to
use Kawa as it does most everything by compiling to JVM bytecode.

Jim
From: ·········@yahoo.com
Juergen Nickelsen <········@jnickelsen.de> writes:

> For a while now I have a smartphone (Motorola Accompli 008) with
> Java VM (J2ME). While text input is a little clumsy, I would love to
> have a Lisp interpreter running on this "machine".
>
> In the last few days I have found quite a few references to Lisp
> implementations in Java, including a full R5RS Scheme implementation
> (SISC). None of these are targeted to the Java Microengine, though,
> so my question is:

It's not quite what you asked for, but there are lisp-like languages
running on cellphones:

  http://radio.weblogs.com/0102385/categories/nokia9210/2002/07/28.html

Chris Double even says "Anyone willing to pay to have Goo or a Lisp
running on a cellphone, feel free to contact me :-)."

John Wiseman
From: Scott Miller
Juergen Nickelsen <········@jnickelsen.de> wrote in message news:<··············@wittduen.kms.jnickelsen.de>...
> For a while now I have a smartphone (Motorola Accompli 008) with
> Java VM (J2ME). While text input is a little clumsy, I would love to
> have a Lisp interpreter running on this "machine".
>
> In the last few days I have found quite a few references to Lisp
> implementations in Java, including a full R5RS Scheme
> implementation (SISC). None of these are targeted to the Java
> Microengine, though, so my question is:

While I'm not intimately familiar with J2ME, SISC isn't very dependent
on heavy Java features.  Starting from the Lite build (which targets
low memory environments), and using the fixed-floating point math
library, there would only be a few places in the source that would
need to be ported.