From: ·····@lazaridis.de
Subject: ST - Cincom Installation War
i got this instructions from Cincom Smalltalk:

http://www.cincom.com/newsmalltalk/downloads/installinstruct.htm#installWindows
"[...]
Installing under Windows:

    1. Make an installation directory (e.g., c:\vw7nc).
    2. Download the required files to the installation directory.
    3. Launch WinZip 7.0 (or later).
    4. Configure WinZip's preferences (important):
           * Open Options -> Configuration -> Miscellaneous, and uncheck
"TAR file smart CR/LF conversion".
    5. Open each of the downloaded files in WinZip, and extract it to
the installation directory.
       This creates the necessary subdirectories and copies the files
into their proper location.
    6. Use the Windows Explorer to create a file extension association
for VisualWorks:
           * Open the directory c:\vw7nc\image, and double-click on
visualnc.im
             (or, if the extension .im already has an association,
select the image file, shift right-click and select Open With... from
the pop-up menu).
           * In the "Open With" dialog, click the Other... button, then
find and select: c:\vw7nc\bin\visual.exe.
           * Check the "Always use this program ..." checkbox, and click OK.
    7. Launch VisualWorks by double-clicking on visualnc.im.
[...]
"

-

Now i answer to two 7-point-instruction of Cincom with a
2-point-instruction for Cincom.

1. Force your programmers to develope one Setup.exe.
2. Shrink your annoying 7 point instruction to a 1 point instruction:

=> 1. run setup.exe and follow the instructions.
From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
Subject: Re: ST - Cincom Installation War
On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:34:43 +0300, ·····@lazaridis.de wrote:

>i got this instructions from Cincom Smalltalk:
>
>http://www.cincom.com/newsmalltalk/downloads/installinstruct.htm#installWindows
>"[...]
>Installing under Windows:
>
>    1. Make an installation directory (e.g., c:\vw7nc).
>    2. Download the required files to the installation directory.
>    3. Launch WinZip 7.0 (or later).
>    4. Configure WinZip's preferences (important):
>           * Open Options -> Configuration -> Miscellaneous, and uncheck
>"TAR file smart CR/LF conversion".
>    5. Open each of the downloaded files in WinZip, and extract it to
>the installation directory.
>       This creates the necessary subdirectories and copies the files
>into their proper location.
>    6. Use the Windows Explorer to create a file extension association
>for VisualWorks:
>           * Open the directory c:\vw7nc\image, and double-click on
>visualnc.im
>             (or, if the extension .im already has an association,
>select the image file, shift right-click and select Open With... from
>the pop-up menu).
>           * In the "Open With" dialog, click the Other... button, then
>find and select: c:\vw7nc\bin\visual.exe.
>           * Check the "Always use this program ..." checkbox, and click OK.
>    7. Launch VisualWorks by double-clicking on visualnc.im.
>[...]
>"
>
>-
>
>Now i answer to two 7-point-instruction of Cincom with a
>2-point-instruction for Cincom.
>
>1. Force your programmers to develope one Setup.exe.
>2. Shrink your annoying 7 point instruction to a 1 point instruction:
>
>=> 1. run setup.exe and follow the instructions.

1) Why is this posted to the cll and not cls.
2) The process I went through was simple enough.
     1) Register and download vw7nc.
     2) Burn CD. ( OR extract using CD extraction program. )
     3) Autorun CD.
     4) I don't remember where but it will ask you for the license you
         recieved when you registered.
------------------
The simplest downloads are two steps:
1) Download
2) Run setup.
This is only for downloads that run Windows only.
For Windows and other OSes from the same download there must be three
steps:
1) Download
2) "uncompress"
3) Run setup.

So it's not that much more complicated.
( There is the registeration info. Which adds a step. )
With of you do not burn a CD, there is an extra step that you
must manually "autorun".