From: Jeremy Whetzel
Subject: Lisp as a database?
Hi,

I'm setting up a small database of about 2000 objects, and I'm having
a tough time deciding which way to do it.  The database is for a local
preschool library (used only by the teachers, not the preschoolers).
I was wondering the opinion of this group in how they would set this
up.  I'm considering using CL for the program, but I was wondering how
well (mainly as in speed) CL can keep track of these 2000 objects as
persistant data.  Would CL be good for this, or would I be better off
setting up a MySQL database and then just front that with an
interface?

Thanks for any input,
Jeremy
From: Dave Bakhash
Subject: Re: Lisp as a database?
···········@yahoo.com (Jeremy Whetzel) writes:

> I'm setting up a small database of about 2000 objects, and I'm having
> a tough time deciding which way to do it.  The database is for a local
> preschool library (used only by the teachers, not the preschoolers). I
> was wondering the opinion of this group in how they would set this up.
> I'm considering using CL for the program, but I was wondering how well
> (mainly as in speed) CL can keep track of these 2000 objects as
> persistant data.  Would CL be good for this, or would I be better off
> setting up a MySQL database and then just front that with an
> interface?

for 2k objects, they can be in whatever persistent store you want.  With
a number that small, you might consider just swallowing it all in memory
every time you start up, and then saving all the objects whenever you
determine that that's what you want to do (e.g. when you quit the
application).  If you want transactional security, then this is a
different issue, and you may have to use an underlying database which
supports ACID features.  There are several systems that will give you
that with CL (RDB, PLOB, AllegroStore).

As being the open-source, free object database, PLOB! would be my
recommendation, though I've never used it.  See:

http://plob.sourceforge.net

dave