From: Xah Lee
Subject: the plight of society
Dear lisp comrades,

please allow me a few words on the plight of Erik Naggum.

Mr Erik Eaggum, as you know, as far as i personally have witnessed
since 1998 has been causing comp.lang.lisp newsgroup inordinate
problems and confusion. In just about every week one can find him
quarreling with some fellow being from clueless newbies to longtime
regulars. This quarreling is rather usual in newsgroups however, with
Erik there is a marked difference. Erik uses the foulest language, the
vilest invectives on his antagonists, almost without the slightest
provocation. If a newbie asked a dumb question in this group or
behaved a bit arrogant or adamant, then Erik will by steps tell the
sorry guy to visit a psychiatrist, commit suicide, or similar
fantastic humiliation. If the newbie disagreed openly or behaved
normally by showing the least bit of defiance or injustice, then Erik
will hog on and on writing chapters after chapters of invectives and
colorful bile to hurt the person. Pure newbie often get scared off and
away after a few exchanges by the sheer harshness and volume, or
hunker down to become a lurker with enmity. Regulars who has seen or
known Erik online for years does not escape this path. Constantly Erik
will concoct nasty psyche-damaging verbiage towards some old timers
whose behavior irked him. The wrangle here is worse, for the regulars
are familiar with Erik's stance and refuse to back down, thus every
two months or so we see prolonged exchange of nasty letters with
tiresome psycho-babble designed to hurt each other, on and on, back
and forth, and Erik amazingly always have miles and miles of articles
and wild aptitude to put his rival to rest before his last word.

Erik's got the verve to make others feel miserable. He's got the
energy and time to keep it going, and keeping up his perpetual and
voluminous vituperations against a throng of people coming and going
or staying. This is just amazing.

There is a classic paper on the Philosophies of Netiquette, which
analyzed two schools of thought on the value of online forum
behaviors. Through it we can judge Mr Naggum plainly. Has Mr Nagg'm
murdered your son? No. Has he raped your daughter? No. Has he
slandered your reputation in any legal way? Um, no. Has he, the
foulest mouthed Erik Naggum, made any contribution to this newsgroup
from a scholar's point of view? Yes, and with probably unilateral
consensus Erik Naggum is one of the most significant contributor to
comp.lang.lisp, perhaps top 10 of the forum's entire existence.
Therefore, we can see from at least one aspect, the questionable Erik
Naggum fellow is one of the most valuable fellow in comp.lang.lisp.

My moralist friends will object. By a twist of tone this abusive
fellow suddenly became a saint? One must not forget that Erik is the
one who tells others to suicide. He is the one who breaks out
continuous wicked invectives. He is the one who is responsible for at
least 20% of perpetual noise. He is the one who drive you nuts. My
moralist friends do not understand that there are people who do not
buy their morals, such as the venerable Xah Lee. The Naggum fellow
raped no daughters and trespassed no law. The utmost evil of him is
his venomous mouth, which differs from a slanderous mouth. By and by
moralists can and will harass people to their death, and that i
object. I would rather have the orthodox understanding of morality die
before me, and moralists die with it.

Now with the average morons kicked, i'm sure many of Erik antagonists
are mere tolerant complainers and grievance filers, who wishes at
least to point out Erik's hideous illness hidden under his grand
scheme of philosophies. I sympathize. Certainly if Erik insulted me,
i'd feel angry and bear grudge. The fact i did not because it has been
very easy for me to forgive him, and forgive him i did with my
magnanimity and human compassion and wisdom. As many of you know,
since 1998 i had sparks with the Nagg'm quite a few times too.
Recently he got so fucked to publish a private letter of mime on this
forum and solicited public ridicule, which obviously crossed some
ethical grounds. However, the devious Erik was never able to enslave
me for his spittle target. In fact i have influenced and changed him
without much hearty acknowledgment.

Think about it, my fellow beings. It is very easy to forgive a foul
mouth who has knowledgeable things to say. This fantastic nut case
Erik Naggum has useful and helpful and at least technical valuable
things to say and he says them in quantities aside from his pile of
hollow blasphemes. From one moral point of view, he is far valuable to
the world than the multitude of ignoramuses in society or IT industry.
It has been a marvel to me what weakling humans are, where the sound
wave of certain utterances can hurt their heart and sink a person all
by himself, like "i hate you" from a loved one. I thought of the
possibility of this being employed in the military, where a general
can just say "You are a fuckface!" and have his enemies hurt and
crushed through the heart. Imagine you being susceptible to this
device, and in fact you are i know because you are a normal human
being. But now with this understanding, i think you can realize some
pro and con, and see the whole thing in a new light. (i shot you a
vaccine of wisdom! You'll be good for a while.)

Bibliography:

Philosophies of Netiquette
http://xahlee.org/Writ_dir/comp_lang_lisp/phil_netiquette.txt

Game of humanity
http://xahlee.org/Writ_dir/comp_lang_lisp/troll_toxicity.txt

--

Naggum -- the final solution
http://xahlee.org/Writ_dir/comp_lang_lisp/80.txt

software industry predicament
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=7fe97cc4.0207180148.2dbcbddc%40posting.
google.com&output=gplain
http://xahlee.org/Writ_dir/comp_lang_lisp/software_industry_predicament.txt

Wow compilers
http://xahlee.org/Writ_dir/comp_lang_lisp/wow_compiler.txt

Microsoft Hatred, the beginning
http://xahlee.org/Writ_dir/comp_lang_lisp/155.txt

Microsoft Hatred Episode II
http://xahlee.org/Writ_dir/macos-talk/20020517/2.txt

Microsoft Hatred FAQ
http://xahlee.org/Writ_dir/macos-talk/20020517/3.txt

Microsoft Hatred Addendum
http://xahlee.org/Writ_dir/macos-talk/20020517/4.txt

more annotated bibliography on human beings & society
http://xahlee.org/PBooks_dir/books.html

   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   X   Xah's educational corner:                  X
   X   Logical Positivism on Morality             X
   X   http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/6q.htm   X
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

PS time being a factor, i won't be able to partake on the ins and outs
this Naggum exigency. If my opinion ends up being the final say on
matters, let us pray that it is good.

--

now with a hefty subject done, let us talk about something more
revetting. In this half of my post, i'll ramble a bit on sexual orgy.

American Heritage Dictionary (dictionary.com) has this note about it:

<-----
Notes: The word orgy has become connected in the minds of many of us
with unrestrained sexual activity, but its origins are much less
licentious. We can trace the word as far back as the Indo-European
root werg-, meaning "to do" and the source of our word work. Greek
orgia, "secret rites, worship," also comes from the root werg-, by way
of the form �worg-. The Greek word was used with reference to the
worship and the rites practiced in the worship of various deities,
such as Orpheus and Dionysus. The word in Greek did not denote sexual
activity, although this was a part of some of the various rites. The
rites of Dionysus, for example, included only music, dancing,
drinking, and the eating of animal sacrifices. Having passed through
Latin and Old French into English the word orgy is first recorded in
English with reference to the secret rites of the Greek and Roman
religions in 1589. It is interesting to note that the word is first
recorded with its modern sense in 18th-century English and perhaps in
17th-century French. Whether this speaks to a greater licentiousness
in society or not must be left to the historian, but certainly the
religious nature of the word has gone into eclipse.
----->

That's interesting.

There are two modern films that depicts orgy the way we want the word
to mean. One is Titus directed by Julie Taymor.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6305962987/xahhome-20/
The other comes to mind is the Eyes Wide Shut by the Stanley Kubrick.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ATQD/xahhome-20/
Films of orgy is of course not limited to pop movies. There's the more
popular porno movies that captures real orgy. For example, here's two
that i enjoyed very much:
* Miscreants (1997) by Robert Black
* Cumback Pussy Sixx by Tom Byron (all star pop chut salute)
* But Slammers 17 by Bruce Seven.

here we see a group of people openly engaged in sex in a frenzy. The
most wondrous human activity carried out in loving peace. Orgy is
rather intriguing. Of course it is not just in movies, it being rather
a standard human activity through out the centuries. Personally i find
sharing chicks in the presence of other naked man a turn off, but i'd
attribute that to personal flaw of being not encompassing enough in
views.

here's few tasty morsels i found either recently or knew:

http://www.apollonius.net/erotica-etc.html

photos of sculptures of orgy & bestiality
this one is by Olin Shivers, the author of the Lisp Scheme Shell
http://www.ai.mit.edu/~shivers/nepal/nepal.html

also in my learnings i've found that prostitutes are strongly
affiliated with temples & churches. Sometimes priests and nuns are
connoted being the most wanton beings in novels. My guess is that
there's some historical basis, if not being the truth period. (just
look at recent news of a plethora of child buggering priests. If one
looks back in history, it seems to me it is always like that.)

one time i learned that enema as a pleasure activity dates back to
Egyptians. see
http://xahlee.org/TopSites_dir/sites.html

anyway, i think the world is diverse, that it is not possible to know
all. As for sexual practices, i recommend this eye opener:
Encyclopedia of unusual sex practices by Brenda Love
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1569800111/xahhome-20/

Knowing that the world is diverse kind of make modern life and views
preposterous, don't you think? I think so. Look at the debaters in
online forums, especially petty quarrels. What is the significance?
Gaining a foot or reputation? A power battle? So there are rampant
fuckheads, but so what? Of course we don't reason or analyze things in
detail, because there's no need when we don't even know what's our
goal. We simply do, as our upbringing and instinct dictates us.
Possibly we think sometimes. I know my explanation falls short, but
this is why recently i view human beings and society as a process kind
of thing, thinking each human simpleton just acting out whatnot, which
is basically how all humans behave.

PS as part of research of this rambling second half, i came to know
the Church of Satan in some detail. I think their silly title has
deceived me in the past.
http://www.churchofsatan.com/

here's their creed:

<------------------
The Nine Satanic Statements
from The Satanic Bible, �1969
by Anton Szandor LaVey

1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!
2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical
self-deceit!
4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love
wasted on ingrates!
5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of
concern for psychic vampires!
7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more
often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of
his"divine spiritual and intellectual development," has become the
most vicious animal of all!
8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to
physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has
kept it in business all these years!
------------------>

amazing. I have found a name for my religion. I had been thinking of
starting one myself...

my comrades, i know my rambling in comp.lang.lisp has been less
coherent, but those of you logical positivists, free thinkers,
computer geeks, rebellious young students, please know that as the
internet propels the massive almost unstoppable exchange of
information, our kind and creeds are just beginning to prevail. We do
not ask much, but the free and massive exchange or availability of
information, sometimes calls truth. That shall be our creed, and we
shall be kind and loving. But when traditional moralist infringe on
our "desires" (sometimes called _rights_), we shall wipe them out
accordingly.

i shall be your leader if you want me too. But together, we will seek
out pleasures and peace, live long and prosper, learn the nature of
things, and fight our holy war against our enemies. Keep this in mind
in your daily lives, for every little decision or action you do makes
the world as a whole. I bid you live long and prosper.

 Xah
 ···@xahlee.org
 http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html

From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: the plight of society
* ···@xahlee.org (Xah Lee)
| Dear lisp comrades,

  That was the only thing appropriate for this forum in your message.

  Get yourself repaired.

--
Erik Naggum, Oslo, Norway

From: ilias
Xah Lee wrote:
> Dear lisp comrades,
>
> please allow me a few words on the plight of Erik Naggum.
[...]

Sanity Xah.

-

Don't try.