From: Mikey A
Subject: New To Lisp and after a good interpreter for win32
Hi, as from the subject I am after a good, free interpreter for windows 32,
and where possible avoid installing extra things like cygwin etc
Any suggestions please?

Mike

From: Matthew Danish
On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 11:57:21PM +1000, Mikey A wrote:
> Hi, as from the subject I am after a good, free interpreter for windows 32,
> and where possible avoid installing extra things like cygwin etc
> Any suggestions please?

Would a compiler to native-code satisfy you as well?  With the same
interactive environment you might get from an interpreter, as well?

You have several choices, then, in the Common Lisp world:

Free for personal use, but crippled in some form (usually it is no
obstacle to learning CL or doing homework):

* Franz's Allegro Common Lisp (http://www.franz.com/)
* Xanalys's LispWorks (http://www.lispworks.com/)

Free for personal use, not crippled:

* Corman Lisp (http://www.cormanlisp.com/)

GPL'd:

* CLISP (http://clisp.sf.net/) but requires Cygwin, IIRC.  Only
  byte-code compiles, as well.

Sites to see:

* http://www.lisp.org/
* http://ww.telent.net/cliki/index

Tutorial/book suggestions:

* http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html
* http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html
* http://www.psychologie.uni-trier.de:8000/projects/ELM/elmart.html
* _ANSI Common Lisp_, Paul Graham
* _Paradigms of AI Programming_, Peter Norvig (slightly more advanced)

That should get you started.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: Karsten Poeck
"Matthew Danish" <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
··························@lain.res.cmu.edu...
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 11:57:21PM +1000, Mikey A wrote:
> > Hi, as from the subject I am after a good, free interpreter for windows
32,
> > and where possible avoid installing extra things like cygwin etc
> > Any suggestions please?
> * CLISP (http://clisp.sf.net/) but requires Cygwin, IIRC.  Only
>   byte-code compiles, as well.

No, CLISP does not require cygwin, e.g.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/clisp/clisp-2.30-win32.zip?download

It compiles with cygwin though.

Karsten
From: Mikey A
Thanks a bunch guys :)

Regards
Mike

"Matthew Danish" <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
··························@lain.res.cmu.edu...
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 11:57:21PM +1000, Mikey A wrote:
> > Hi, as from the subject I am after a good, free interpreter for windows
32,
> > and where possible avoid installing extra things like cygwin etc
> > Any suggestions please?
>
> Would a compiler to native-code satisfy you as well?  With the same
> interactive environment you might get from an interpreter, as well?
>
> You have several choices, then, in the Common Lisp world:
>
> Free for personal use, but crippled in some form (usually it is no
> obstacle to learning CL or doing homework):
>
> * Franz's Allegro Common Lisp (http://www.franz.com/)
> * Xanalys's LispWorks (http://www.lispworks.com/)
>
> Free for personal use, not crippled:
>
> * Corman Lisp (http://www.cormanlisp.com/)
>
> GPL'd:
>
> * CLISP (http://clisp.sf.net/) but requires Cygwin, IIRC.  Only
>   byte-code compiles, as well.
>
> Sites to see:
>
> * http://www.lisp.org/
> * http://ww.telent.net/cliki/index
>
> Tutorial/book suggestions:
>
> * http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html
> *
http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html
> * http://www.psychologie.uni-trier.de:8000/projects/ELM/elmart.html
> * _ANSI Common Lisp_, Paul Graham
> * _Paradigms of AI Programming_, Peter Norvig (slightly more advanced)
>
> That should get you started.
>
> --
> ; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
> ; OpenPGP public key: C24B6010 on keyring.debian.org
> ; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
> ; "There is no dark side of the moon really; matter of fact, it's all
dark."
From: Dorai Sitaram
Matthew Danish  <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 11:57:21PM +1000, Mikey A wrote:
>> Hi, as from the subject I am after a good, free interpreter for windows 32,
>
>Would a compiler to native-code satisfy you as well?  With the same
>interactive environment you might get from an interpreter, as well?

Ignoring the aura of slowness that it conveys, is the
word "interpreter" factually wrong in cases where it
is in effect implemented as something like

(compose execute-compiled-code compile)

?