From: JB
Subject: ACL trial edition
I have just downloaded the ACL trial edition for Linux.
Is there an IDE included in this edition? (I remember that
they used to include the IDE with the Windows Trial
Edition.)

TIA,
--
J.... B....

From: JB
Subject: Re: ACL trial edition (problem solved)
JB wrote:

> I have just downloaded the ACL trial edition for Linux.

After downloading and installing I found out that they have
prepared a gtk20 package via the FFI and I was *happy*.
Then I saw that I could not load even the simplest GTK
example as "the Trial Edition heap limit was hit" and I
stopped being happy.
Now some guys here will be happy to hear that now I'll give
it up for ever. After all, I am only a mortal.

--
Janos Blazi

> JB wrote:
>
> > I have just downloaded the ACL trial edition for Linux.
>
> After downloading and installing I found out that they have
> prepared a gtk20 package via the FFI and I was *happy*.
> Then I saw that I could not load even the simplest GTK
> example as "the Trial Edition heap limit was hit" and I
> stopped being happy.
> Now some guys here will be happy to hear that now I'll give
> it up for ever. After all, I am only a mortal.

Did you ever try to contact the vendor, or even bother to browse
the patch log?

From: JB
Duane Rettig wrote:

> JB <··@yahoo.de> writes:
> Did you ever try to contact the vendor, or even bother to
> browse the patch log?

No. "Contacting the vendor" would not have have been
possible as there is no support for the Trial Edition. I
feel that this is fair and should be taken very seriously.
By disturbing them I could have made them believe that I am
going to *buy* one of their products one day, which is not
true.

(I disturbed Trolltech twice, though I use the free version
of Qt. First it was definitely my lack of knowledge of
Unix, and even the second time, when I reported a bug, they
had known it already. They were very kind to me and I felt
miserably. So I shall never do this again. On principle, I
feel that if you use free software, you should take it as
it is and shut up. Looking at it this way and after
sleeping for eight hours, I think that my posting here was
not all right and I apologize, the only mitigating
circumstance being my utter disappointment.)

I did not "browse the patch logs" either, as I was not aware
of them, sorry.
But as I told you already, I should not have posted my first
message. Maybe it would be nice if the limitations of the
Trial Edition were clearly listed, as statements as to the
one that a student can do his home work with the Trial
Edition, are a bit vague. They say that the heap is limited
to <n> MB, but of course the newbie will not be able to
estimate whether this is enough for him or not. So first I
must trust the company that this heap is sufficient for
simple applications (and putting "hello world" on the
screen using GTK++ is not too challenging). But it is
really none of my business and I shut the **** up.

--
J.... B....

> Duane Rettig wrote:
>
> > JB <··@yahoo.de> writes:
> > Did you ever try to contact the vendor, or even bother to
> > browse the patch log?
>
> No. "Contacting the vendor" would not have have been
> possible as there is no support for the Trial Edition. I
> feel that this is fair and should be taken very seriously.
> By disturbing them I could have made them believe that I am
> going to *buy* one of their products one day, which is not
> true.

Contacting us is most _certainly_ "possible".  We try to make
ourselves very easy to get in touch with.  But I do appreciate
your honesty about your long-term intentions.  Whenever I go into
a store with no intention to buy, I try to make it clear to
the salespeople right away that I am "just looking".  Sometimes
I change my mind and buy anyway.

> (I disturbed Trolltech twice, though I use the free version
> of Qt. First it was definitely my lack of knowledge of
> Unix, and even the second time, when I reported a bug, they
> had known it already. They were very kind to me and I felt
> miserably. So I shall never do this again. On principle, I
> feel that if you use free software, you should take it as
> it is and shut up.

It seems from this like you were surprised that they were kind
to you.  Why is that?

>  Looking at it this way and after
> sleeping for eight hours, I think that my posting here was
> not all right and I apologize, the only mitigating
> circumstance being my utter disappointment.)

Apology accepted.  I usually try to find other ways to vent
my disappointment, which is why I asked you my original
questions.  Even if the product is free and I don't intend to
buy, I tend to ask the vendor about a problem, but usually
after I have looked for any documentation that might already
be available on the problem.

> I did not "browse the patch logs" either, as I was not aware
> of them, sorry.

If you had, you would have found that a patch is indeed available
for this very problem, which we considered to be a bug.

> But as I told you already, I should not have posted my first
> message. Maybe it would be nice if the limitations of the
> Trial Edition were clearly listed, as statements as to the
> one that a student can do his home work with the Trial
> Edition, are a bit vague. They say that the heap is limited
> to <n> MB, but of course the newbie will not be able to
> estimate whether this is enough for him or not. So first I
> must trust the company that this heap is sufficient for
> simple applications (and putting "hello world" on the
> screen using GTK++ is not too challenging).

But apparently you _didn't_ trust the company to do what you
thought was a reasonable thing, and gave up right away.  Did
you change your mind about considering it a reasonable thing
to be able to put up a "hello world" on the screen using GTK?

> But it is
> really none of my business and I shut the **** up.

Sometimes this is not the right thing to do.

From: Lieven Marchand
Duane Rettig <·····@franz.com> writes:

> Even if the product is free and I don't intend to buy, I tend to ask
> the vendor about a problem, but usually after I have looked for any
> documentation that might already be available on the problem.

I have entered bug reports for ACL without having bought it (including
a fairly complex one that was about miscompiling a closure over a go
tag that was defined at a later lexical point in the tagbody) and have
always been treated very friendly by your support staff. I'd think a
company would always be interested in knowing about bugs in their
products, even if they don't allocate resources to solve the
inconsequential ones for non-paying "customers".

--
Hai koe, zei de stier,
Kom mee met mij in de wei,
From: Christopher Browne
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, JB <··@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Duane Rettig wrote:
>> JB <··@yahoo.de> writes:
>> Did you ever try to contact the vendor, or even bother to browse
>> the patch log?
>
> No. "Contacting the vendor" would not have have been possible as
> there is no support for the Trial Edition. I feel that this is fair
> and should be taken very seriously.  By disturbing them I could have
> made them believe that I am going to *buy* one of their products one
> day, which is not true.

If you can provide them with information that might be useful in
helping their paying customers, that strikes me as being valuable to
them whether you /ever/ buy the product or not.

It's certainly fair to have low expectations if your expectation of
buying is really low, but methinks you're being /too/ negative.

If I ran into a problem with ACL, I'd be game to send in a report so
they can help others to not have the same problem...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@ntlug.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/finances.html
From: Charles A. Cox
"JB" <··@yahoo.de> wrote in message ···············@news.newsgroups.com...
> JB wrote:
>
> Then I saw that I could not load even the simplest GTK
> example as "the Trial Edition heap limit was hit" and I
> stopped being happy.

  As one who is partly responsible for letting Allegro CL 6.2 Trial be
released without ensuring the GTK+ interface would fit into the
limited heap space, I want to apologize for the inconvenience Trial
users are having while trying the GTK+ interface.  As soon as we
discovered the space problem, we released a patch (actually a
replacement build file since the GTK+ interface is distributed as
source).  The space being used is not so much for the interface
itself, but for a one-time-only compilation that builds the whole
interface the first time it is used.  The patch eases the memory
requirements for building the interface.

  You can acquire this and all other patches in any release of Allegro
CL 6.2 by executing (sys:update-allegro), and then following any
displayed instructions to rebuild the images.

  Even though the Trial releases are officially unsupported, we
appreciate being alerted to problems people are having.  As a
developer at Franz Inc., I'm happy to provide gratis diagnoses and
fixes to unsupported users who inform of us of problems about which we
may not otherwise have known.  At the same time, we reserve the right
to consider what help is reasonable for unsupported users.  Thus, the
worst thing that will happen to an unsupported user reporting a
problem directly to us is a reply saying we'll be happy to provide
help if the user chooses to become supported.  Such users may also be
able to find help on the open allegro-cl mailing list (ask at
··················@franz.com to be added).

  Please feel free to follow up the GTK+ Trial release issues to
····@franz.com.

 Charley
---
Charles A. Cox, Franz Inc.        555 12th Street, Suite 1450
Internet: ···@franz.com           Oakland, CA  94607
WWW: http://www.franz.com/        Phone: (510) 452-2000; FAX: (510) 452-0182
From: JB
Charles A. Cox wrote:
> [...]

Thank you for your kindness.
As a matter a fairness I must admit that I cannot use the
new gtk binding for cmucl either, even though there are no
memory constraints whatsoever.

--
Janos B....