From: Raymond de Lacaze
Subject: ILC 2002  -  Last Call For Participation

                   ASSOCIATION OF LISP USERS (ALU)

        INTERNATIONAL LISP CONFERENCE 2002 (ILC 2002)

                    HOLIDAY INN - FINANCIAL DISTRICT

                         SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA

               SUNDAY, OCT. 27TH - THURSDAY, OCT. 31ST

                         LAST CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

NEW: Extended Registration deadline:  OCTOBER 7th, 2002

NEW: Registration Materials will be Fedexed the week of Oct. 14th.

NEW: The actual schedule of talks will be posted on the website later this
week.

NEW: Details about about the Napa Valley Wine tour on Friday, Nov. 1st are
now available on the website.

NEW: More tutorial details are now available on the website.

NEW: Competitions:

1. Dynamic Languages RoboCup Simulation League Competition

2. Divabot Beauty Contest!

Website: http://www.international-lisp-conference.org/

THE CONFERENCE

The Asociation of Lisp Users (ALU) is proud to announce the International
Lisp Conference 2002. The conference will take place at the Holiday Inn in
San Francisco's Financial District from October 27th through October 31st.

At the start of the 21st century we see the challenges ahead:

Applications will be more dynamic than ever and will be part of the fibers
of the Web, software and hardware robots will be our  assistants, and
biology will be source of both computational problems and programming
metaphors. Applications will be customized to individuals who happen upon
them, our needs and desires will be served by artificial beings, and our
software may more accurately resemble a termite nest than Rube Goldberg
inventions.

Will our mainstream concepts, approaches, and languages hold up? Where might
we turn for progress, inspiration, and technology? Was it right in front of
us all along? The International Lisp Conference addresses these questions
and more.

This four-day conference will bring together a mesh of brilliant minds from
a diverse international community that involves or borders the Lisp family
of languages. The conference will be uniquely multi-themed in nature, and
each day will paint a different theme. The themes  are  Lisp and Functional
Languages, Web Applications, Robotics & AI and Bioinformatics.  We have
gathered a *very* impressive list of invited speakers from each of these
communities that promise to deliver a captivating a stimulating conference
experience.

REGISTRATION

Registration information is available at:

http://www.international-lisp-conference.org/Overview/LC02-registration.html

MORE INFORMATION

For more information, again, please visit the website:

http://www.international-lisp-conference.org/

or contact Raymond de Lacaze at ·······@hotmail.com

From: Rob Warnock
Subject: Re: ILC 2002  -  Last Call For Participation
Raymond de Lacaze <·······@hotmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| ASSOCIATION OF LISP USERS (ALU)
| INTERNATIONAL LISP CONFERENCE 2002 (ILC 2002)
| HOLIDAY INN - FINANCIAL DISTRICT
| SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA
| SUNDAY, OCT. 27TH - THURSDAY, OCT. 31ST
+---------------

For the benefit of those coming from elsewhere, the weather right
now [Fri, 18 Oct 2002 02:02:42 PDT] in the San Francisco Bay Area
(and forecast to remain the same for most of the Conference week)
is a typical fall weather pattern:

- Fog (w/ some drizzle) along the Pacific coast evening, nights, and
  into the late mornings, with the nightly fog penetrating into the
  City of San Francisco proper and spreading as a low stratus layer
  over most of the Bay Area (including East Bay).

- The fog/stratus will burn off beginning far inland and progressing
  back towards the coast during each day, earlier the farther east one is.

- Depending on where you are, lows will be in the 40-50 F (4-10 C)
  range, with highs around 50-60 F (10-15 C) on the coast, 60-70 F
  (15-20 C) around the Bay, and 65-80 F (18-27 C) farther inland.
  The City of San Francisco itself partakes of both the "coastal"
  and "Bay" microclimates, depending on where in the City one is.

In short, dress for cool-ish (and occasionally misty) fall weather
at night, and cool-to-warm weather during the day. But don't overdress.
Typically a light windbreaker (and maybe a hat) will keep one warm
enough, and it may suddenly turn hotter unexpectedly during the day.

-Rob

p.s For those who can read METAR aviation reports, the most recent
reports from <URL:http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/metar.shtml> for
the San Francisco, Oakland, San Carlos, Palo Alto, and San Jose
airports (all showing 12-13 C) are:

    KSFO 180756Z 23006KT 10SM OVC016 13/09 A2999 RMK AO2 SLP156
    	T01280094 401720122
    KOAK 180753Z 27008KT 10SM OVC017 13/10 A3000 RMK AO2 SLP157
    	T01330100 401780122
    KSQL 180347Z 31010KT 10SM SCT030 12/09 A2996 RMK LAST
    KPAO 180347Z 30008KT 12SM FEW020 SCT200 12/08 A2995 RMK LAST
    KSJC 180753Z 34005KT 10SM OVC018 13/08 A2999 RMK AO2 SLP155
    	T01280083 401940111

The SQL/PAO reports stop at 9:00pm local, which which why they're
only showing "scattered/few" clouds at ~2-3 Kft, while the others
(4 hrs later) show "overcast" at 1600-1800'. Winds are light, 5-10 kts,
varying from out of the the SW to NW as one moves from the north to
south of the Bay. Horizontal visibility is quite good (but with
only a 3-4 C difference between temp & dew point, fog developing
later is possible), and the barometric pressure stands at ~30" Hg.

-----
Rob Warnock, PP-ASEL-IA		<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://www.rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Joe Marshall
····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:

> [Generic Bay Area Weather Forecast elided]

I've always wondered how California weather forecasters justified
getting their salary.
From: Marco Antoniotti
Joe Marshall <···@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> ····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:
>
> > [Generic Bay Area Weather Forecast elided]
>
> I've always wondered how California weather forecasters justified
> getting their salary.

The same can be said for Britis Isles as well :)  A forecast random
generator would do as well :)

Cheers

715 Broadway 10th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Will Deakin
Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> The same can be said for Britis Isles as well :)  A forecast random
> generator would do as well :)
Not at all. Having just experience a fine, bright and sunny, wet, rainy
with hail and sleet, windy and then calm day in the above I would humbly
suggest that a random generator would not do at all. What you need is a
breadth first search algorithm to output all values from a tree
containing all known weather -- excluding perhaps hurricanes or a
monsoon[1]. Also, AFAIK we didn't have any fog but then again I think I
heard the foghorn in the night.

:)w

[1] although I not sure -- the forcast for tommorrow sounds a bit racy...
From: Marco Antoniotti
Will Deakin <···········@hotmail.com> writes:

> Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> > The same can be said for Britis Isles as well :)  A forecast random
> > generator would do as well :)
> Not at all. Having just experience a fine, bright and sunny, wet,
> rainy with hail and sleet, windy and then calm day in the above I
> would humbly suggest that a random generator would not do at all. What
> you need is a breadth first search algorithm to output all values from
> a tree containing all known weather -- excluding perhaps hurricanes or
> a monsoon[1]. Also, AFAIK we didn't have any fog but then again I
> think I heard the foghorn in the night.
>
> :)w
>
> [1] although I not sure -- the forcast for tommorrow sounds a bit
> racy...

What was it? "If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes?"
:)

Cheers (while bracing for the NYC winter.... :) )

From: Rob Warnock
Marco Antoniotti  <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
+---------------
| What was it? "If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes?"
+---------------

Actually, in the SF Bay Area, the say is: "If you don't like the weather,
just drive 5 miles." [That's what I meant by "microclimates".]

And as far as meteorologists go, the ones here do o.k., really, given
that they're trying to predict a half-dozen different microclimates
within a span of a few dozen miles. If you separate the weather reports
into subclasses of "coast", "Peninsula", "South Bay", "East Bay",
"Napa Valley" (or "wine country"), "further inland", and "Central
Valley" and look at their accuracy of any single subclass, they're
generally pretty good (or at least as good as most other places).
It only *looks* vague & shotgun-like if you try to read the forecast
as a single "thing" (which it isn't, and can't be, at least not here).

-Rob

-----
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Will Deakin wrote:
> Not at all. Having just experience a fine, bright and sunny, wet,
> rainy with hail and sleet, windy and then calm day in the above I
> would humbly suggest that a random generator would not do at all. What
> you need is a breadth first search algorithm to output all values from
> a tree containing all known weather -- excluding perhaps hurricanes or
> a monsoon[1]. Also, AFAIK we didn't have any fog but then again I
> think I heard the foghorn in the night.

There's a funny (really a sad) story about the weather in the UK.  I
live in Scotland (well, mostly, in theory I live in Devon, but ...),
and we have what we laughingly call `mountains' here.  Actually We
call them mountains seriously, it's people from the continent who
laugh.

Every summer, people from Switzerland/Germany/Italy/etc who spend
their free time running up and down proper mountains come to Scotland
to laugh at our pathetic Scottish mountains before walking up them.
And every year a few of them die on these self same mountains.  I'd
like to say that it's the haggis that get them, but it's not: it's the
weather.

What happens is that experienced-continental-mountain-person gets up,
looks at sky, weather forecast, haggis warnings, barometer etc, thinks
`lovely sunny day, I'll just dash up this little tiny hill in my
shorts' (except they think it in foreign, I suppose).  Two hours later
they're half way up the side of a hill, it's four degrees without
taking the wind-chill from the 90MPH wind into account, the visibility
is zero, it's raining, and if they aren't already dead from exposure
they will be in half an hour.

(Of course, the figures do get slightly inflated since it's obviously
convenient to classify the tragic few walkers who actually *do* get
eaten by haggis as weather-related deaths.  Usually you never find the
remains, so we get away with it easily enough.)

There, I've talked about the weather on a newsgroup, you don't get
much better than that!  Now I have to go and finish my application to
the Met office (which will be Devon from next year, and about the only
will be about the only high-tech employer down there, if you count
FORTRAN as high-tech).  Maybe I'll actually be able to talk
authoritatively about the weather in newsgroups in a few years...

--tim
From: Vassil Nikolov
    On 18 Oct 2002 22:38:35 +0100, Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com> said:
    [...]
    TB> What happens is that experienced-continental-mountain-person gets up,
    TB> looks at sky, weather forecast, haggis warnings, barometer etc, thinks
    TB> `lovely sunny day, I'll just dash up this little tiny hill in my
    TB> shorts' (except they think it in foreign, I suppose).  Two hours later
    TB> they're half way up the side of a hill, it's four degrees without
    TB> taking the wind-chill from the 90MPH wind into account, the visibility
    TB> is zero, it's raining, and if they aren't already dead from exposure
    TB> they will be in half an hour.

Well, they didn't invent the old rule of `in the summer, don't go
to the mountains without a coat' for nothing...  (The second half
of the rule is, `in winter, without food,' since nobody is going to
forget their coat at that time of the year.)

    [...]
    TB> the tragic few walkers who actually *do* get
    TB> eaten by haggis

Unfortunately, the meaning of this is hidden from me, since the
only meaning of haggis I can find is a dish...

---Vassil.

--
Non-googlable is googlable.
From: Will Deakin
Vassil Nikolov wrote:
> Unfortunately, the meaning of this is hidden from me, since the
> only meaning of haggis I can find is a dish...
...and not true description the dangerous wee beasties that they really are!

;)w