From: Douglas Crosher
Subject: [ANN] Scieneer Common Lisp 1.1.1, website update.
October 1, 2002

The Scieneer (TM) Common Lisp 1.1 implementation may now be ordered
and downloaded from the website, http://www.scieneer.com/scl/
and features:

  * Multi-threading built upon the systems native POSIX thread libraries
    making it ideal for the delivery of Internet applications.

  * Support for Symmetrical Multi-Processing (SMP) for building scalable
    high performance applications.

  * Support for x86 RedHat Linux 7.3, SPARC Solaris 8, and HPPA HPUX 11.0.

  * Simple per-processor licensing.  Deploy the excellent dynamic
    environment offered by Common Lisp with your applications.

  * Low cost for single processor licensing.  Start development or deploy
    on a low cost single processor platform, moving to higher performance
    multi-processor platforms as needed.

The new maintenance release of Scieneer Common Lisp 1.1.1 includes
minor bug fixes, and samples SSL support.  Customers with a current
entitlement to SCL 1.1 may access the update via their account.

Evaluation versions may be download from the website, and now support
computer systems with up to four processors.  For other configurations
please contact us.

We thank all those who responded to our recent survey, and in response
we have revised the product offerings and pricing and would welcome
further feedback.

Regards,
Douglas Crosher

Scieneer Pty Ltd (ABN 42 092 062 934)

From: John Klein
Subject: Re: [ANN] Scieneer Common Lisp 1.1.1, website update.
Douglas Crosher <···@scieneer.com> wrote in message news:<·················@scieneer.com>...
> October 1, 2002
>
> The Scieneer (TM) Common Lisp 1.1 implementation may now be ordered
> and downloaded from the website, http://www.scieneer.com/scl/
> and features:

Is Scieneer is based on CMUCL?

This seems very spiffy, and the pricing structure looks quite
reasonable for the non-corporate user.

How does GC work with native MP?  And will it scale up to many
processors?
From: Dave Bakhash
········@yahoo.com (John Klein) writes:

> Is Scieneer is based on CMUCL?
>
> How does GC work with native MP?  And will it scale up to many
> processors?

I have similar (and overlapping) questions.  Does anyone know what the
foundation of this implementation is?  I have a feeling it's based on
CMUCL, and still can't see any advantages over CMUCL/SBCL as of yet.

Considering the platforms on which this implementation runs, I'm also
guessing it's based on CMUCL.

dave
From: Johannes Grødem
* Dave Bakhash <·····@alum.mit.edu>:

> I have similar (and overlapping) questions.  Does anyone know what the
> foundation of this implementation is?

Yes, it's based on CMUCL.

> I have a feeling it's based on CMUCL, and still can't see any
> advantages over CMUCL/SBCL as of yet.

If you don't consider threading to be a useful feature.  (That is,
Scieneer uses the POSIX threads standard libraries of the host
system.)  There's also Unicode-support, but I think CMUCL will get
that soon, too.

Oh, and there is an eli-mode for it.  (I haven't looked at it, but I'm
guessing it's a port of Franz' eli.  It works just like it, anyway.)

I'd say there are advantages over CMUCL/SBCL.  And it looks like it's
fairly cheap, too, at least from what I can tell from the price list
on the webpages.

--
Johannes Gr�dem <OpenPGP: 5055654C>
From: Marc Spitzer
"Johannes Gr�dem" <······@ifi.uio.no> wrote in
···················@unity.copyleft.no:

> * Dave Bakhash <·····@alum.mit.edu>:
>
>> I have similar (and overlapping) questions.  Does anyone know what the
>> foundation of this implementation is?
>
> Yes, it's based on CMUCL.
>
>> I have a feeling it's based on CMUCL, and still can't see any
>> advantages over CMUCL/SBCL as of yet.
>
> If you don't consider threading to be a useful feature.  (That is,
> Scieneer uses the POSIX threads standard libraries of the host
> system.)  There's also Unicode-support, but I think CMUCL will get
> that soon, too.

Do not forget customer support.  CLL and the cmucl lists are great but
you do not have a contract for support.

> Oh, and there is an eli-mode for it.  (I haven't looked at it, but I'm
> guessing it's a port of Franz' eli.  It works just like it, anyway.)

That looks interesting, what is the difference between eli and ilisp?

> I'd say there are advantages over CMUCL/SBCL.  And it looks like it's
> fairly cheap, too, at least from what I can tell from the price list
> on the webpages.

I just wish they supported freebsd.

marc
From: Johannes Grødem
* Marc Spitzer <········@optonline.net>:

>> Oh, and there is an eli-mode for it.  (I haven't looked at it, but I'm
>> guessing it's a port of Franz' eli.  It works just like it, anyway.)
> That looks interesting, what is the difference between eli and ilisp?

Well, the threading support seems to be the most important.  For
example, you can ask it to compile some expression/buffer/whatever and
it will do this in a separate thread.  While this is going on you can
continue to work in the toplevel.  Like with Franz' eli.  And output
from various threads pop up in separate Emacs-buffers, etc.

(I haven't really used it all that much, but it looks really nice.)

Assuming it has the same feature-set as Franz' eli, you could check
out the docs at:

http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/doc/eli.htm.

--
Johannes Gr�dem <OpenPGP: 5055654C>
From: Marco Antoniotti
"Johannes Gr�dem" <······@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> * Marc Spitzer <········@optonline.net>:
>
> >> Oh, and there is an eli-mode for it.  (I haven't looked at it, but I'm
> >> guessing it's a port of Franz' eli.  It works just like it, anyway.)
> > That looks interesting, what is the difference between eli and ilisp?
>
> Well, the threading support seems to be the most important.  For
> example, you can ask it to compile some expression/buffer/whatever and
> it will do this in a separate thread.  While this is going on you can
> continue to work in the toplevel.  Like with Franz' eli.  And output
> from various threads pop up in separate Emacs-buffers, etc.

Yep.  There have been several requests on the ILISP mailing lists to
support something similar to eli.  However, since one of the mission
goals of ILISP is to support as wide a range of CL (and some Scheme)
implementations and since threading support is limited among the CL
implementations, such facilities have taken low priority.

> (I haven't really used it all that much, but it looks really nice.)
>
> Assuming it has the same feature-set as Franz' eli, you could check
> out the docs at:
>
> http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/doc/eli.htm.

Maybe it is already so (I haven't checked), but it would be a good
thing if Franz declared that the status of the eli API etc etc is
"open" (for an appropriate definition of "open"), along the same lines
of the SIMPLE-STREAM interface.

Cheers

715 Broadway 10th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.