From: Jordan Katz
Subject: [a bit OT] Calling Scheme from Common Lisp (ACL)
Hi,

  I'm currently using Allegro Common Lisp 6.2 for my work.  I'd like
  to be able to call a Scheme package called SXML (see
  http://okmij.org/ftp/Scheme/xml.html) from my programs.  Does anyone
  know how I would go about doing this?  The Allegro manual only
  mentions foreign interfaces to Java and C, not Scheme.

Thanks a lot!
--
Jordan Katz <····@underlevel.net>  |  Mind the gap

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: [a bit OT] Calling Scheme from Common Lisp (ACL)
Jordan Katz <····@underlevel.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm currently using Allegro Common Lisp 6.2 for my work.  I'd like
>   to be able to call a Scheme package called SXML (see
>   http://okmij.org/ftp/Scheme/xml.html) from my programs.  Does anyone
>   know how I would go about doing this?  The Allegro manual only
>   mentions foreign interfaces to Java and C, not Scheme.
>
> Thanks a lot!

Check out Jonathan Rees's pseudoscheme as one possibility.

There might be a Scheme84 or Scheme48 or some such thing that's another
option--I think he had a byte code interpreter that ran in CL.

Someone also recently mentioned a Scheme to Common Lisp translator on here.
Check google.

There are probably also foreign function call mechanisms you can use, too.
From: Tim Daly, Jr.
Jordan Katz <····@underlevel.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm currently using Allegro Common Lisp 6.2 for my work.  I'd like
>   to be able to call a Scheme package called SXML (see
>   http://okmij.org/ftp/Scheme/xml.html) from my programs.  Does anyone
>   know how I would go about doing this?  The Allegro manual only
>   mentions foreign interfaces to Java and C, not Scheme.

You shouldn't really need an FFI for a Scheme program.  Scheme and CL
are like the hatchback and wagon versions of the same car; most of the
components are identical.  I would try to translate SXML into CL.
(IIRC, there are already a dozen translations into different Scheme
dialects kicking around).

I recently asked about Scheme to Lisp translators, and these two were
mentioned:

http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/ftpdir/pseudo/

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/scmxlate/scm2cl.html

> Thanks a lot!