From: marcel haesok
Subject: Saving runtime
Hi,
    I am a real novice lisper. I am learning LISP with Touretsky's book. The
only inconvenince I am having is having to run all the functions again
whenever I begin a new session. How do you save the runtime? I am
particularly interested in saving dtrace program. Once I have installed it
somehow and it was working fine. And now I can't seem to make it work.....
Thank you.

From: Richard Krush
Subject: Re: Saving runtime
"marcel haesok" <·········@attbi.com> writes:

> Hi,
>     I am a real novice lisper. I am learning LISP with Touretsky's book. The
> only inconvenince I am having is having to run all the functions again
> whenever I begin a new session. How do you save the runtime? I am
> particularly interested in saving dtrace program. Once I have installed it
> somehow and it was working fine. And now I can't seem to make it work.....
> Thank you.

How about using a text editor to save the code and then use LOAD function to
load it when you need to access it again?  This is how vast majority of other
languages do it and it's the most convenient way.  In addition to that, some
Common Lisp implementations have the ability to actually dump the runtime into
what is called a "core" file (the usual "core" files in UNIX are NOT related
to Lisp cores in any way), but it's extremely non-portable and uses a lot of
space.  Hope this helps!

Richard

--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War
IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein
From: Pascal Costanza
marcel haesok wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am a real novice lisper. I am learning LISP with Touretsky's book. The
> only inconvenince I am having is having to run all the functions again
> whenever I begin a new session. How do you save the runtime? I am
> particularly interested in saving dtrace program. Once I have installed it
> somehow and it was working fine. And now I can't seem to make it work.....
> Thank you.

This depends on the the Common Lisp implementation you use. Take a look
at its documentation. (If this doesn't work, join its mailing list and
repeat the question there.)

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
···············@web.de        Institute of Computer Science III
From: marcel haesok
Hi Pascal
    Thanks.
    I cannot  help feeling a deep respect for this amazing machinery of
newsgroups in general and 'comp.lang.lisp' in particular.
    There seems to be a collective 'good will' running underneath the
bedstream.
    Our capacity for gentleness is infiinite but our capacity to hate is
also infinite.
    As for our capacity to grasp new ideas, like a language like LISP---our
capacity is infinite to the power of infinite.... Imagine where will be the
'psyche'  (was this     what it was called? the IBM AI initiative? )
program twenty years from now---

·····················@web.de...

From: Will Deakin
Pascal Costanza wrote:
> This depends on the the Common Lisp implementation you use.
Alternatively let us know what the implementation is and I'm sure you
will recieve an answere. Unlike some other languages suffering from a
class instance identity crisis there is more than one implementation
of the c.l. and the syntax of saving a core does varies.

:)w
From: marcel haesok
Hi,
    I am using Allegro CL Trial Version 6.2 for Windows.
    I was going to look at the documentation, but it's so complex, if an
answer is given here,
    it would be a great saving of my elbow grease :) Thanks

·················@newsreaderm1.core.theplanet.net...

From: Coby Beck
"marcel haesok" <·········@attbi.com> wrote in message
··························@sccrnsc03...
> Hi,
>     I am using Allegro CL Trial Version 6.2 for Windows.
>     I was going to look at the documentation, but it's so complex, if an
> answer is given here,
>     it would be a great saving of my elbow grease :) Thanks

I'm quite sure the trial version of ACL will not save an image.  You'll have
to write a load file that loads and compiles all of your code.  If you keep
all of your files in the same directory it may be as easy as having these
statements in a one file:

(load "file1" :compile t) ;; if my allegro memories are correct...
(load "file2" :compile t) ;; or nil as you chose

and then load that file when you start.

HTH

--
Coby Beck