From: Henrik Motakef
Subject: CLIM examples
Hi,

I'm trying to get started with CLIM, and, well, it's huge. The spec
and the userguide from Xanalys are of course helpful, but to get a
feeling for when-to-use-what, it would be nice to have some example
applications to look at.

I have the examples that come with McCLIM, WeirdIRC and cl-reversi
(without being able to actually run it, but the sources are what
counts for my purpose anyway), as well as the examples on Digitools
FTP server and the CMU repository. Is there anything else I could look
at, preferably complete applications in source form?

As a sidenote, most of the apps I found seem to be pretty text-centric
- is this simply because Lispers like it that way, or is there some
reason intrinsic to CLIM itself? Or is it just that I didn't find the
counterexamples? Is it possible to write an application that behaves
like what J. Random GUI-User is used to, without having to work
against the environment?

tia
Henrik

From: Barry Wilkes
Subject: Re: CLIM examples
Henrik Motakef <··············@web.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get started with CLIM, and, well, it's huge. The spec
> and the userguide from Xanalys are of course helpful, but to get a
> feeling for when-to-use-what, it would be nice to have some example
> applications to look at.
>
> I have the examples that come with McCLIM, WeirdIRC and cl-reversi
> (without being able to actually run it, but the sources are what
> counts for my purpose anyway), as well as the examples on Digitools
> FTP server and the CMU repository. Is there anything else I could look
> at, preferably complete applications in source form?
>
> As a sidenote, most of the apps I found seem to be pretty text-centric
> - is this simply because Lispers like it that way, or is there some
> reason intrinsic to CLIM itself? Or is it just that I didn't find the
> counterexamples? Is it possible to write an application that behaves
> like what J. Random GUI-User is used to, without having to work
> against the environment?
>
> tia
> Henrik
Henrik,

If what you are trying to do is actually _build_ GUI apps in LispWorks, then I
think you will be better off taking a look at CAPI.  This allows you to very
easily write an application that behaves as J. Random GUI-User would expect.

On the other hand, I would not want to put you off taking a look at CLIM --
there are certainly some interesting ideas such as presentation types in
there which are worth study.  But for writing 'modern' GUI applications I
think you are much better off with CAPI.

Barry.

--
If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or
acquired a new one, check your pulse.  You may be dead.

-- Gelett Burgess (1866-1951)
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 27 Nov 2002 00:48:53 +0100, Henrik Motakef <··············@web.de>
wrote:

> I have the examples that come with McCLIM, WeirdIRC and cl-reversi
> (without being able to actually run it, but the sources are what
> counts for my purpose anyway), as well as the examples on Digitools
> FTP server and the CMU repository. Is there anything else I could look
> at, preferably complete applications in source form?

You already have most of what is available. You may also check the
following resources:

  CLIM Examples (by Ralf Moeller)
  http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~moeller/clim-examples/

  CLIM Primer (by Jason Kantz)