From: Vardhan Varma
Subject: CL -> native .elf, w/o library dependency
Hello,

  while there are these CL 'compilers' , they don't allow to create a
'redistributable' binary ... like in scheme i can use stalin/bigloo to
get a C and run thru gcc and ld to have a fat binary, which i can send
over to friend.

  Is there a (maintained : clicc seems to be dead since 94 ) CL -> C
transalator ?

--TIA
--Vardhan

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: CL -> native .elf, w/o library dependency
············@yahoo.com (Vardhan Varma) writes:

> Hello,
>
>   while there are these CL 'compilers' , they don't allow to create a
> 'redistributable' binary ... like in scheme i can use stalin/bigloo to
> get a C and run thru gcc and ld to have a fat binary, which i can send
> over to friend.

The commercial implementations can all make "stand-alone" binaries.
On Unix, it's always easy, though.  Here's how we do:

  $ lisp
  CMU Common Lisp 18d, running on famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU
  Send questions to ··········@cons.org. and bug reports to ·········@cons.org.
  Loaded subsystems:
      Python 1.0, target SPARCstation/Solaris 2
      CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
  * (load "system")
  ;; ...
  * (ext:save-lisp "lib/lisp.core")
  ;; ...
  $ which lisp
  /opt/local/packages/cmucl/bin/lisp
  $ cp /opt/local/packages/cmucl/bin/lisp ./lib/lisp
  $ cat > application
  #!/bin/sh
  exec lib/lisp -core app/lisp.core
  $ chmod a+x application
  $ cd ..
  $ tar -cf my-application.tar my-application/*

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Dave Bakhash
············@yahoo.com (Vardhan Varma) writes:

> Is there a (maintained : clicc seems to be dead since 94 ) CL -> C
> transalator ?

Though there are surely others who know more about ECLS:

 http://ecls.sf.net

I don't know the level of readability you'll get from the generated C,
but it is maintained.

dave
From: Marco Antoniotti
············@yahoo.com (Vardhan Varma) writes:

> Hello,
>
>   while there are these CL 'compilers' , they don't allow to create a
> 'redistributable' binary ... like in scheme i can use stalin/bigloo to
> get a C and run thru gcc and ld to have a fat binary, which i can send
> over to friend.

If you only need a ELF file then ECLS is your friend http://ecls.sf.net.

Cheers

715 Broadway 10th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.