From: Pratibha
Subject: common-lisp-hyperspec-symbol-table
In one's (or one's site-wide) ilisp init file,
is it required for the variable
common-lisp-hyperspec-symbol-table to be set to a
local copy of the HyperSpec/Data/Map_sym.txt file?

If not required, is it recommended?  Perhaps for
correctness or performance reasons?

Or can this variable be left unset, or set to a URL
like "http://anothermachine/.../Map_sym.txt" instead
of a local file?

I assume that common-lisp-hyperspec-root and
cltl2-root-url can be set to any URL, not just a
local one like "file:/...".
From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: common-lisp-hyperspec-symbol-table
··········@yahoo.com (Pratibha) writes:

> In one's (or one's site-wide) ilisp init file,
> is it required for the variable
> common-lisp-hyperspec-symbol-table to be set to a
> local copy of the HyperSpec/Data/Map_sym.txt file?

No. If you use a current version of the CLHS (version 6.0) you can
leave this variable set to NIL (in which case the pre-parsed symbol
table will be used instead). This applies to local copies of the CLHS
as well as to remote URLs.

> If not required, is it recommended?  Perhaps for
> correctness or performance reasons?

No. If you're concerned about performance it should be (a tiny little
bit) faster to use the pre-parsed symbol table. Note that this
'performance issue' only applies to the initialization phase of ILISP.

As for correctness you just have to check that the version of your
symbol table matches the version of the CLHS you're using. If you use
the current version (6.0) which I'd recommend, you don't have to worry
about correctness or performance at all.

If, on the other hand, your symbol table doesn't match your CLHS copy
the Hyperspec lookup feature won't work at all. You can call this
'0% correctness' if you want... :)

> Or can this variable be left unset,

Yes, see above.

> or set to a URL like "http://anothermachine/.../Map_sym.txt" instead
> of a local file?

No, currently not.

> I assume that common-lisp-hyperspec-root and cltl2-root-url can be
> set to any URL, not just a local one like "file:/...".

Yes. See the docstrings and the initial values for these variables.

I'd suggest that you send ILISP-specific questions to the ILISP-help
mailing list.

Cheers,
Edi.