From: Howard Stearns
Subject: petition for teaching lisp or scheme to college students?
Does anyone have any pointers to information on a petition a few years
ago for creating Lisp or Scheme curriculum for college students? I think
it was for the ACM or NSF.

I can't find anything by google.  Am I misremembering?

I ask because there is a related thing being developed for Java for high
school students, and I'd like to get the Lisp arguments to the grant
writers.  I don't suppose they can change their minds altogether (and
I'm not sure they should!), but maybe some aspect of Lisp can be covered...

Howard Stearns
http://www.stearnsfamily.org/howard

From: Kurt B. Kaiser
Howard Stearns <··············@attbi.com> writes:

> Does anyone have any pointers to information on a petition a few years
> ago for creating Lisp or Scheme curriculum for college students? I
> think it was for the ACM or NSF.

These guys may know:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/
http://www.teach-scheme.org/

The Scheme part of PLT moved to Northeastern recently.

> I can't find anything by google.  Am I misremembering?
>
> I ask because there is a related thing being developed for Java for
> high school students,

Also PLT, still at Rice:
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~cork/teachjava/

> and I'd like to get the Lisp arguments to the grant writers.  I
> don't suppose they can change their minds altogether (and I'm not
> sure they should!), but maybe some aspect of Lisp can be covered...

The ACM apparently decided not to decide:
http://www.acm.org/sigcse/cc2001/cs-introductory-courses.html

KBK
From: Jens Axel Søgaard
Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:
> Howard Stearns <··············@attbi.com> writes:
>

>>Does anyone have any pointers to information on a petition a few years
>>ago for creating Lisp or Scheme curriculum for college students? I
>>think it was for the ACM or NSF.

There was a similar question on the plt-edu list some weeks ago.
This would be a good place to ask.