From: John Klein
Subject: McCLIM status?
Hello,

Does anyone know the status of McCLIM?
(http://www.mikemac.com/mikemac/McCLIM/) ?

This is a free CLIM clone.

I downloaded the tarball at this site a couple
of weeks ago, compiled it successfully under CMUCL 18d,
and tried the demos.  All of them failed with
errors like the one appended below.  Runnning
the demos inside clim-demo::run-test as suggested
in the INSTALL.CMU file doesn't help.

There always seems to be a problem with
clim:medium-something-or-other.

So is McCLIM in general broken, or just
the CMUCL implementation, or am I being stupid?
Does anyone know if the project is still alive?
There are plenty of files with 2002 timestamps, so
I assume it is going strong.

Thanks in advance,
John

--------------------------------

(clim-demo::calculator)
=> [gives error like]

(pcl::|(FAST-METHOD NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD (T))|
  #<unused-arg>
  #<unused-arg>
  #<Standard-Generic-Function clim:medium-draw-polygon* (4)
                                       <481FA881}>
                            (#<clim-extensions:raised-pane
                            "(Unnamed Pane)" {48F32895}>
                            (0.0d0 0.0d0 2.0d0 2.0d0 2.0d0
                           ...)
                           t t))
Source:
; File: target:pcl/braid.lisp
(cerror "Retry call to ~S" 'no-applicable-method :function
generic-function ...)

From: Robert STRANDH
Subject: Re: McCLIM status?
I was actually hoping that Tim Moore would answer this one, since he
is more up to date about what is currently missing, but here goes.

········@yahoo.com (John Klein) writes:

> Does anyone know the status of McCLIM?
> (http://www.mikemac.com/mikemac/McCLIM/) ?

McCLIM is being actively developed.  It was presented at the ILC 2002,
and demoed in real time on a Mac with OpenMCL.  It is used in Gilbert
Baumann's Web browser and in an IRC client.  I also personally use it
for the interactive extensible score editor Gsharp (soon to go
public).

I find McCLIM incredibly stable.  Some functionality is still missing,
but what is implemented is actually pretty good.

> I downloaded the tarball at this site a couple
> of weeks ago, compiled it successfully under CMUCL 18d,
> and tried the demos.  All of them failed with
> errors like the one appended below.  Runnning
> the demos inside clim-demo::run-test as suggested
> in the INSTALL.CMU file doesn't help.

If you discover something that does not work, we would like to know
about it.  Send email to ·········@mikemac.com.  Sometimes it is a
bug.  Occasionally, it is something we haven't implemented yet.

So far, we have concentrated our efforts on getting a full
implementation.  That means that we have neglected public relations
issues such as making sure that every snapshot works.  It is therefore
entirely possible that a snapshot has not been completely tested.
Usually, getting the next one will fix the problem.  We are also
working on giving out anonymous read-only CVS access, though I don't
know whether this is making progress.

Though I encourage sending us bug reports, we actually don't use a
bug-tracking system yet, and we have no staff specifically assigned to
tracking and fixing bugs.  That doesn't mean it won't get fixed,
though.

> There always seems to be a problem with
> clim:medium-something-or-other.
>
> So is McCLIM in general broken, or just
> the CMUCL implementation, or am I being stupid?
> Does anyone know if the project is still alive?
> There are plenty of files with 2002 timestamps, so
> I assume it is going strong.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John
>

> --------------------------------
>
> (clim-demo::calculator)
> => [gives error like]
>
> (pcl::|(FAST-METHOD NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD (T))|
>   #<unused-arg>
>   #<unused-arg>
>   #<Standard-Generic-Function clim:medium-draw-polygon* (4)
>                                        <481FA881}>
>                             (#<clim-extensions:raised-pane
>                             "(Unnamed Pane)" {48F32895}>
>                             (0.0d0 0.0d0 2.0d0 2.0d0 2.0d0
>                            ...)
>                            t t))
> Source:
> ; File: target:pcl/braid.lisp
> (cerror "Retry call to ~S" 'no-applicable-method :function
> generic-function ...)

This problem looks like you have not compiled a backend (such as CLX).
The medium and medium-draw-xx drawing functions are specific to a
backend, so that when no backend exists, there will be no method for
that particular type of medium.

--
Robert Strandh
From: John Klein
Robert STRANDH <·······@labri.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote in message news:<··············@serveur3.labri.fr>...

> McCLIM is being actively developed.  It was presented at the ILC 2002,
> and demoed in real time on a Mac with OpenMCL.

This is great news.   I wasn't sure the project was alive because
the web page hasn't changed in a while.  All the other windowing systems
for CMUCL are a bit antiquated/unused/unfriendly so
it is wonderful to hear that a well documented standard like
CLIM is being actively developed.

> > There always seems to be a problem with
> > clim:medium-something-or-other.
>
> This problem looks like you have not compiled a backend (such as CLX).
> The medium and medium-draw-xx drawing functions are specific to a
> backend, so that when no backend exists, there will be no method for
> that particular type of medium.

Hmmm..it looks like I am compiling and loading things
like Backends/CLX/medium.x86f, so it doesn't look like the
lack of a backend is the problem.  Also, a window pops up before
the error occurs.

I just tried the latest tarball on the mikemac.com, and
it does the same thing, so I'll have to contact
the McCLIM developers directly.  But thanks again for affirming
that the project is alive and well.