From: Arthur T. Murray
Subject: Mad people of comp.lang.lisp
http://www.tfeb.org/lisp/mad-people.html -- Mad People of
comp.lang.lisp (by Tim Bradshaw and including Tim Bradshaw)
is now reachable from "Lisp for AI Textbook Software" at
http://mind.sourceforge.net/lisp.html -- updated 17 Nov 2002.

A.T. Murray
--
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/aisource.html is the cluster of Mind
programs described in the AI textbook "AI4U" based on AI Mind-1.1

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: Mad people of comp.lang.lisp
* Arthur T Murray wrote:
> http://www.tfeb.org/lisp/mad-people.html -- Mad People of
> comp.lang.lisp (by Tim Bradshaw and including Tim Bradshaw)
> is now reachable from "Lisp for AI Textbook Software" at
> http://mind.sourceforge.net/lisp.html -- updated 17 Nov 2002.

This must be some kind of horrible revenge for one of the other
entries on that page.  As far as I know I have never advertised it, I
guess I need a robots.txt.

--tim
From: Tim Lavoie

    TB> * Arthur T Murray wrote:
    >> http://www.tfeb.org/lisp/mad-people.html -- Mad People of
    >> comp.lang.lisp (by Tim Bradshaw and including Tim Bradshaw) is
    >> now reachable from "Lisp for AI Textbook Software" at
    >> http://mind.sourceforge.net/lisp.html -- updated 17 Nov 2002.

    TB> This must be some kind of horrible revenge for one of the
    TB> other entries on that page.  As far as I know I have never
    TB> advertised it, I guess I need a robots.txt.

Joy. "ATM" is one of the constant quacks on comp.ai.alife, making wild
claims but having no evidence.

  "Quick Woman! Git ma killfile from the closet!"
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Tim Lavoie wrote:

> Joy. "ATM" is one of the constant quacks on comp.ai.alife, making wild
> claims but having no evidence.

I always thought that that was, erm, practically mandatory for people
working in AI?

--tim
From: JB
Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> * Tim Lavoie wrote:
>
>> Joy. "ATM" is one of the constant quacks on
>> comp.ai.alife, making wild claims but having no evidence.
>
> I always thought that that was, erm, practically mandatory
> for people working in AI?
>
> --tim

In the thirties the Nazis had an exhibition for "Entartete
Kunst": "Degenerated Art" ist my best translation. Hungary
was an ally of Germany and for this reason the works of the
Hungarian composer B�la Bart�k were not exhibited.
Bart�k, who hated the Nazis anyway, was very much offended
when he learnt about this.
--
JB
From: Will Deakin
JB wrote:

> In the thirties the Nazis had an exhibition for "Entartete
> Kunst": "Degenerated Art" ist my best translation.

I take it that you are serious and state that Godwin's law will
(hopefully) now take effect.

I also believe there were (at least) two attempts by the Nazi's to
exhibit `degenerate art', one dealing with painting and sculpture and
such and another with stage works or songs. (I remember reading that
Brecht's Threepenny Opera proved particularly popular because people
knew that it could well be the last time they were able to see it...)

(However, even for me it was a bit out of silly mid off to suggest that
there *is* a link between calling some people mad on a webpage and the
systematic destruction of artists by the Nazi's. But there you go.
Unless the whole Bartok story was a cry for inclusion?!)

;)w
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Will Deakin wrote:
> (However, even for me it was a bit out of silly mid off to suggest
> that there *is* a link between calling some people mad on a webpage
> and the systematic destruction of artists by the Nazi's. But there you
> go.

I wonder if he looked closely at the list?  Somewhere around here we
either need a tail-call optimizing universe or there's going to be a
stack overflow, and I'll have to warm boot the world again.

> Unless the whole Bartok story was a cry for inclusion?!)

Not nearly good enough I'm afraid.

--tim
From: Tim Lavoie

    T> * Tim Lavoie wrote:
    >> Joy. "ATM" is one of the constant quacks on comp.ai.alife,
    >> making wild claims but having no evidence.

    > I always thought that that was, erm, practically mandatory for
    > people working in AI?

Perhaps, but his rambling in particular is loopy enough to make me
think "failed Turing test" more than maligned brilliance.

                -- Henry Spencer