From: Timofey Sleptsov
Subject: GNU Common Lisp
Hi!

I am newbie in Lisp.
As lisp implementation i choose clisp,
but later i have been download gcl-2.5, and all goes wrong.

When i try run my first program in lisp with clisp all work good:

[············@sleptsov:$ clisp 1st.lsp

9
[············@sleptsov:$

but when i try same program with gcl, it print error message:

[············@sleptsov:$ gcl -f 1st.lsp

Error: The variable X is unbound.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by SYSTEM::SET-UP-TOP-LEVEL.
Backtrace: system::gcl-top-level > system::set-up-top-level > +

this is listing of my program:
[············@sleptsov:$ cat 1st.lsp
(defun cool(x y)
  (+ x y))

(print (cool 5 4))
[············@sleptsov:$

What wrong?

--
Best regards
Timothey Sleptsov

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: GNU Common Lisp
Timofey Sleptsov <············@fromru.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I am newbie in Lisp.
> As lisp implementation i choose clisp,
> but later i have been download gcl-2.5, and all goes wrong.

GCL is primarily useful as a host for maxima.  They're working on
making it generally useful, but if you want a GNU-branded Common Lisp,
you should use CLISP (full name: GNU CLISP)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Will Deakin
Timofey Sleptsov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am newbie in Lisp.
> As lisp implementation i choose clisp,
> but later i have been download gcl-2.5, and all goes wrong.

When you talk here about lisp I will *assume* you refer to common lisp
-- but let me know if you don't. If this is the case, in clisp you have
a compiler that conforms -- or at least only doesn't conform in a well
defined fashion -- to the ansi common lisp standard. In contrast gcl
doesn't or even (historically) try to. I believe there is currently work
to try and fix this.

> What wrong?

IMHO if it is common lisp that you want to write, then gcl is broken.

:)w
From: John Paul Wallington
Timofey Sleptsov <············@fromru.com> wrote:

> [············@sleptsov:$ gcl -f 1st.lsp
>
> Error: The variable X is unbound.
> Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> Error signalled by SYSTEM::SET-UP-TOP-LEVEL.
> Backtrace: system::gcl-top-level > system::set-up-top-level > +
>
> this is listing of my program:
> [············@sleptsov:$ cat 1st.lsp
> (defun cool(x y)
>   (+ x y))
>
> (print (cool 5 4))
>
> What wrong?

The -f option will open the file, _skip its first line_, then read and
eval the rest of the forms in the file.

--
John Paul Wallington