From: Brian Kendig
Subject: Open-source lisp implementations?
What's the best open-source Lisp implementation for Unix these days?

I want to use Lisp on Mac OS X.  I saw the other thread here about Linux
on Mac OS X, but I can't tell which of the implementations being
discussed are free and which are hundreds of dollars.

Is Emacs the best?  Is XLisp still popular?  Or is there a better Common
Lisp package out there?

From: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Re: Open-source lisp implementations?
On 11/15/02 3:40 PM, in article
···························@newsfeed.infoave.net, "Brian Kendig"
<·····@enchanter.net> wrote:

> What's the best open-source Lisp implementation for Unix these days?
>
> I want to use Lisp on Mac OS X.  I saw the other thread here about Linux
> on Mac OS X, but I can't tell which of the implementations being
> discussed are free and which are hundreds of dollars.
>
> Is Emacs the best?  Is XLisp still popular?  Or is there a better Common
> Lisp package out there?

I'm pretty happy with CLISP. I got it with Fink as recommended on the CLISP
site. It integrates well with the emacs that comes pre-installed with OSX.

Do read the documentation in the editors.txt file and set up your .emacs
file accordingly. CLISP will work stand alone but it's much nicer under
emacs. Of course you have to learn some emacs which is not exactly trivial.

From: Matthew Danish
On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 05:40:01PM -0500, Brian Kendig wrote:
> What's the best open-source Lisp implementation for Unix these days?
>
> I want to use Lisp on Mac OS X.  I saw the other thread here about Linux
> on Mac OS X, but I can't tell which of the implementations being
> discussed are free and which are hundreds of dollars.
>
> Is Emacs the best?  Is XLisp still popular?  Or is there a better Common
> Lisp package out there?

Keep in mind that Emacs and Xlisp are not Common Lisp, nor are they
very modern.

Not sure what you mean by Linux on OS X, do you mean Lisp on OS X?

Open-source Common Lisp implementations for Mac OS X:

OpenMCL, CLISP, and hopefully SBCL soon.

Links to these can be found at <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/index>

Free personal editions of commercial products:

Allegro CL <http://www.franz.com>
MCL 5 (when it is released in January, I presume) <http://www.digitool.com>

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: Brian Kendig
Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Not sure what you mean by Linux on OS X, do you mean Lisp on OS X?

D'oh!  That's what I meant.  That'll teach me to write about Lisp while
people are talking about Linux right beside me.
From: Pascal Costanza
Matthew Danish wrote:

[Common Lisp on Mac OS X]

> Free personal editions of commercial products:
>
> Allegro CL <http://www.franz.com>
> MCL 5 (when it is released in January, I presume) <http://www.digitool.com>

Not quite right - as of yet, MCL doesn't come in a free personal
edition. They only provide a version that shuts down after 15 mins. of
use. You can start it as often as you want, but of course 15 mins. are
not particularly useful in the long run.

The people at Digitool have recommended OpenMCL as a free Common Lisp
implementation.

Pascal

--
Given any rule, however �fundamental� or �necessary� for science, there
are always circumstances when it is advisable not only to ignore the
From: Chris Gehlker
On 11/15/02 7:49 PM, in article ············@newsreader2.netcologne.de,
"Pascal Costanza" <········@web.de> wrote:

> Matthew Danish wrote:
>
> [Common Lisp on Mac OS X]
>
>> Free personal editions of commercial products:
>>
>> Allegro CL <http://www.franz.com>
>> MCL 5 (when it is released in January, I presume) <http://www.digitool.com>
>
> Not quite right - as of yet, MCL doesn't come in a free personal
> edition. They only provide a version that shuts down after 15 mins. of
> use. You can start it as often as you want, but of course 15 mins. are
> not particularly useful in the long run.

I believe that you can get a trial password that's good for a month if you
are willing to give personal data to Digitool. You  can also buy the version
that runs under Classic for < $100.

I messed with it for about 15 minutes and didn't see advantages of the free
implementations. But I don't know much about Lisp.

From: Kenny Tilton
Pascal Costanza wrote:
> Matthew Danish wrote:
>
> [Common Lisp on Mac OS X]
>
>> Free personal editions of commercial products:
>>
>> Allegro CL <http://www.franz.com>
>> MCL 5 (when it is released in January, I presume)
>> <http://www.digitool.com>

Buy (the beta) now to save 33% (I think it is).

> Not quite right - as of yet, MCL doesn't come in a free personal
> edition. They only provide a version that shuts down after 15 mins. of
> use. You can start it as often as you want, but of course 15 mins. are
> not particularly useful in the long run.

And note that that is the OS9 version, not the OS X native. otoh, I saw
they say you can contact sales to get a key or something so the demo
won't go down after 15min.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
From: Pascal Costanza
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Pascal Costanza wrote:
>

>> Not quite right - as of yet, MCL doesn't come in a free personal
>> edition. They only provide a version that shuts down after 15 mins. of
>> use. You can start it as often as you want, but of course 15 mins. are
>> not particularly useful in the long run.
>

> And note that that is the OS9 version, not the OS X native. otoh, I saw
> they say you can contact sales to get a key or something so the demo
> won't go down after 15min.

Yes that's right - I have forgotten that.

Pascal

From: Steven L. Collins
> [Common Lisp on Mac OS X]

I don't think Roger Corman's Power Lisp support's OS X as of yet.  But I
would not be surprised to see him upgrade Power Lisp to support OS X.  You
can keep up to date on Power Lisp at the following link:
http://www.cormanlisp.com/PowerLisp.html

Steven
From: Brian Kendig
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!  It looks like people are saying
that the best open-source Common Lisp implementations for Mac OS X are
CLISP and OpenMCL...

Now, another question: do both of these have good TCP/IP networking
support, so that applications can communicate with server processes
across a network?
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Brian Kendig <·····@enchanter.net> writes:

> Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!  It looks like people are saying
> that the best open-source Common Lisp implementations for Mac OS X are
> CLISP and OpenMCL...

For OS X, I'd say that OpenMCL is pretty objectively better (for one
thing, it's got really good native bindings, including to Cocoa, while
CLISP doesn't yet have it's FFI on OS X).  CLISP of course has its usual
advantage, though, that you can write implementation-dependant code
and have it run on essentially any OS/hardware combo.

> Now, another question: do both of these have good TCP/IP networking
> support, so that applications can communicate with server processes
> across a network?

Naturally!

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Chris Gehlker
On 11/16/02 6:11 PM, in article ···············@apocalypse.OCF.Berkeley.EDU,
"Thomas F. Burdick" <···@apocalypse.OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> Brian Kendig <·····@enchanter.net> writes:
>
>> Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!  It looks like people are saying
>> that the best open-source Common Lisp implementations for Mac OS X are
>> CLISP and OpenMCL...
>
> For OS X, I'd say that OpenMCL is pretty objectively better (for one
> thing, it's got really good native bindings, including to Cocoa, while
> CLISP doesn't yet have it's FFI on OS X).  CLISP of course has its usual
> advantage, though, that you can write implementation-dependant code
> and have it run on essentially any OS/hardware combo.

When I looked at OpenMCL a short while ago, their page mentioned problems
building on Jag. Thomas's post reminded me to look again and they had a
.deb. I didn't even have to build it. Thanks Thomas.