From: Martti Halminen
Subject: Re: Newbie editor question
Chris Gehlker wrote:

> My situation is that I'm having fun learning Lisp but I can't seem to find
> great tools. I'm running CLISP as an inferior lisp under emacs on Jaguar. I
> set up my .emacs file as shown in the editors.txt file that came with CLISP.
> This works when I'm typing in code but when I go back and edit previous
> lines emacs doesn't reflow the lines following the edit point. I keep thing
> there is some key binding to re-format the whole buffer but I can't seem to
> find it. It's kind of a drag to being trying to learn a new language and to
> have to spend time learning a new editor.
>
> I'm not married to the CLISP/emacs combo but I looked at a couple of Lisp
> IDEs and they didn't seem better.

Generally, most CL programmers use some variant of emacs (GNU Emacs,
Xemacs, Zmacs, Hemlock, FRED, whatever) as their programming
environment, so you are unlikely to find much better support elsewhere.

- some additional help on top of bare emacs:
ILISP http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp/

Your problem seems to be that you expect different behaviour from emacs
than it natively does: it only does operations on explicit commands, so
you have to tell it that you want re-indentation.

Brute force: move the cursor to next line and hit TAB.
More civilized: try stuff like indent-sexp or indent-region.
- I'm not sure what keybindings they may have on your machine, as I have
Franz eli bindings on my emacs, which may have changed the defaults.

Generally, try C-h b or C-h a indent etc.

From: Chris Gehlker
On 11/14/02 10:27 AM, in article ·················@kolumbus.fi, "Martti
Halminen" <···············@kolumbus.fi> wrote:

> Chris Gehlker wrote:
>
>> My situation is that I'm having fun learning Lisp but I can't seem to find
>> great tools. I'm running CLISP as an inferior lisp under emacs on Jaguar. I
>> set up my .emacs file as shown in the editors.txt file that came with CLISP.
>> This works when I'm typing in code but when I go back and edit previous
>> lines emacs doesn't reflow the lines following the edit point. I keep thing
>> there is some key binding to re-format the whole buffer but I can't seem to
>> find it. It's kind of a drag to being trying to learn a new language and to
>> have to spend time learning a new editor.
>>
>> I'm not married to the CLISP/emacs combo but I looked at a couple of Lisp
>> IDEs and they didn't seem better.
>
> Generally, most CL programmers use some variant of emacs (GNU Emacs,
> Xemacs, Zmacs, Hemlock, FRED, whatever) as their programming
> environment, so you are unlikely to find much better support elsewhere.

Well, I have heard of programmers who actually use vi. Never met one in real
life though.

> - some additional help on top of bare emacs:
> ILISP http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp/

Great, I'll check this out.

> Your problem seems to be that you expect different behaviour from emacs
> than it natively does: it only does operations on explicit commands, so
> you have to tell it that you want re-indentation.
>
> Brute force: move the cursor to next line and hit TAB.
> More civilized: try stuff like indent-sexp or indent-region.

Indent-region-mode! That's just the ticket. I thought it had to be in emacs
someplace.

I had figured out the tab thingee. That's too slow for refactoring a bunch
of code though.

> - I'm not sure what keybindings they may have on your machine, as I have
> Franz eli bindings on my emacs, which may have changed the defaults.

C-M-\. Thanks a lot.