From: Chris Gehlker
Subject: Re: Newbie editor question
On 11/14/02 9:24 AM, in article ················@web.de, "Pascal Costanza"
<········@web.de> wrote:

> Chris Gehlker wrote:
>
>> My situation is that I'm having fun learning Lisp but I can't seem to find
>> great tools. I'm running CLISP as an inferior lisp under emacs on Jaguar.
>
> With Jaguar, you mean Mac OS X, right?

Yes. Version X.2 to be picky.

>> I'm not married to the CLISP/emacs combo but I looked at a couple of Lisp
>> IDEs and they didn't seem better.
>
> The only Common Lisps with IDEs on the Mac OS X I am aware of are
> Macintosh Common Lisp and PowerLisp.
>
> Macintosh Common Lisp offers versions both for OS X (MCL 5.0) and for
> "classic" Mac OS (MCL 4.3.x). The latter is quite inexpensive and works
> well in classic mode under OS X. See http://www.digitool.com for further
> information. (They also have a time-restricted demo version.)
>
> PowerLisp is available for free but runs only in classic mode. It
> doesn't implement the ANSI standard completely and there are no current
> plans to port it to OS X AFAIK. Depending on your requirements, it might
> be good enough to play around with. See
> http://www.cormanlisp.com/PowerLisp.html

These don't seem to have smarter editors than emacs. Have you had a chance
to play with the Project Builder editor in full "Syntax Aware" mode? It's a
thing of beauty. Cmd-M-I says "I have been jumping around editing in this
buffer; clean it up. I can't seem to get emacs to do that. It just wants to
deal with one line at a time. I like syntax aware editing so much that I
wrote the syntax aware editor for Ruby. Maybe I'll try the same for Lisp
when I know Lisp better.

> I think CMUCL is currently being ported to Mac OS X which could be a
> nice alternative. (I am not sure if this includes an IDE.)
>
> All other CL implementations currently available for Mac OS X don't ship
> with an IDE.

I don't really *need* and IDE although I'd like one. Just a smarter editor.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I found your Lisp site. It's
great.

From: Thomas A. Russ
Chris Gehlker <·······@fastq.com> writes:

> These don't seem to have smarter editors than emacs. Have you had a chance
> to play with the Project Builder editor in full "Syntax Aware" mode? It's a
> thing of beauty. Cmd-M-I says "I have been jumping around editing in this
> buffer; clean it up. I can't seem to get emacs to do that. It just wants to
> deal with one line at a time. I like syntax aware editing so much that I
> wrote the syntax aware editor for Ruby. Maybe I'll try the same for Lisp
> when I know Lisp better.

Well, most of the C-M-... commands deal with syntactic units.

One command that I use a lot for situations like this is C-M-Q
(indent S-Expression).

From: Pascal Costanza
Chris Gehlker wrote:

> These don't seem to have smarter editors than emacs. Have you had a chance
> to play with the Project Builder editor in full "Syntax Aware" mode? It's a
> thing of beauty. Cmd-M-I says "I have been jumping around editing in this
> buffer; clean it up. I can't seem to get emacs to do that. It just wants to
> deal with one line at a time. I like syntax aware editing so much that I
> wrote the syntax aware editor for Ruby. Maybe I'll try the same for Lisp
> when I know Lisp better.

I still don't understand what you would like to have. In MCL's FRED I
can select a block of code and pressing tab will reformat the whole
block. (However, this doesn't change line breaks, it just reformats each
line in the selected block.)

Of course, you can do a "Select All" and then press tab.

Is this closer to what you want?

I am sorry, I haven't used ProjectBuilder yet, just taken a small
glimpse at it.

> Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I found your Lisp site. It's
> great.

Thanks. :)

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
···············@web.de        Institute of Computer Science III