From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Lisp conference photos
I've just returned from the International Lisp Conference in San
Francisco. Superb event with a lot of well-known names from the lisp
world in attendance. The sessions were really great as were the
discussions that took place before/after/during them.

A number of people asked for photos from the event, so I took
some pictures while I was there and have put them up on the web.
A couple of caveats though - I am not a photographer and my
camera isn't very good ;-)

Here's the url: http://lisp.home.attbi.com/ilc_2002.htm

--
Bill Clementson

From: Rand Sobriquet
Subject: Re: Lisp conference photos
> A number of people asked for photos from the event, so I took
> some pictures while I was there and have put them up on the web.
> A couple of caveats though - I am not a photographer and my
> camera isn't very good ;-)

I have been mislead!  Growing a beard is NOT the final step to Lisp
guruhood?

(Bill, thanks for the pictures. I would have LOVED to go, but they've
chained me to the oar.)
From: Bill Clementson
··········@eudoramail.com (Rand Sobriquet) writes:

> (Bill, thanks for the pictures. I would have LOVED to go, but they've
> chained me to the oar.)

You're welcome. This was an excellent educational experience for me and
I'm glad I was able to go to it. However, there are plans to hold
another conference at the same time next year in NY so hopefully you'll
be able to saw through the chains by then ;-)

--
Bill Clementson
From: Abhijit Rao
On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 22:14:28 GMT, Bill Clementson <·······@attbi.com>
wrote:
>A number of people asked for photos from the event, so I took
>some pictures while I was there and have put them up on the web.
>A couple of caveats though - I am not a photographer and my
>camera isn't very good ;-)
>
>Here's the url: http://lisp.home.attbi.com/ilc_2002.htm

Thanks awfully! (Mr.Kent has a beard!)

--
quasi
http://abhijit-rao.tripod.com/digital/lisp.html

"I slept with Faith, and found a corpse in my arms on awaking; I drank and danced all night with Doubt, and found her a virgin in the morning."
~ A. Crowley
From: Will Deakin
Abhijit Rao wrote:

> Thanks awfully! (Mr.Kent has a beard!)

Hmmm. That could well be Mr. Pitman... In the same way that I am Will or
Mr Deakin.

:)w
From: Abhijit Rao
On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 19:18:03 +0000 (UTC), Will Deakin
<···········@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks awfully! (Mr.Kent has a beard!)
>
>Hmmm. That could well be Mr. Pitman... In the same way that I am Will or
>Mr Deakin.

:)  sure, I was alluding to Mr.Pitman.  The thing is English does not provide a way to differenciate between one who is young or one who is senior when one uses the first name.  Mr.Pitman is quite senior and I dont know him personally, so I found it hard to call him "Kent".  Calling him Mr.Pitman seemed a bit too formal.  So I ended up with Mr.Kent.  Sure sounds weird.  Will keep it in mind. :)

From: Kent M Pitman
Abhijit Rao <·········@yahoo.com> writes:

> ... I was alluding to Mr.Pitman.  The thing is English does not
> provide a way to differenciate between one who is young or one who
> is senior when one uses the first name.  Mr.Pitman is quite senior
> and I dont know him personally, so I found it hard to call him
> "Kent".  Calling him Mr.Pitman seemed a bit too formal.  So I ended
> up with Mr.Kent.  Sure sounds weird.  Will keep it in mind. :)

I'm not much one for ceremony as to names.  Just "Kent" is fine.

I also answer to "kmp" (pronounce each letter separately, please).

Moreover, I find first names to be less personal than last names.
Last names give family information, and in combination with a first
name (perhaps already given informally) or a city can often identify
enough information about a person to violate their privacy.  It
happened to me on an airplane once, on a rare occasion where I was
flying first class, that the flight attendant referred to me as
Mr. Pitman.  Had I been wanting to remain anonymous to a person or
people around me, that would have been the end of that.  But had they
merely called me Kent, I would have been one of thousands of Kent's
with no privacy materially compromised.  Some last names reveal more
than others.  I suppose first names do, too, but phone books are not
usually indexed by first name.

I do think the internet world goes too far in its struggle to be
egalitarian and makes it seem like no one has a credential of
authority, or like every credential of authority must be established
redundantly along with every statement.  However, alas, I don't see
how asking people to put Mr. in front of my name will fix that, and
I'm not much of one for solutions that just look good but don't really
work...