From: Adam Warner
Subject: CMUCL: Load CLX subsystem?
Hi all,

The problems I have been experiencing with Hemlock may be related to the
fact that I did not load the CLX and Hemlock subsystems before typing
(ed). Those instructions are set out here:
http://www.cons.org/cmucl/hemlock/

The CMUCL 18d release notes state:
http://www.cons.org/cmucl/news/release-18d.txt

 - the modules: pathname is initialized sensibly, to make REQUIRE work
   correctly out of the box. For example, you can now say (require :clx)
   to load the precompiled clx-library subsystem.

Well on Debian Woody/Unstable I can't:

$ lisp
CMU Common Lisp release x86-linux 3.0.12 18d+ 23 May 2002 build 3350

* (require :clx)

File-error in function COMMON-LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD:
   "modules:clx-library" does not exist.

Restarts:
  0: [CHECK-AGAIN] See if it exists now.
  1: [USE-VALUE  ] Prompt for a new name.
  2: [CONTINUE   ] Return NIL from load of #p"modules:clx-library".
  3: [ABORT      ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(COMMON-LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD #p"modules:clx-library" NIL :ERROR NIL)
Source:
; File: target:code/load.lisp

; File has been modified since compilation:
;   target:code/load.lisp
; Using form offset instead of character position.
(RESTART-CASE (ERROR 'SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR :PATHNAME PATHNAME :FORMAT-CONTROL ...)
              (CHECK-AGAIN NIL :REPORT "See if it exists now." (LOAD PATHNAME))
              (USE-VALUE NIL
                         :REPORT
                         "Prompt for a new name."
                         (WRITE-STRING "New name: " *QUERY-IO*)
                         ...))
0]

Any tips?

Thanks,
Adam

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: Re: CMUCL: Load CLX subsystem?
Adam Warner <······@consulting.net.nz> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> The problems I have been experiencing with Hemlock may be related to the
> fact that I did not load the CLX and Hemlock subsystems before typing
> (ed). Those instructions are set out here:
> http://www.cons.org/cmucl/hemlock/
>
> The CMUCL 18d release notes state:
> http://www.cons.org/cmucl/news/release-18d.txt
>
>  - the modules: pathname is initialized sensibly, to make REQUIRE work
>    correctly out of the box. For example, you can now say (require :clx)
>    to load the precompiled clx-library subsystem.
>
> Well on Debian Woody/Unstable I can't:

You're not using 18d, which might explain why the 18d release notes
don't apply.

> $ lisp
> CMU Common Lisp release x86-linux 3.0.12 18d+ 23 May 2002 build 3350

Admittedly, the documentation coming with Debian's cmucl isn't
terribly useful on this issue; assuming that you have cmucl-source
installed, try

* (require :cmucl-clx)

followed by

* (require :cmucl-hemlock)

followed by

* (ed)

Cheers,

Christophe
--
Jesus College, Cambridge, CB5 8BL                           +44 1223 510 299
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/                  (defun pling-dollar
From: Adam Warner
On Thu, 30 May 2002 23:40:48 +1200, Christophe Rhodes wrote:

>> The problems I have been experiencing with Hemlock may be related to the
>> fact that I did not load the CLX and Hemlock subsystems before typing
>> (ed). Those instructions are set out here:
>> http://www.cons.org/cmucl/hemlock/
>>
>> The CMUCL 18d release notes state:
>> http://www.cons.org/cmucl/news/release-18d.txt
>>
>>  - the modules: pathname is initialized sensibly, to make REQUIRE work
>>    correctly out of the box. For example, you can now say (require :clx)
>>    to load the precompiled clx-library subsystem.
>>
>> Well on Debian Woody/Unstable I can't:
>
> You're not using 18d, which might explain why the 18d release notes
> don't apply.
>
>> $ lisp
>> CMU Common Lisp release x86-linux 3.0.12 18d+ 23 May 2002 build 3350
>
> Admittedly, the documentation coming with Debian's cmucl isn't
> terribly useful on this issue; assuming that you have cmucl-source
> installed, try
>
> * (require :cmucl-clx)
>
> followed by
>
> * (require :cmucl-hemlock)
>
> followed by
>
> * (ed)

Thanks Christophe. (ed) by itself must load these libraries anyway. This
just avoids the long pause when starting the editor (when the libraries
are loaded in the background).

At the (require :cmucl-hemlock) stage I get a strange warning:

* (require :cmucl-hemlock)

Warning: System CLX doesn't seem to be defined...
NIL

Can you please confirm that Hemlock starts with only two windows, one
called "Hemlock 1" and the other below it called "Hemlock 3".

Thanks,
Adam
From: Adam Warner
On Fri, 31 May 2002 00:11:41 +1200, Adam Warner wrote:

> Can you please confirm that Hemlock starts with only two windows, one
> called "Hemlock 1" and the other below it called "Hemlock 3".

Thanks Tim for your reply via email. It turns out this is normal.

Regards,
Adam