From: Matthew X. Economou
Subject: Pretty printer for Lisp code?
Does anyone know of a pretty printer for Lisp code that generates
PostScript or PCL output?  I seem to recall using a program called
vgrind for printing C code, and if memory serves, it was capable of
printing Fortran, Pascal, and Lisp code as well.  Unfortunately, I
seem to be unable to find a copy of vgrind in a convenient form
(e.g. source RPM, tarball).  Can anyone help me locate a copy of
vgrind?  Can someone suggest a better tool for printing Lisp sources?

Kind regards,
#\Matthew

--
Matthew X. Economou <········@irtnog.org> - Unsafe at any clock speed!
I'm proud of my Northern Tibetian heritage! (http://www.subgenius.com)

From: Russell Senior
Subject: Re: Pretty printer for Lisp code?

MXE> Does anyone know of a pretty printer for Lisp code that generates
MXE> PostScript or PCL output?  I seem to recall using a program
MXE> called vgrind for printing C code, and if memory serves, it was
MXE> capable of printing Fortran, Pascal, and Lisp code as well.
MXE> Unfortunately, I seem to be unable to find a copy of vgrind in a
MXE> convenient form (e.g. source RPM, tarball).  Can anyone help me
MXE> locate a copy of vgrind?  Can someone suggest a better tool for
MXE> printing Lisp sources?

Emacs?  Also, you might try:

  enscript --help-pretty-print

To see if your enscript has lisp support.  If not, it might not be too
hard to add it.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
·······@aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible
From: Matthew X. Economou

    MXE> Does anyone know of a pretty printer for Lisp code that
    MXE> generates PostScript or PCL output?

    Russell> Emacs?

For once Emacs doesn't do what I want.  With C code, Vgrind will print
the name of the current function in the page's header, it will change
the font of certain elements of the output (e.g. variable declarations
are in italics), and so forth.  Emacs pretty much just dumps the text
to standard output, which isn't what I want.

I know, I know.  It's heresy.  :)

The version of enscript included in my version of Red Hat Linux only
supports Emacs Lisp.  That might be sufficient.  Thanks for the
pointers.

From: Edi Weitz

>     MXE> Does anyone know of a pretty printer for Lisp code that
>     MXE> generates PostScript or PCL output?

>     Russell> Emacs?
>
> For once Emacs doesn't do what I want.  With C code, Vgrind will
> print the name of the current function in the page's header, it will
> change the font of certain elements of the output (e.g. variable
> declarations are in italics), and so forth.  Emacs pretty much just
> dumps the text to standard output, which isn't what I want.
>
> I know, I know.  It's heresy.  :)
>
> The version of enscript included in my version of Red Hat Linux only
> supports Emacs Lisp.  That might be sufficient.  Thanks for the
> pointers.

a2ps <http://www.infres.enst.fr/~demaille/a2ps/> has support for
Common Lisp IIRC.

Edi.
From: Dave Pearson

,----[ C-h f ps-print-buffer-with-faces RET ]

`----

--
Dave Pearson:                   |     lbdb.el - LBDB interface.
http://www.davep.org/           |  sawfish.el - Sawfish mode.
From: Matthew X. Economou

    Dave> ps-print-buffer-with-faces...
    Dave> Generate and print a PostScript image of the buffer.  Like
    Dave> `ps-print-buffer', but includes font, color, and underline
    Dave> information in the generated image.

Thanks so much.  It's perfect (it's also what I get for not using
apropos).

From: Petter Gustad
"Matthew X. Economou" <···············@irtnog.org> writes:

> Does anyone know of a pretty printer for Lisp code that generates
> PostScript or PCL output?  I seem to recall using a program called
> vgrind for printing C code, and if memory serves, it was capable of
> printing Fortran, Pascal, and Lisp code as well.  Unfortunately, I
> seem to be unable to find a copy of vgrind in a convenient form
> (e.g. source RPM, tarball).  Can anyone help me locate a copy of
> vgrind?  Can someone suggest a better tool for printing Lisp sources?

You could use LaTeX and the listings package. It will be something
like this:

\documentclass[10pt]{article}
\usepackage{listings}
\lstset{
  language=Lisp,
  basicstyle=\scriptsize\ttfamily,
  keywordstyle={},
  commentstyle={},
  stringstyle={}}
\begin{document}

\lstinputlisting{filename.cl}

\end{document}

You can also extract segments of your files by specifying the first
and last line number. You can even put your listing fragments in
figures like:

\begin{figure}[hf]
\lstinputlisting[first=13,last=21]{dsp.cl}
\caption{\label{fig:brutefdft}Simple CL DFT implementation}
\end{figure}

Petter
Petter Gustad   8'h2B | (~8'h2B) - Hamlet in Verilog   http://gustad.com
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 30 May 2002 17:53:31 -0400, "Matthew X. Economou"
<···············@irtnog.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a pretty printer for Lisp code that generates
> PostScript or PCL output?  I seem to recall using a program called

GNU enscript comes with some--customizable--Lisp support.

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]
From: Christopher Browne
Quoth "Matthew X. Economou" <···············@irtnog.org>:
> Does anyone know of a pretty printer for Lisp code that generates
> PostScript or PCL output?  I seem to recall using a program called
> vgrind for printing C code, and if memory serves, it was capable of
> printing Fortran, Pascal, and Lisp code as well.  Unfortunately, I
> seem to be unable to find a copy of vgrind in a convenient form
> (e.g. source RPM, tarball).  Can anyone help me locate a copy of
> vgrind?  Can someone suggest a better tool for printing Lisp sources?

# apt-get install lgrind

.. installs ...

# lgrind -s
When specifying a language case is insignificant. You can use the
name of the language, or, where available, one of the synonyms in
parantheses. Thus the following are legal and mark Tcl/Tk, Pascal
and Fortran input, respectively:
   lgrind -ltcl/tk ...
   lgrind -lpaSCAL ...
   lgrind -lf ...
The list of languages currently available in your lgrindef file:
    Ada                               MLisp  (Emacs Mock Lisp)
    Asm                               SML/NJ  (ML)
    Asm68                             Scheme  (scm)
    BASIC                             model
    Batch  (bat)                      Modula2  (mod2, m2)
    C                                 Pascal  (pas, p, bp)
    C++  (CC)                         PERL  (pl)
    csh                               PostScript  (ps)
    FORTRAN  (f77, f)                 PROLOG
    Gnuplot                           Python  (py)
    Icon                              RATFOR
    IDL                               RLaB
    ISP                               Russell
    Java                              SAS
    Kimwitu++  (kimw)                 SDL
    LaTeX                             sh
    LDL                               SICStus
    Lex                               src
    Linda                             SQL
    make                              Tcl/Tk  (tcl, tk)
    MASM                              VisualBasic  (vbasic)
    MATLAB                            VMSasm
    Mercury                           yacc  (y)
#
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@acm.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lsf.html