From: jb
Subject: OT: comparing c.l.l and c.l.c
It is amazing how different newsgroups can be!

I asked one or two na�v question in c.c.c and several people very politely
pointed out to me, how my questions were no pure ISO C issues, so that I
asked them in the wrong newgroup.(The famous joke about the airship and the
mathematician comes to my mind.)

When another guy asked, if C had any advatages over Pascal, he got answers
like "No, not really".
And one of the participants signed his response with the following words:

"LISP  is worth learning for  the profound enlightenment  experience
a better programmer for the rest of your days."   -- Eric S. Raymond

So everybody was very polite.
In this NG I was called names (even my grandparents were involved at one
occasion), but even when I posted absolutely OT questions like about the
working of news servers, I received very helpful responses (often
privately).

This is the reason, dear friend, that I stay: I love this NG.

--
Janos Blazi

"Il n'y a gu�re dans la vie qu'une pr�occupation grave: c'est la mort;"
(Dumas)

>It is amazing how different newsgroups can be!

[ snip comparisons about comp.lang.c and comp.lang.lisp ]

The most plausible explanation about the differences in temperament, as
witnessed in the responses to offtopic postings, is this: the comp.lang.c
newsgroup has a much larger volume than comp.lang.lisp.  There are many
implementations of C with all kinds of extensions for all kinds of platforms,
and a staggering array of libraries with C language bindings has been developed
over the past decades.

>So everybody [in comp.lang.c] was very polite.

This only shows how subjective your experience is; others in the past
have have complained that comp.lang.c is excessively harsh.

>In this NG I was called names (even my grandparents were involved at one
>occasion), but even when I posted absolutely OT questions like about the
>working of news servers, I received very helpful responses (often
>privately).

Not everyone shares your appraisal criteria. To me, the value of a newsgroup
does not rest in its positive responsiveness to off-topic questions. Such
responsiveness is not a propensity that ought to be deliberately probed, even;
doing so constitutes abuse.