From: Marcel Schmittfull
Subject: emacs-lisp search
Hi
I've also another problem with emacs lisp:

(defun url (url name)
  (interactive "sURL:  \nsName:  ")
  (cond

   (t
    (insert "<a href=\"" url ".html\" onMouseover=\"li('" url "')\"
onMouseout=\"li('.')\">" name "</a>"))))

  (find-file "d:/jo/v2/des.js")

  (search-forward-regexp "\\<%s\\>" (substring url 0 1))

the problem: how can I search for (substring url 0 1) ??

short explanation of the whole thing:
I type the url and the name of my link in the minibuffer. The link is
inserted. Then the function opens the file "des.js" where a list with
descriptions of the links is. now I want to search this list for the
first character of url and then I want to proof if there's already
a description of the link or not. if not, I want to insert the
description.

the list in des.js looks like this:

       // a
       if(n.charAt(0) == "a") {

           if(n == "a..") {
               parent.oben.f1.link.value = "Description of the link";
           }
       }

this is ok and I hope I'm able to solve this, but the problem is that
I don't know how to search for (substring url 0 1)

thanks..
Marcel
From: Evgeny Roubinchtein
Subject: Re: emacs-lisp search
·········@gmx.de (Marcel Schmittfull) writes:

> Hi
> I've also another problem with emacs lisp:
>
> (defun url (url name)
>   (interactive "sURL:  \nsName:  ")
>   (cond
>
>    (t
>     (insert "<a href=\"" url ".html\" onMouseover=\"li('" url "')\"
> onMouseout=\"li('.')\">" name "</a>"))))
>
>   (find-file "d:/jo/v2/des.js")
>
>   (search-forward-regexp "\\<%s\\>" (substring url 0 1))
>
> the problem: how can I search for (substring url 0 1) ??

Like this:

(search-forward (substring url 0 1))

Or like this:

(re-search-forward (format "\\<%s\\>" (substring url 0 1)))

May I suggest that you obtain a copy of the Elisp manual?  It's
available in a variety of formats from

http://www.gnu.org/manual/elisp/

(and GNU mirrors worldwide, I imagine).

--
Evgeny

The Soviet Union does not exist any more in its present format.