From: jatzger
Subject: Unable to build Lisp on cygwin
I am running Cygwin 1.3.2 on Win98 and tried to install Clisp.  I went
to http://cvs2.cons.org/ftp-area/clisp/binaries/latest/ and downloaded
clisp-2.28-i686-unknown-cygwin_me-4.90-1.3.9-0.51-3-2.tar.gz, but the
make fails with the following error message:

$ make
gcc -O  base/modules.o base/lisp.a base/libsigsegv.a base/libintl.a
base/libicon
v.a base/libreadline.a base/libavcall.a base/libcallback.a -lncurses
-o base/lis
p.run
base/libintl.a: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [base/lisp.run] Error 1

Does anyone have any idea how to get around this?
From: Karsten Poeck
Subject: Re: Unable to build Lisp on cygwin
You might consider asking this on the cygwin mailing lists.
Regarding the error: There seems to be a problem with the ln instruction in
cygwin and the way the makefile constructs the binary. Until I figure out to
do this correctly you might try build clisp from the sources worked fine for
me
Karsten