From: mikee
Subject: memoization?
I know many lisp systems have memoizations, and that memoization has been
tested/migrated to some c++ systems. I'm working in a system that is compute
bound with repitive(?) calculations and feel that memoization would really
help. Is there a general approach or paper that describes an approach for
adding memoization to a system? This system, application really, has its
own internal programming language. I do not have access to the source
code of the application to make general modifications. This application
will interface with external dll's (its a win2k app :(). I have thought
of taking the most used/critical function into a dll and memoize that function.

Mike

From: Jeff Greif
Subject: Re: memoization?
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp/Memoization-1.0/

has code for Lisp and a paper, which refers to other papers.  Peter
Norvig's website probably has the memoization examples from one of his
books.  The clocc library also has memoization code.

Jeff
From: Herb Martin
I believe On Lisp addresses the subject.

It's online (on lisp on line?) and worth the download
for other things as well.

http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html

--
Herb Martin
Try ADDS for great Weather too:

·····························@typhoon1.we.ipsvc.net...

From: Paolo Amoroso
On Fri, 24 May 2002 14:40:38 GMT, "Jeff Greif"
<······@spam-me-not.alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

> http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp/Memoization-1.0/
>
> has code for Lisp and a paper, which refers to other papers.  Peter
> Norvig's website probably has the memoization examples from one of his
> books.  The clocc library also has memoization code.

Which is the same available at the above URL, but is now maintained.

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]
From: Adam Warner
On Sun, 26 May 2002 23:45:20 +1200, Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2002 14:40:38 GMT, "Jeff Greif"
> <······@spam-me-not.alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
>
>> http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/lisp/Memoization-1.0/
>>
>> has code for Lisp and a paper, which refers to other papers.  Peter
>> Norvig's website probably has the memoization examples from one of his
>> books.  The clocc library also has memoization code.
>
> Which is the same available at the above URL, but is now maintained.

Avoid the code from the URL that Jeff posted. It can only be used in
non-commercial situations: "Copyright 1992 Marty Hall. Permission is
granted for noncommercial use of this code provided this notice is
retained. Version of 3/96."

I have checked out the latest CVS version of the CLOCC code
(clocc-05-30-02.tgz). It appears the developers have been careful to
maintain the freely available version. In the file
Memoization-Posting.text in clocc/src/tools/memoization/docs, Marty Hall
states "This message is to announce the the second release (first
non-beta) of a facility for automatic memoization in Common LISP..." (NB
this is not the 3/96 version) and "The code is freely available for
unrestricted use and modification."

Regards,
Adam