From: John Kloosterman
Subject: MACLISP??
I dont know if this is the right place to ask a stupid question but does
anyone knows how to obtain a implementation (linux, dos, windows) of the
MACLISP used in the book LISP from P.H.Winston and B.K.P.Horn. Years ago i
used a (very) restricted version on a Acorn machine. I digged the book out
of some old programming stuff i used years ago and nostagy gives his ugly
bite. I would like to revive those nice moments again but common lisp is a
bit different to say the least. Can anyone help??

From: ted sandler
Subject: Re: MACLISP??
I say get with the times ;-)  Common lisp isn't /that/ different.

I don't even think that variable scope in maclisp is lexical (yuck!).  Why
would you even want to touch it?
-ted

··························@zonnet-reader-1...

From: Donald Fisk
ted sandler wrote:

> I say get with the times ;-)  Common lisp isn't /that/ different.

True.   But he has the first edition of W&H.

> I don't even think that variable scope in maclisp is lexical (yuck!).  Why
> would you even want to touch it?

It gets you as close as you can get to the hacker culture that once
prevailed at MIT's AI lab; you get to learn about a cool operating
system (ITS) which has some features that even the most modern
of operating systems lack.

And it you really miss lexical scoping, there's a version of Scheme
that runs on ITS.   But I never use that.

--
Le Hibou
You know you've been hacking too long if, when someone
From: Joel Ray Holveck
> I dont know if this is the right place to ask a stupid question but does
> anyone knows how to obtain a implementation (linux, dos, windows) of the
> MACLISP used in the book LISP from P.H.Winston and B.K.P.Horn. Years ago i
> used a (very) restricted version on a Acorn machine. I digged the book out
> of some old programming stuff i used years ago and nostagy gives his ugly
> bite. I would like to revive those nice moments again but common lisp is a
> bit different to say the least. Can anyone help??

There's rumors of ITS images floating around with MACLISP on them.  I
never successfully found one, but I can see if I can find my notes, if
you're interested.

Alternatively, it's not MACLISP but it's close: Franz Lisp (distinct
from Franz Inc's Common Lisp implementation).  It's on the 4.4 BSD
tapes; I can send you a copy if you like, or you can order the CD set
from from Kirk (www.mckusick.com).

You'll need a PDP or an emulator to use either one; the latter is easy
to come by.

Cheers,
joelh
From: Markus Kliegl
Joel Ray Holveck <·····@juniper.net> writes:

> > I dont know if this is the right place to ask a stupid question but does
> > anyone knows how to obtain a implementation (linux, dos, windows) of the
> > MACLISP used in the book LISP from P.H.Winston and B.K.P.Horn. Years ago i
> > used a (very) restricted version on a Acorn machine. I digged the book out
> > of some old programming stuff i used years ago and nostagy gives his ugly
> > bite. I would like to revive those nice moments again but common lisp is a
> > bit different to say the least. Can anyone help??
>
> There's rumors of ITS images floating around with MACLISP on them.  I
> never successfully found one, but I can see if I can find my notes, if
> you're interested.
>
> Alternatively, it's not MACLISP but it's close: Franz Lisp (distinct
> from Franz Inc's Common Lisp implementation).  It's on the 4.4 BSD
> tapes; I can send you a copy if you like, or you can order the CD set
> from from Kirk (www.mckusick.com).
>
> You'll need a PDP or an emulator to use either one; the latter is easy
> to come by.
>
> Cheers,
> joelh

FWIW, Franz Lisp can also be found here:
  http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/lisp-opus38.92.tar
and, ported to BSD/x86 (the binary images run just fine on my FreeBSD system):
  http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~jeff/franz-for-386.html

The PDP-10 emulator KLH10 and the ITS image with MACLISP can be found here:
  http://klh10.trailing-edge.com/
(Note: I never got that running myself, so I can't say much about it.)

Markus
From: Donald Fisk
Markus Kliegl wrote:

> The PDP-10 emulator KLH10 and the ITS image with MACLISP can be found here:
>   http://klh10.trailing-edge.com/
> (Note: I never got that running myself, so I can't say much about it.)

I replied to John Kloosterman directly, and then wondered why my reply
didn't
propagate.

I run ITS on KLH10 often.   Please be aware that the lisp files on the
distribution are corrupted (unless Ken's fixed them) and give frequent
Memory
Protection Violation errors as a result), and should be replaced with
good ones,
which are available at www.its.os.org

I doubt if many are interested, but if anyone is, and has problems with
MacLisp on ITS, please contact me and I'll see what I can do.

From: Larry Clapp
"John Kloosterman" <·······@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:<·····················@zonnet-reader-1>...
> I dont know if this is the right place to ask a stupid question
> but does anyone knows how to obtain a implementation (linux,
> dos, windows) of the MACLISP used in the book LISP from
> P.H.Winston and B.K.P.Horn.

As a followup to this question:  How did MacLisp get its name?  I've
read most of Steele's History of Lisp, and didn't see any mention of
the etymology of the name.  Did somebody port Macsyma somewhere and
need a Lisp for it, or what?  (My apologies if this connection seems
laughable  :)  , but I couldn't think of any better idea; I know that
MacLisp came into existence looong before the Apple Macintosh, and
that's my next best connection.  :)
From: Christopher Browne
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, ······@theclapp.org (Larry Clapp) transmitted:
> "John Kloosterman" <·······@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:<·····················@zonnet-reader-1>...
>> I dont know if this is the right place to ask a stupid question
>> but does anyone knows how to obtain a implementation (linux,
>> dos, windows) of the MACLISP used in the book LISP from
>> P.H.Winston and B.K.P.Horn.
>
> As a followup to this question:  How did MacLisp get its name?  I've
> read most of Steele's History of Lisp, and didn't see any mention of
> the etymology of the name.  Did somebody port Macsyma somewhere and
> need a Lisp for it, or what?  (My apologies if this connection seems
> laughable  :)  , but I couldn't think of any better idea; I know that
> MacLisp came into existence looong before the Apple Macintosh, and
> that's my next best connection.  :)

Most likely it relates to...

MIT Project on Mathematics and Computation

<http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/mac/>
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string ········@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html
From: Barry Margolin
In article <····························@posting.google.com>,
Larry Clapp <······@theclapp.org> wrote:
>As a followup to this question:  How did MacLisp get its name?  I've
>read most of Steele's History of Lisp, and didn't see any mention of
>the etymology of the name.  Did somebody port Macsyma somewhere and
>need a Lisp for it, or what?  (My apologies if this connection seems
>laughable  :)  , but I couldn't think of any better idea; I know that
>MacLisp came into existence looong before the Apple Macintosh, and
>that's my next best connection.  :)

Both Macsyma and Maclisp were developed by MIT's Project MAC, which was the
project that spawned the Laboratory for Computer Science in the 60's.  I
believe there are numerous explanations of what the name of the project
stood for (e.g. Machine-Aided Computation), but no definitive one.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
From: Bob Woodham
In article <···············@paloalto-snr2.gtei.net>,
 Barry Margolin <······@genuity.net> writes:
>Both Macsyma and Maclisp were developed by MIT's Project MAC, which was the
>project that spawned the Laboratory for Computer Science in the 60's.  I
>believe there are numerous explanations of what the name of the project
>stood for (e.g. Machine-Aided Computation), but no definitive one.

I believe the MAC -> LCS transition happened in the 70's.  Yes, there
were numerous expansions of the MAC acronym.  As I was told, it
originally stood for Multiple Access Computer (when the emphasis
was on developing timesharing systems).  Later, it stood for
Machine Aided Cognition (when the emphasis was on AI).  Later still,
it stood for Man and Computer (a somewhat generic, if sexist expansion).

A lot of people liked the name Project MAC.  When it became the
Laboratory for Computer Science, the new stationery included
"formerly Project MAC" for about a year.  One professor I'll
leave unnamed prepared his own letterhead which read
"Project MAC (currently the Laboratory for Computer Science)."

Thanks for the memories!
From: Thomas A. Russ
·······@echo.cs.ubc.ca (Bob Woodham) writes:

>  Yes, there
> were numerous expansions of the MAC acronym.

Not to forget "Minsky Against Corbato"   :)  :)  :)

From: Barry Margolin
In article <············@mughi.cs.ubc.ca>,
Bob Woodham <·······@cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
>A lot of people liked the name Project MAC.  When it became the
>Laboratory for Computer Science, the new stationery included
>"formerly Project MAC" for about a year.  One professor I'll
>leave unnamed prepared his own letterhead which read
>"Project MAC (currently the Laboratory for Computer Science)."

And when Boylston Street in Harvard Square was renamed John F. Kennedy
Street in the 80's, the street signs for a while had little tags that said
"Formerly Boylston Street".  Many of us simply referred to the street by
the latter name for quite a while.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
Barry Margolin <······@genuity.net> writes:

> And when Boylston Street in Harvard Square was renamed John F. Kennedy
> Street in the 80's, the street signs for a while had little tags that said
> "Formerly Boylston Street".  Many of us simply referred to the street by
> the latter name for quite a while.

It's a tradition.  There was a restaurant on Cambridge St. in Boston
called "Ann's", a middle-eastern place.  They changed the name to
"Phonecia", and painted the new name on the window, as well as
"Formerly Ann's".  So my friends and I all called the restaurant
by the name "Formerly Ann's".