From: gary
Subject: Installing PLOB! on Windows 2000 (and save-object)
I'm trying to install PLOB! on Windows 2000 with Lispworks 4.2.

I've followed the installation procedure and after config, I changed
the value of the local installation directory,

(defconstant +plob-dir+ "c:\plob-2.09"
    #+:lisp-doc "\\plob\\ installation directory.")

in defsystem-plob.lisp.

But whenever I compile, the directory string is doubled.

Error: The file #P"C:/plob-2.09/src/allegro/plob-2.09/src/allegro/plob-defpackage.lisp"
does not exist.
  1 (continue) Try opening
#P"C:/plob-2.09/src/allegro/plob-2.09/src/allegro/plob-defpackage.lisp"
again.
  2 Try compiling C:\plob-2.09\src\allegro\plob-2.09\src\allegro\plob-defpackage.lisp
again.
  3 Skip compiling C:\plob-2.09\src\allegro\plob-2.09\src\allegro\plob-defpackage.lisp.
  4 Try doing compile for system :PLOB again.
  5 (abort) Return to level 0.
  6 Return to top loop level 0.

I wondered whether there was a quick way to get around this.  Since
it's an installation procedure - I'm not sure how much I should
change.(I have to admit that PLOB! is the largest lisp program that
I've looked at).

And one more question, I read this article on google
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=save-object&start=30&hl=en&selm=61otpq%24oa%40crl10.crl.com&rnum=31

(ok, hope that link turns out okay, if not search for save-object and
Kerry Koitzsch on 1997/10/11)

It mentions a new version of save-object.  Do you know where I can get
the modern version - the one at Mark Kantrowitz's repository is from
1993?

Ok, thanks in advance for any help,
From: Pierre R. Mai
··············@yahoo.com (gary) writes:

> I'm trying to install PLOB! on Windows 2000 with Lispworks 4.2.
>
> I've followed the installation procedure and after config, I changed
> the value of the local installation directory,
>
> (defconstant +plob-dir+ "c:\plob-2.09"
>     #+:lisp-doc "\\plob\\ installation directory.")

I haven't read the rest of the discussion thoroughly, but shouldn't
the above be:

(defconstant +plob-dir+ "c:\\plob-2.09"
    #+:lisp-doc "\\plob\\ installation directory.")

since CL (like ANSI C) uses \ as an escape character in strings.

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein