From: Drew McDermott
Subject: Abject HTML apologies
Several people have complained about my inadvertent use of HTML on this
newsgroup.  Rest assured that my crack staff of trained hackers is
working around the clock to solve the problem.  In the meantime, here is
a nice solution the kind people at comp.emacs suggested, specifically
Alastair Burt <····@dfki.de> of University of Saarland Computing
Center.  Assuming you're in emacs, with a buffer of incomprehensible
HTML, just do

  (shell-command-on-region (region-beginning) (region-end)
           "lynx -stdin -dump")

     Which you can invoke with "meta-|".

Alas, that works only with Lynx 2.8.4; versions 2.8.3 doesn't have the
-stdin option.  So you can do the following instead:

(defun htmlynx (reg-beg reg-end)
   (interactive "r")
   (write-region reg-beg reg-end "_TempFile.html" nil 0 nil)
   (shell-command "lynx -dump _TempFile.html"))

And now M-x htmlynx puts the decoded HTML in the shell-output buffer,
whence you may copy it back on top of the HTML.

    -- Drew McDermott

From: Larry Kramer
Subject: Re: Abject HTML apologies
Drew McDermott wrote:

> Several people have complained about my inadvertent use of HTML on this
> newsgroup.  Rest assured that my crack staff of trained hackers is
> working around the clock to solve the problem.

[snip, emacs weenie solution...]

Or, you could've just set your Netscape preferences to compose/reply
in plain text instead of HTML.

Larry
From: Ng Pheng Siong
According to Drew McDermott  <··············@yale.edu>:
> Several people have complained about my inadvertent use of HTML on this
> newsgroup.  Rest assured that my crack staff of trained hackers is
> working around the clock to solve the problem.

fwiw, i use trn and don't see your html at all.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <····@netmemetic.com> * http://www.netmemetic.com