From: David
Subject: I need some advice about learning Lisp
Friends:

I am an experienced C++ programmer, familiar with UNIX and MS-Windows
platform. And I have some knowledge about Perl and Python.
In the last few month, more than one people told me "Learn Lisp and
you'll take a different style of thinking." To proof it, I want to
learn Lisp.
I've heard that Common Lisp may be a good choice. And now I need your
guru's help!

  Which of the books are fit for me? (I'm 0 exp in Lisp before)
  Which free compiler is fit for me, under MS-Windows? (I'm not yet
planning to buy a commerial compiler, just for practice :-)
  Where I can find some useful website, full of fresh-Lisp documents?
  Where I can find some small=pretty=written Lisp sample code? (I like
to learn language during the read/modify/debug circle.)

  Thanks for all help!

From: David
Subject: Re: I need some advice about learning Lisp
············@hotmail.com (David) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> Friends:
>
> I am an experienced C++ programmer, familiar with UNIX and MS-Windows
> platform. And I have some knowledge about Perl and Python.
>
>   Thanks for all help!

I have tried www.lisp.org but not reachable. Is this a ISP-trouble or
something worse?
From: Frank A. Adrian
David wrote:

> I have tried www.lisp.org but not reachable. Is this a ISP-trouble or
> something worse?

Try it again.  Works fine for me...

faa
From: Kenny Tilton
David wrote:
> I have tried www.lisp.org but not reachable. Is this a ISP-trouble or
> something worse?

Looks fine as of this writing: http://www.lisp.org/table/contents.htm

I use ACL, but hear good things all the time about LispWorks and CLisp.
Not sure how compliant Corman CL is yet with CL and especially CLOS.

Graham's ANSI Common Lisp is pretty good.

Have fun, and let us know what you think.

--

 kenny tilton
 clinisys, inc
From: jb
I can reach it at the moment.

--
Janos Blazi

Il n'y a gu�re dans la vie qu'une pr�occupation grave: c'est la mort;
(Dumas)

David wrote:

I should read the book "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham.
You can find free comlilers on the page www.lisp.org.

Apart from this, you may also want to take a look at Scheme, that
is the "little brother" of Lisp (though some people in this NG, whose
feelings I do not want hurt, may see this otherwise.)

--
Janos Blazi

>   Which of the books are fit for me? (I'm 0 exp in Lisp before)

You might try these two for starters (both freely available online):

http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html

and

http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html

If you prefer to read on your back, as I do, you might want to buy
Peter Norvig's "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence - Case Studies in
Common Lisp" (which is as much a textbook on the use of Common Lisp as
an AI course).

>   Which free compiler is fit for me, under MS-Windows? (I'm not yet
> planning to buy a commerial compiler, just for practice :-)

You'll find that most of the Free/OpenSource Lisp implementations are
for Unix-based systems, but on Windows you have at least four good
choices:

* You could try CLISP. (Lacks bells and whistles but is definitely
  good enough for your purposes. You can use GNU Emacs and ILISP as
  your "IDE"). Released under GPL.

* A trial version of Allegro CL is available at no cost: www.franz.com

* As above with LispWorks : www.xanalys.com

* CormanLisp ( http://www.corman.com ) is (I think) shareware. It
  comes with a time-limited IDE, but you can continue to use the
  command-line compiler indefinitely without (legal) financial
  obligation.

> Where I can find some useful website, full of fresh-Lisp documents?
> Where I can find some small=pretty=written Lisp sample code? (I like
> to learn language during the read/modify/debug circle.)

The above books should get you started. Actually there's enough
material in them to keep you going for years.

Oh, of course you'll need a reference:

http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/

Have fun.
From: Andy
Patrick W wrote:

> ············@hotmail.com (David) writes:
>
> >   Which of the books are fit for me? (I'm 0 exp in Lisp before)
>
> You might try these two for starters (both freely available online):
>
> http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html

I think "On Lisp" is a book about advanced lisp ? If so it might a bit
to complicated.
But "ANSI common lisp" from Paul Graham is perfect even if you know
nothing about lisp.
Best regards
AHz
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 5 May 2002 02:34:16 -0700, ············@hotmail.com (David) wrote:

>   Where I can find some useful website, full of fresh-Lisp documents?
>   Where I can find some small=pretty=written Lisp sample code? (I like
> to learn language during the read/modify/debug circle.)

Here is a site with useful resources:

  CLiki
  http://ww.telent.net/cliki

Paolo