From: Mike Thomas
Subject: State of PCL
Hi there.

I would like to know about the state of PCL in relation to CLOS
compatibility and where to get the most compatible version of PCL.

I am particularly interested in the relationship between the Gnu Common
L:isp port of PCL at the late Bill Schelter's web site and the current state
of play in, for example, CLISP or some other CL which uses PCL.

A measure of Bill's version of PCL's conformance under GCL is that I can't
compile the CL-PDF library.  Is this possible with other compiler/PCL
combinations?

Is PCL the best way to go for CLOS under Gnu Common Lisp?

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: State of PCL
"Mike Thomas" <······@brisbane.paradigmgeo.com> writes:

> Hi there.
>
> I would like to know about the state of PCL in relation to CLOS
> compatibility and where to get the most compatible version of PCL.
>
> I am particularly interested in the relationship between the Gnu Common
> L:isp port of PCL at the late Bill Schelter's web site and the current state
> of play in, for example, CLISP or some other CL which uses PCL.
>
> A measure of Bill's version of PCL's conformance under GCL is that I can't
> compile the CL-PDF library.  Is this possible with other compiler/PCL
> combinations?
>
> Is PCL the best way to go for CLOS under Gnu Common Lisp?

The true question is: how can you get GCL to be ANSI compliant?
Your best course of action right now is probably to go with ECL as far
as KCL derivatives go.

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Mike Thomas
Thanks Marco.

> The true question is: how can you get GCL to be ANSI compliant?

Yes.

> Your best course of action right now is probably to go with ECL as far
> as KCL derivatives go.

OK, I'll check out ECL.  I am sticking with GCL as I am working on the
Mingw32 port in order to resurrect the old native Win32 version of Maxima.
I figure that fixing up GCL as far as possible time-wise along the way is
probably the Right Thing To Do (TM).

Cheers

Mike Thomas.
From: Marco Antoniotti
"Mike Thomas" <······@brisbane.paradigmgeo.com> writes:

> Thanks Marco.
>
> > The true question is: how can you get GCL to be ANSI compliant?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Your best course of action right now is probably to go with ECL as far
> > as KCL derivatives go.
>
> OK, I'll check out ECL.  I am sticking with GCL as I am working on the
> Mingw32 port in order to resurrect the old native Win32 version of Maxima.
> I figure that fixing up GCL as far as possible time-wise along the way is
> probably the Right Thing To Do (TM).

IMHO, TRTTD is to port Maxima "natively" to a fully ANSI system first.
If ECL fits the bill, so be it.  Otherwise, on Windows there is always
CLisp or, better still, the commercial implementations.

This will force you (in the sense that I am just talking here, with no
plan to do any work :) ) to fix GCL in the right way and not "as far as
possible".

From: Mike Thomas
Hi again.

> IMHO, TRTTD is to port Maxima "natively" to a fully ANSI system first.
> If ECL fits the bill, so be it.  Otherwise, on Windows there is always
> CLisp or, better still, the commercial implementations.
>
> This will force you (in the sense that I am just talking here, with no
> plan to do any work :) ) to fix GCL in the right way and not "as far as
> possible".

Yes - it would be better to do that, but others are more equipped for that
job (and I believe working in that direction) and I have my own agendas far
away from Common Lisp.

Just for the hell of it I started building ecl.

Regards

Mike Thomas.