From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Announcement (small...) Hierarchical packages for CMUCL, LW
A while ago I took the sample code that Franz give for hierarchical
package names - most of the complexity of which is in dealing with
relative packages - slightly cleaned it up, and made it work for
CMUCL.  I've now slightly further hacked at it and checked that it
also works in LW.  It's available (linked from).
http://www.tfeb.org/lisp/hax.html#HIERARCHICAL-PACKAGES.  It's public
domain code and in particular I didn't write the great majority of it.

It will (should) work in any Lisp that both allows redefinition of
CL:FIND-PACKAGE and actually goes through that function in the reader.
Of the Lisps I've tried recently, this doesn't seem to be true for
CLISP, so it won't work there (this is not a bug in CLISP).  It also
doesn't work in Genera...

CMUCL has a slight hissy fit when compiling the code because a couple
of functions optimize speed but don't declare enough things to keep
Python happy.

If anyone gets this to work in CLISP or causes CMUCL not to complain
so much, or makes any other improvements to the code, please let me
know by *mail*.

The code should give the behaviour that is documented for ACL 6.0 by
Franz.  My thanks to Franz for making the original sample source
available freely, as well as the documentation.

--tim
From: Raymond Toy

    Tim> A while ago I took the sample code that Franz give for hierarchical
    Tim> package names - most of the complexity of which is in dealing with
    Tim> relative packages - slightly cleaned it up, and made it work for
    Tim> CMUCL.  I've now slightly further hacked at it and checked that it

The next release of CMUCL due out shortly will have support for
hierarchical package names.  This was added by Douglas Crosher quite
some time ago but never really publicized, except for a brief note on
the mailing lists.

Ray