From: Kevin Rosenberg
Subject: [Announce] CLSQL database interface released for ACL,LW,CMUCL
Good day, Lispers,

I've released the inital public version of CLSQL, a Common Lisp to SQL
database interface. It is based on Pierre Mai's excellent MaiSQL
package.

The major changes compared to MaiSQL are:

- ported FFI from CMUCL to UFFI.
- new AllegroCL ODBC interface back-end.
- compatibility layer for CMUCL specific code.
- much improved robustness of the MySQL back-end.
- improved system loading.
- improved packages and symbol export.

CLSQL has been tested on ACL,LW,CMUCL on both Linux and Windows platforms.
Since CLSQL is based on UFFI, any future ports of UFFI will allow CLSQL
to run on those platforms. Right now, there are individuals looking to
add Corman and MCL support to UFFI.

The web site for CLSQL is http://clsql.med-info.com. CLSQL is governed by
the liberal LLGPL license.

Enjoy!

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net

From: Daniel Barlow
Kevin Rosenberg <·····@rosenberg.net> writes:

> I've released the inital public version of CLSQL, a Common Lisp to SQL
> database interface. It is based on Pierre Mai's excellent MaiSQL
> package.

This sounds like it could be a really useful tool.  Do you have any
plans to integrate it with UncommonSQL?

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Kevin Rosenberg
> This sounds like it could be a really useful tool.  Do you have any
> plans to integrate it with UncommonSQL?

I've taken a brief look at UncommonSQL and it looks like it would not
be hard to integrate. I wrote to the maintainers at OnShoreD a few
weeks ago, but didn't receive a reply.

At this stage, I'll probably spend time working with the volunteers of
the MCL and Corman ports so CLSQL will work on those implementations
as well.

Next priority will be to add a optional list of fields type to a row
so that integers and floats can be directly parsed into numeric format
without generating temporarily string garbage. That shouldn't take too
much time.

I also want to investigate porting CLG to UFFI. If that could be done,
then the GTK+ GUI will be functional on Windows and Unix running on at
least 3 (hopefully 5) CL implementations.

Best,

Kevin
From: Craig Brozefsky
Kevin Rosenberg <·····@rosenberg.net> writes:

> > This sounds like it could be a really useful tool.  Do you have any
> > plans to integrate it with UncommonSQL?
>
> I've taken a brief look at UncommonSQL and it looks like it would not
> be hard to integrate. I wrote to the maintainers at OnShoreD a few
> weeks ago, but didn't receive a reply.

Yah, sorry about that.  We just finished up a release tho so I'll have
a bit more time to work on integrating with UFFI.  I've read the docs
and it appears that all of the UFFI port work would be confined to the
DBMS drivers, and not USQL core.

> Next priority will be to add a optional list of fields type to a row
> so that integers and floats can be directly parsed into numeric format
> without generating temporarily string garbage. That shouldn't take too
> much time.

That would be swell.

--
Craig Brozefsky                           <·····@red-bean.com>
                                http://www.red-bean.com/~craig
From: Kevin Rosenberg
> Yah, sorry about that.  We just finished up a release tho so I'll have
> a bit more time to work on integrating with UFFI.  I've read the docs
> and it appears that all of the UFFI port work would be confined to the
> DBMS drivers, and not USQL core.

Yes, that should ease integration. I'll be glad to help as needed.
Though you are welcome to integrate UFFI and CLSQL into the UncommonSQL
code base, at this time I suggest leaving them as separate dependencies.

The reason for this is that both are in active development. So far,
there are people working, or getting ready to work, on ports of UFFI
to MCL and Corman. By relying on the UFFI layer, UncommonSQL should be
able to be ported to them as well. I'm working on adding features to
CLSQL as well that will be easier to integrate into UncommonSQL by
keeping current with CLSQL releases.

>> Next priority will be to add a optional list of fields type to a row
>> so that integers and floats can be directly parsed into numeric format
>
> That would be swell.

I'm glad to hear it might help for UncommonSQL as well.
I'm thinking something along the line of
  (clsql:query "SELECT name,sex,age,salary"
	:field-types '(:string :char :int :single-float))

If you do decide to work on using CLSQL as a backend for UncommonSQL,
you may want to join one of the CLSQL mail lists
(http://clsql.med-info.com/maillists.shtml)

Thanks for your interest, Let me know if I can be of any help.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net