From: Damond Walker
Subject: Cheap UI Hacks
I'm using clisp to code some personal hacks and while the individual
hacks are coming together nicely I'd like to get a GUI (of sorts) in
place.

Currently I'm using NetBSD and dialog (Xdialog in one case) to provide
a simple GUI.  These tools are handy for simple things but I was
wondering if there were advanced versions of these two tools which
allow the developer to specify multiple options per instance of
dialog/Xdialog.

For example: The version of dialog I'm using can handle a single
inputbox or a single menu per execution.  I'd like a version of dialog
which could handle multiple text boxes or multiple menus at the same
time.

I did manage to get CLX compiled and working and if anyone has any
pointers to an "easy" CLX library that would be fine also.  ;)

Damond

From: Rahul Jain
Subject: Re: Cheap UI Hacks
·······@syncreticsoft.com (Damond Walker) writes:

> I did manage to get CLX compiled and working and if anyone has any
> pointers to an "easy" CLX library that would be fine also.  ;)

CLX+CLUE+CLIO+Pictures is supposedly a nice high-level GUI toolkit.

--
-> -/                        - Rahul Jain -                        \- <-
-> -\  http://linux.rice.edu/~rahul -=-  ············@techie.com   /- <-
From: Fred Gilham
Rahul Jain <·····@sid-1129.sid.rice.edu> writes:

> ·······@syncreticsoft.com (Damond Walker) writes:
>
> > I did manage to get CLX compiled and working and if anyone has any
> > pointers to an "easy" CLX library that would be fine also.  ;)
>
> CLX+CLUE+CLIO+Pictures is supposedly a nice high-level GUI toolkit.

Yes, but it is (they are)

1) Tough to get installed, and
2) Somewhat incomplete.

CLUE is an `intrinsics' library, like Xt.

CLIO is a widget library, kind of like Xaw, built on CLUE.

Both of the above are well documented but suffer from minor bit-rot
and lack of active support.

Pictures is a kind of 2D animation support toolkit built on CLUE.
It's also fairly well documented.

To be honest, if you want to do stuff with menus and dialogs you
should probably get Garnet, which is not CLOS based but which has a
lot of features, examples and documentation.  I don't know how well it
runs under CLISP, though.

--
Fred Gilham                                        ······@csl.sri.com
Perhaps the greatest damage the American system of education has done
From: Rahul Jain
Fred Gilham <······@snapdragon.csl.sri.com> writes:

> Rahul Jain <·····@sid-1129.sid.rice.edu> writes:
>
> > CLX+CLUE+CLIO+Pictures is supposedly a nice high-level GUI toolkit.
>
> Yes, but it is (they are)
>
> 1) Tough to get installed, and

I see you don't use debian. :)

> 2) Somewhat incomplete.

Hmm, what exactly is in garnet that isn't in those (not having used
either, I don't know much about either).

> To be honest, if you want to do stuff with menus and dialogs you
> should probably get Garnet, which is not CLOS based but which has a
> lot of features, examples and documentation.

I've heard lots of good stuff about garnet, too, yeah. I recall that
there were some problems with getting that up to date, as well. Were
the problems only present in CMUCL?

> I don't know how well it runs under CLISP, though.

Oh, right, well debian wouldn't have helped get it compiled for CLISP
anyway (since no one feels like figuring out what to patch in the
lastest CLISP release to get it to work with c-l-c)...

From: Paolo Amoroso
On 16 Mar 2002 07:37:24 -0800, Fred Gilham <······@snapdragon.csl.sri.com>
wrote:

> CLUE is an `intrinsics' library, like Xt.
>
> CLIO is a widget library, kind of like Xaw, built on CLUE.
>
> Both of the above are well documented but suffer from minor bit-rot
> and lack of active support.

Peter Van Eynde has started maintaining CLUE and CLIO as part of CLOCC.

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]
From: see.signature
On 15 Mar 2002 11:05:13 -0800, Damond Walker
<·······@syncreticsoft.com> wrote:

You could have a look at the various tk interfaces, like the one
offered by ecls, or the on by gcl.  There is also with-wish.lisp.

Marc

>I'm using clisp to code some personal hacks and while the individual
>hacks are coming together nicely I'd like to get a GUI (of sorts) in
>place.
>
>Currently I'm using NetBSD and dialog (Xdialog in one case) to provide
>a simple GUI.  These tools are handy for simple things but I was
>wondering if there were advanced versions of these two tools which
>allow the developer to specify multiple options per instance of
>dialog/Xdialog.
>
>For example: The version of dialog I'm using can handle a single
>inputbox or a single menu per execution.  I'd like a version of dialog
>which could handle multiple text boxes or multiple menus at the same
>time.
>
>I did manage to get CLX compiled and working and if anyone has any
>pointers to an "easy" CLX library that would be fine also.  ;)
>
>Damond

email: marc dot hoffmann at users dot whh dot wau dot nl