From: Matthias Koeppe
Subject: [Announce] CL-BibTeX 0.1 released
I am writing a replacement for the BibTeX program in Common Lisp. The
aim is to enable the user to format bibliographic entries using Common
Lisp programs, rather than using the stack language of BibTeX style
files.

As of version 0.1, the system consists of:

 * A reader for BibTeX style files (.bst),
 * a reader for bibliography databases (.bib),
 * a reader for .aux files,
 * an implementation of BibTeX's built-in functions (like for parsing and
   formatting names, etc.)
 * an interpreter for the stack language of BibTeX style files,
 * a compiler that transforms BibTeX style files into comprehensible
   Common Lisp programs (using type analysis)

I have tested it under CMUCL.  It is released under the GNU General
Public License.

   http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/cl-bibtex/

I'm looking forward to your comments.

--
Matthias K�ppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: Re: [Announce] CL-BibTeX 0.1 released
In article <···············@lambda.math.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Matthias Koeppe  <·······@mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>I am writing a replacement for the BibTeX program in Common Lisp. The
>aim is to enable the user to format bibliographic entries using Common
>Lisp programs, rather than using the stack language of BibTeX style
>files.
>
>As of version 0.1, the system consists of:
>
> * A reader for BibTeX style files (.bst),
> * a reader for bibliography databases (.bib),
> * a reader for .aux files,
> * an implementation of BibTeX's built-in functions (like for parsing and
>   formatting names, etc.)
> * an interpreter for the stack language of BibTeX style files,
> * a compiler that transforms BibTeX style files into comprehensible
>   Common Lisp programs (using type analysis)
>
>I have tested it under CMUCL.  It is released under the GNU General
>Public License.
>
>   http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/cl-bibtex/
>
>I'm looking forward to your comments.

Matthias, thank you for your work.

Does it also allow the .bib file itself to be
written in a more Lispy way, instead of the comma'd
blocks?

This may not sound like a big deal especially compared
to your emphasis on .bst files (which I have never
dared to look at let alone customize), but it has
the minor advantage of allowing easier .bib file
maintenance/manipulation with a Lisp.

--d
From: Matthias Koeppe
····@goldshoe.gte.com (Dorai Sitaram) writes:

> In article <···············@lambda.math.uni-magdeburg.de>,
> Matthias Koeppe  <·······@mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>>I am writing a replacement for the BibTeX program in Common Lisp. The
>>aim is to enable the user to format bibliographic entries using Common
>>Lisp programs, rather than using the stack language of BibTeX style
>>files.
>
> Does it also allow the .bib file itself to be
> written in a more Lispy way, instead of the comma'd
> blocks?

No, and I don't think that would be useful.  The .bib file format is
pretty standard: bibliography databases emit this format, one can
share bibliographic entries with colleagues, and there is a good Emacs
major mode for editing them.

> This may not sound like a big deal especially compared
> to your emphasis on .bst files (which I have never
> dared to look at let alone customize), but it has
> the minor advantage of allowing easier .bib file
> maintenance/manipulation with a Lisp.

Lisp programs that want to operate on .bib files could simply use the
.bib file reader of CL-BibTeX.  What's currently missing is a .bib
file writer, but I am going to add that soon.

--
Matthias K�ppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe
From: James A. Crippen
Matthias Koeppe <·······@mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:

> ····@goldshoe.gte.com (Dorai Sitaram) writes:
>
> > In article <···············@lambda.math.uni-magdeburg.de>,
> > Matthias Koeppe  <·······@mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> >>I am writing a replacement for the BibTeX program in Common Lisp. The
> >>aim is to enable the user to format bibliographic entries using Common
> >>Lisp programs, rather than using the stack language of BibTeX style
> >>files.
> >
> > Does it also allow the .bib file itself to be
> > written in a more Lispy way, instead of the comma'd
> > blocks?
>
> No, and I don't think that would be useful.  The .bib file format is
> pretty standard: bibliography databases emit this format, one can
> share bibliographic entries with colleagues, and there is a good Emacs
> major mode for editing them.

There's no reason why one couldn't take the internal Lisp structure
used by CL-BibTeX and use that, though...  Adding the code to handle
that wouldn't be very difficult, I'd bet.

'james

--
James A. Crippen <·····@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W