From: Mark Watson
Subject: Q: javadoc like tools for Common Lisp
I have just spent a fair amount of time using Google to find
options automatically generating java-doc like HTML files
from specially formatted comments before/in function
definitions.

A second best choice would be something that processed standard
Common Lisp documentation strings.

Being a sometimes lazy programmer, I would really appreciate
a heads up on which options are best, and not have to try them all.

I am not so interested in complete "software engineering"
solutions like SDS on sourceforge, ADL from CMU, etc.

I use OpenMCL and CLisp on Mac OS X and LispWorks under
Linux and Winblows, so I would like something portable.

Thanks!,Mark

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Q: javadoc like tools for Common Lisp
Mark Watson <·····@markwatson.com> writes:

> I have just spent a fair amount of time using Google to find
> options automatically generating java-doc like HTML files
> from specially formatted comments before/in function
> definitions.
>
> A second best choice would be something that processed standard
> Common Lisp documentation strings.
>
> Being a sometimes lazy programmer, I would really appreciate
> a heads up on which options are best, and not have to try them all.
>
> I am not so interested in complete "software engineering"
> solutions like SDS on sourceforge, ADL from CMU, etc.
>
> I use OpenMCL and CLisp on Mac OS X and LispWorks under
> Linux and Winblows, so I would like something portable.

I'm working on a tool at HyperMeta that one could describe as
JavaDoc-like, though it works from docstrings and other such source
annotations to produce HTML.  (I hadn't realized that HTML generation
and doc string usage were incompatible concepts, but your wording
suggests that to you they are....)

The actual tool I have is up and running for me internally, but I'm
busy writing the text documentation, usage-tuning the spec, and
working out some legal and commercial issues.  Availability sometime
around summertime? Details being determined.  [I wish it were going faster,
but it's a tricky business bootstrapping a company, and both doing things
that bring in income and also doing things that are future-looking that
don't (yet) bring in income.]
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:31:09 GMT, Mark Watson <·····@markwatson.com> wrote:

> I have just spent a fair amount of time using Google to find
> options automatically generating java-doc like HTML files
> from specially formatted comments before/in function
> definitions.

I don't know whether you have already run across the articles with the
following message IDs, but they are relevant:

  ··············@orion.bln.pmsf.de

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]