From: Alexander Wentworth
Subject: Lisp/Linux Neophyte with many questions.
Hello Everyone

I have just started teaching myself Lisp and Linux and have many
questions that I hope you will be able to answer.

Before I can ask those questions, I need to set up my
editing/debugging environment.

Right now I have installed clisp on my system (running Red Hat 7.2)
and I don&#8217;t know if I am using it correctly&#8230;

Right now, the only way I can run a lisp file that I have written is
to type:
&#8216;./lisp.run &#8211;M lispinit.mem [the file I want to run]
This seems a bit odd, but it is the only think I can figure out.

As a editor, I am running emacs.  I have found the lisp mode, which is
very nice because it lets me determine which parentheses go with
which.  The one thing I would like it to have it color-coded.  I know
I have seen emacs color code lisp when it is run under xwindows, but
for reasons too complicated to mention I can&#8217;t run X, so I am
doing everything in text mode.  So I would like to know if I can color
code in emacs in text mode.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for helping me on this and
future matters.
-Alexander

P.S.  If you think I am posting these questions in an inappropriate
forum, please feel free to re-direct me.

From: Jacek Generowicz
Subject: Re: Lisp/Linux Neophyte with many questions.
··················@hotmail.com (Alexander Wentworth) writes:

> Hello Everyone
>
> I have just started teaching myself Lisp and Linux and have many
> questions that I hope you will be able to answer.
>
> Before I can ask those questions, I need to set up my
> editing/debugging environment.
>
> Right now I have installed clisp on my system (running Red Hat 7.2)
> and I don&#8217;t know if I am using it correctly&#8230;
>
> Right now, the only way I can run a lisp file that I have written is
> to type:
> &#8216;./lisp.run &#8211;M lispinit.mem [the file I want to run]
> This seems a bit odd, but it is the only think I can figure out.

You appear to be loading a memory image, while from your textual
description I would have guessed that you are talking about source
code. In the latter case I would save the source code in a file such
as mycode.lisp, then start up clisp, at which point you should see
something like

  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
   \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
    `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
        |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
  ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2001

[1]>

At this point you could try typing (load "mycode.lisp") [or even
(load "mycode")].

Of course one of the great things about lisp is its interactivity, so
you don't need to `run files': you can type forms at the prompt and
have them evaluated immediately, without having to go through the
hassle of saving them into a file and loading it.

> As a editor, I am running emacs.  I have found the lisp mode, which is
> very nice because it lets me determine which parentheses go with
> which.

I suggest you install ilisp,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp/

which is very useful for making emacs interact with your lisp
implementation. It really makes life a lot easier.

> The one thing I would like it to have it color-coded.  I know
> I have seen emacs color code lisp when it is run under xwindows, but
> for reasons too complicated to mention I can&#8217;t run X, so I am
> doing everything in text mode.

I suspect that it could be well worth your while to find a way of
using X.

>  So I would like to know if I can color code in emacs in text mode.

I believe that XEmacs used to have a greater variety of fonts
available in such situations than FSF Emacs, dunno whether this still
is the case. Either way, I think your productivity would benefit
greatly from having access to X.

Good luck.
--
I resolve to ensure that from now on, at least 95% of the content
of each and every one of my posts in comp.lang.lisp will be about

Jacek Generowicz, 9-3-2002

Forgive me if I do not respond to non-technical issues.
From: Jacek Generowicz
Jacek Generowicz <················@cern.ch> writes:

> >  So I would like to know if I can color code in emacs in text mode.
>
> I believe that XEmacs used to have a greater variety of fonts
> available in such situations than FSF Emacs,

Out-of-the-box, I mean. I am sure you can persuade both to give you
plenty of colours, but, as I said, I'm not convinced that your effort
would be best spent in this way.

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Jacek Generowicz <················@cern.ch> writes:

> ··················@hotmail.com (Alexander Wentworth) writes:
>
> > Hello Everyone
> >
> > I have just started teaching myself Lisp and Linux and have many
> > questions that I hope you will be able to answer.
> >
> > Before I can ask those questions, I need to set up my
> > editing/debugging environment.
> >
> > Right now I have installed clisp on my system (running Red Hat 7.2)
> > and I don&#8217;t know if I am using it correctly&#8230;
> >
> > Right now, the only way I can run a lisp file that I have written is
> > to type:
> > &#8216;./lisp.run &#8211;M lispinit.mem [the file I want to run]
> > This seems a bit odd, but it is the only think I can figure out.
>
> You appear to be loading a memory image, while from your textual
> description I would have guessed that you are talking about source
> code. In the latter case I would save the source code in a file such
> as mycode.lisp, then start up clisp, at which point you should see
> something like
>
>   i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
>   I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
>   I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
>    \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
>     `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
>         |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
>   ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8
>
> Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
> Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
> Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
> Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2001
>
> [1]>
>
> At this point you could try typing (load "mycode.lisp") [or even
> (load "mycode")].
>
> Of course one of the great things about lisp is its interactivity, so
> you don't need to `run files': you can type forms at the prompt and
> have them evaluated immediately, without having to go through the
> hassle of saving them into a file and loading it.
>
> > As a editor, I am running emacs.  I have found the lisp mode, which is
> > very nice because it lets me determine which parentheses go with
> > which.
>

> I suggest you install ilisp,
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp/
>
> which is very useful for making emacs interact with your lisp
> implementation. It really makes life a lot easier.

Absolutely.

> > The one thing I would like it to have it color-coded.  I know
> > I have seen emacs color code lisp when it is run under xwindows, but
> > for reasons too complicated to mention I can&#8217;t run X, so I am
> > doing everything in text mode.
>
> I suspect that it could be well worth your while to find a way of
> using X.

Why?  I like being able to have lots of Really Wide windows, but other
than that, it's not a big deal ... I hope you're not saying that for
font-locking reasons, because one thing I love about writing Lisp code
is that I can read it quite easily without colors.

> >  So I would like to know if I can color code in emacs in text mode.
>
> I believe that XEmacs used to have a greater variety of fonts
> available in such situations than FSF Emacs, dunno whether this still
> is the case. Either way, I think your productivity would benefit
> greatly from having access to X.

Xemacs >= 20, Gnu Emacs >= 21 will give you colors on the console.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Jacek Generowicz
···@apocalypse.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> > > The one thing I would like it to have it color-coded.  I know
> > > I have seen emacs color code lisp when it is run under xwindows, but
> > > for reasons too complicated to mention I can&#8217;t run X, so I am
> > > doing everything in text mode.
> >
> > I suspect that it could be well worth your while to find a way of
> > using X.
>
> Why?  I like being able to have lots of Really Wide windows,

. . . and really tall.

> but other than that, it's not a big deal ... I hope you're not
> saying that for font-locking reasons, because one thing I love about
> writing Lisp code is that I can read it quite easily without colors.

I'd agree that I find Lisp easier to read without font-locking than
other languagues (at least that's my impression, I haven't tried to
check this scientifically). For lisp I tend to have an emacs with a
window showing a buffer/file in COMMON-LISP-USER mode in which I type
and store various forms I am trying out, and a second window for the
ilisp output (and entering the odd forms, too), and a web browser
looking at the HyperSpec. I guess you could do this with 3 virtual
consoles (could you have the same emacs process display 2 frames on
different consoles? - otherwise just switch buffers on the same
console) using lynx as the browser . . . but I don't think this would
be as effective as the X solution.

Being able to see different bits of information (other bits of code in
the same file, some output, the spec) just by moving your eyballs
rather than having to switch between them with key chords (or, god
forbid, the mouse) strikes me as a very significant advantage.

I appreciate large high-resolution screens, not for any breathtaking
graphical pyrotechnics they allow, but for the large amount of
_textual_ information that can comfortably appear on them all at once.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Jacek Generowicz <················@cern.ch> writes:

> I appreciate large high-resolution screens, not for any breathtaking
> graphical pyrotechnics they allow, but for the large amount of
> _textual_ information that can comfortably appear on them all at once.

Me, too.  This uncovers differing assumptions we were making: I
figured that he had old hardware, which is why he couldn't get X
running, which means X wouldn't give him much more useful text area
than a console.  You were obviously figuring it'd get him more screen
real estate :)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Michael J. Ferrador
Jacek Generowicz wrote:

> [...]

I've seen color w/ xEmacs in text mode

> > > I suspect that it could be well worth your while to find a way of
> > > using X.
> >
> > Why?  I like being able to have lots of Really Wide windows,
>
> . . . and really tall.
>
> > but other than that, it's not a big deal ... I hope you're not
> > saying that for font-locking reasons, because one thing I love about
> > writing Lisp code is that I can read it quite easily without colors.
>
> I'd agree that I find Lisp easier to read without font-locking than
> other languagues (at least that's my impression, I haven't tried to
> check this scientifically). For lisp I tend to have an emacs with a
> window showing a buffer/file in COMMON-LISP-USER mode in which I type
> and store various forms I am trying out, and a second window for the
> ilisp output (and entering the odd forms, too), and a web browser
> looking at the HyperSpec. I guess you could do this with 3 virtual

(defun frame-unused-VTs ()
  (make-frame-on-tty "/dev/tty8") ... )

From: Brian P Templeton
Jacek Generowicz <················@cern.ch> writes:

>> > I suspect that it could be well worth your while to find a way of
>> > using X.
>>
>> Why?  I like being able to have lots of Really Wide windows,
>
> . . . and really tall.
>
>> but other than that, it's not a big deal ... I hope you're not
>> saying that for font-locking reasons, because one thing I love about
>> writing Lisp code is that I can read it quite easily without colors.
>
> I'd agree that I find Lisp easier to read without font-locking than
> other languagues (at least that's my impression, I haven't tried to
> check this scientifically). For lisp I tend to have an emacs with a
> window showing a buffer/file in COMMON-LISP-USER mode in which I type
> and store various forms I am trying out, and a second window for the
> ilisp output (and entering the odd forms, too), and a web browser
> looking at the HyperSpec. I guess you could do this with 3 virtual
> consoles (could you have the same emacs process display 2 frames on
> different consoles? - otherwise just switch buffers on the same
> console) using lynx as the browser . . . but I don't think this would
> be as effective as the X solution.

Possible solutions:

> Being able to see different bits of information (other bits of code in
> the same file, some output, the spec) just by moving your eyballs
> rather than having to switch between them with key chords (or, god
> forbid, the mouse) strikes me as a very significant advantage.

TWIN
http://sf.net/projects/twin

> I appreciate large high-resolution screens, not for any breathtaking
> graphical pyrotechnics they allow, but for the large amount of
> _textual_ information that can comfortably appear on them all at once.
SVGATextMode
included in most GNU/Linux distributionss

--
BPT <···@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail
From: Tim Daly, Jr.
I don't know much about clisp, but maybe I can give you a couple
of emacs tips:

··················@hotmail.com (Alexander Wentworth) writes:

> Hello Everyone
>
> I have just started teaching myself Lisp and Linux and have many
> questions that I hope you will be able to answer.

[snip]

> As a editor, I am running emacs.  I have found the lisp mode, which is
> very nice because it lets me determine which parentheses go with
> which.  The one thing I would like it to have it color-coded.  I know
> I have seen emacs color code lisp when it is run under xwindows, but
> for reasons too complicated to mention I can&#8217;t run X, so I am
> doing everything in text mode.  So I would like to know if I can color
> code in emacs in text mode.

The linux console supports colors quite nicely, in my experience.  You
may need to tell emacs explicitly that you want colors.  To try it out,
while you're in lisp mode do a M-x font-lock-mode RET.  The simplest
way to make this permanent is to put a line like:

(global-font-lock-mode)

in your ~/.emacs file.  This will colorize all buffers, which could be
annoying.

You may want to check out ilisp mode.  You can get it from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp/

It lets you do a lot more than match parens.

> I would like to thank everyone in advance for helping me on this and
> future matters.
> -Alexander
>
> P.S.  If you think I am posting these questions in an inappropriate
> forum, please feel free to re-direct me.

Have fun,
-Tim
From: Brian P Templeton
[Most of this post is to the OP; I wanted to respond to one of your
(Tim Daly's) suggestions, though]

··········@yahoo.com (Tim Daly, Jr.) writes:

> I don't know much about clisp, but maybe I can give you a couple
> of emacs tips:
>
> ··················@hotmail.com (Alexander Wentworth) writes:
>
>> Hello Everyone
>>
>> I have just started teaching myself Lisp and Linux and have many
>> questions that I hope you will be able to answer.
>
> [snip]
>
>> As a editor, I am running emacs.  I have found the lisp mode, which is
>> very nice because it lets me determine which parentheses go with
>> which.  The one thing I would like it to have it color-coded.  I know
>> I have seen emacs color code lisp when it is run under xwindows, but
>> for reasons too complicated to mention I can&#8217;t run X, so I am
>> doing everything in text mode.  So I would like to know if I can color
>> code in emacs in text mode.
>
> The linux console supports colors quite nicely, in my experience.  You
> may need to tell emacs explicitly that you want colors.  To try it out,
> while you're in lisp mode do a M-x font-lock-mode RET.  The simplest
> way to make this permanent is to put a line like:
>
> (global-font-lock-mode)

`(global-font-lock-mode 1)' might be a better solution. This ensures
that it is unconditionally enabled even if it is, for example, enabled
by default in some future version of Emacs, or by a systemwide startup
file, etc.

(BTW, only GNU Emacs 21.1 and up support colors on a console. XEmacs
has supported them for a little longer, but I'm not sure what version
first included it.)

> in your ~/.emacs file.  This will colorize all buffers, which could be
> annoying.

Another useful color-related library is color-theme. It is available
from <URL:http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ColorTheme>; it
includes a large selection of color themes (over 50).

> You may want to check out ilisp mode.  You can get it from:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp/
>
> It lets you do a lot more than match parens.
>

>> I would like to thank everyone in advance for helping me on this and
>> future matters.
>> -Alexander
>>
>> P.S.  If you think I am posting these questions in an inappropriate
>> forum, please feel free to re-direct me.

For future Emacs questions, except possibly some ILISP questions, you
(the OP) should probably use comp.emacs.