From: Donald Chen
Subject: Very newbie question.  Which free Common Lisp to start with?
Hi, there.

Could you point out which free common lisp to start with?
( in terms of teaching myself to think in lisp )

I use emacs on a daily bases, do you think emacs-lisp is a common-lisp
compatable one, and is a good start point?

Any URL you recommand to download the one you recommand?

Thanks a lot,

Donald

From: Marco Antoniotti
······@hotmail.com (Donald Chen) writes:

> Hi, there.
>
> Could you point out which free common lisp to start with?
> ( in terms of teaching myself to think in lisp )
>
> I use emacs on a daily bases, do you think emacs-lisp is a common-lisp
> compatable one, and is a good start point?

Emacs Lisp gets "close" to a Common Lisp if you stick

	(require 'cl)

in your .emacs files.

> Any URL you recommand to download the one you recommand?

Look at http://www.alu.org and choose from there.

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
······@hotmail.com (Donald Chen) writes:

> Hi, there.
>
> Could you point out which free common lisp to start with?  ( in
> terms of teaching myself to think in lisp )

<http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html#AEN58>

(Note that all the commercial vendors have free trial versions
available which include very good environments for learning the
language.)

> I use emacs on a daily bases, do you think emacs-lisp is a
> common-lisp compatable one, and is a good start point?

Emacs Lisp is _not_ Common Lisp, there are major differences. You
should use one of the implementations listed above.

HTH,
Edi.

--

Dr. Edmund Weitz