From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Using ILISP with the ACL trial edition on Windows
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use ILISP with the Franz
Allegro CL trial edition on MS Windows? I can get it to work fine with
their ELI package in emacs, but I can't get the ILISP interface to
work.  I can get LispWorks and CLISP to work ok but not ACL. I have
tried both alisp.exe and allegro-ansi.exe as the images that are
called by ILISP, but neither one works properly. What happens is:

1. After setting up ILISP, I run allegro 2. The *allegro* buffer opens
up with the following messages in the buffer: Starting allegro ...
ILISP V5.11.1 Use M-x ilisp-bug for problems and suggestions.  3. ACL
(either alisp or allegro-ansi) opens up in a separate GUI window (not
an emacs window). I can enter lisp forms ok in that window.  4. The
*allegro* buffer remains at the state in step #2 and I don't get a
lisp prompt in that window as I do for LW and CLISP.  5. Eventually, I
close down the ACL application window - nothing happens in the
*allegro* emacs window, so I just kill that window.

I thought that the problem might lie in configuring ACL to act as a
console app. In the ACL documentation (startup.htm), it says the
following:
--------------------
4.2.1 Starting Allegro CL on Windows as a Console App: You can start
Allegro CL on Windows as a Console Application by using the executable
build.exe rather than mlisp.exe. build.exe is a WIN32 console
application, whereas mlisp.exe is a WIN32 Windows application. If you
want to run a command-line oriented version of ACL, use build.exe.

Note that there are issues with multiprocessing and
build.exe. build.exe sometimes cannot tell if input is available or if
a process that is waiting on input should wake up. For this reason, we
recommend you do not use build.exe with multiprocessing applications.

Note further that build.exe does not accept the arguments that begin
with +. Command-line argument are described in Section 5.0 Command
line arguments.

However, build.exe doesn't come with the trial version of ACL. Does
anyone know whether it is possible to either use one of the images
(mlisp, alisp, allegro, alisp8, mlisp8) that comes with the trial
version of acl with emacs/ilisp or how to build a non-gui console
image that can be used with emacs/ilisp?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

--
Bill Clementson