From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
Subject: Will noncommercial ACL generate applications.
I have some applications I have to write for my use.
I was wondering if it is permitted to use the free version
of ACL to do it with.
If not I'll go some other way ( Cincom if I'm adventurous,
or I'll just stick with BCB if I'm not ).

From: Richard Krush
Thaddeus L Olczyk <······@interaccess.com> writes:
> I have some applications I have to write for my use.
> I was wondering if it is permitted to use the free version
> of ACL to do it with.
> If not I'll go some other way ( Cincom if I'm adventurous,
> or I'll just stick with BCB if I'm not ).

Here's a quotation from ACL 6.1 documentation [1]:

    "Note that generate-application and generate-executable are
     only available in Enterprise versions of Allegro CL."

I believe this means that Trial versions of ACL are not capable of doing
what you want, so I guess you will have to use some other development
software.

[1] http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.1/doc/delivery.htm

Good Luck!

P.S. Even though Smalltalk is not Lisp, it's still a better solution than
BCB, in my opinion :-)

--
 Richard Krushelnitskiy   "I know not with what weapons World War III will
 ·········@gmx.net         be fought, but World War IV will be fought with
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Thaddeus L Olczyk <······@interaccess.com> writes:

> I have some applications I have to write for my use.
> I was wondering if it is permitted to use the free version
> of ACL to do it with.
> If not I'll go some other way ( Cincom if I'm adventurous,
> or I'll just stick with BCB if I'm not ).

You do know there are other Common Lisp systems besides ACL, right? ;-)
It seems really weird to me that if you can't deploy your applications
with ACL, you'd rather switch languages than implementations.  I think
you can do what you want with Lispworks or Corman on Windows, or LW,
CMUCL, or CLISP on Unix.  Not that there's anything wrong with
Smalltalk, it's just a bit of a drastic step.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Paul D. Lathrop
"Thomas F. Burdick" <···@monsoon.OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message
····················@monsoon.OCF.Berkeley.EDU...
> Thaddeus L Olczyk <······@interaccess.com> writes:
>
> > I have some applications I have to write for my use.
> > I was wondering if it is permitted to use the free version
> > of ACL to do it with.
> > If not I'll go some other way ( Cincom if I'm adventurous,
> > or I'll just stick with BCB if I'm not ).
>
> You do know there are other Common Lisp systems besides ACL, right? ;-)
> It seems really weird to me that if you can't deploy your applications
> with ACL, you'd rather switch languages than implementations.  I think
> you can do what you want with Lispworks or Corman on Windows, or LW,
> CMUCL, or CLISP on Unix.  Not that there's anything wrong with
> Smalltalk, it's just a bit of a drastic step.

Lispworks for Windows will do that, but not int the non-commercial version.
I don't know about Corman, though.
From: Roger Corman
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:18:52 -0400, "Paul D. Lathrop" <········@chartermi.net>
wrote:

>"Thomas F. Burdick" <···@monsoon.OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message
>····················@monsoon.OCF.Berkeley.EDU...
>> Thaddeus L Olczyk <······@interaccess.com> writes:
>>
>> > I have some applications I have to write for my use.
>> > I was wondering if it is permitted to use the free version
>> > of ACL to do it with.
>> > If not I'll go some other way ( Cincom if I'm adventurous,
>> > or I'll just stick with BCB if I'm not ).

>Lispworks for Windows will do that, but not int the non-commercial version.
>I don't know about Corman, though.

For Windows platforms, you can save applications with the free personal
version of Corman Lisp 1.5.
See the samples provided, and the product documentation for details
From: Joe Marshall
"Thomas F. Burdick" <···@monsoon.OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message
····················@monsoon.OCF.Berkeley.EDU...
> Thaddeus L Olczyk <······@interaccess.com> writes:
>
> > I have some applications I have to write for my use.
> > I was wondering if it is permitted to use the free version
> > of ACL to do it with.
> > If not I'll go some other way ( Cincom if I'm adventurous,
> > or I'll just stick with BCB if I'm not ).
>
> You do know there are other Common Lisp systems besides ACL, right? ;-)
> It seems really weird to me that if you can't deploy your applications
> with ACL, you'd rather switch languages than implementations.

Can one switch languages rather than implementations?

In any case, why compound your problems by abandoning the existing
code *and* the existing implementation?
From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:14:55 GMT, "Joe Marshall"
<·············@attbi.com> wrote:

>"Thomas F. Burdick" <···@monsoon.OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message
>····················@monsoon.OCF.Berkeley.EDU...
>> Thaddeus L Olczyk <······@interaccess.com> writes:
>>
>> > I have some applications I have to write for my use.
>> > I was wondering if it is permitted to use the free version
>> > of ACL to do it with.
>> > If not I'll go some other way ( Cincom if I'm adventurous,
>> > or I'll just stick with BCB if I'm not ).
>>
>> You do know there are other Common Lisp systems besides ACL, right? ;-)
>> It seems really weird to me that if you can't deploy your applications
>> with ACL, you'd rather switch languages than implementations.
>
>Can one switch languages rather than implementations?
>
>In any case, why compound your problems by abandoning the existing
>code *and* the existing implementation?

The code doesn't exist yet. That's why I ask to be sure I can do it
*before* I write the code.