From: Larry Hunter
Subject: Old lisp satire
Many years ago (mid 1980s, I think), there was a satire I recall
seeing posted on the wall at school called something like

 Lisp as a Theory of Mind

Does anyone have any idea where I might find a copy? Google didn't
find me anything useful.

Larry

--

Lawrence Hunter, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Computational Pharmacology

phone  +1 303 315 1094           UCHSC, Campus Box C236
fax    +1 303 315 1098           School of Medicine rm 2817b
cell   +1 303 324 0355           4200 E. 9th Ave.
email: ············@uchsc.edu    Denver, CO 80262

From: Donald Fisk
Subject: Re: Old lisp satire
Larry Hunter wrote:

> Many years ago (mid 1980s, I think), there was a satire I recall
> seeing posted on the wall at school called something like
>
>  Lisp as a Theory of Mind
>
> Does anyone have any idea where I might find a copy? Google didn't
> find me anything useful.

If it's what I think it is, it's a report on the "Workshop
on the Psychological Reality of Lisp" published in the AISB
magazine, certainly no later than 1983 and probably in 1982.

I can remember very little about it, only the bit about
how the time it took for people to solve problems was
normally proportional to the number of cons cells used,
but sometimes much longer than this, during which they
entered a trance-like state.

--
Dalinian: Lisp. Java. Which one sounds sexier?
RevAaron: Definitely Lisp. Lisp conjures up images of hippy coders,
From: James A. Crippen
Donald Fisk <················@enterprise.net> writes:

> Larry Hunter wrote:
> >
> > Many years ago (mid 1980s, I think), there was a satire I recall
> > seeing posted on the wall at school called something like
> >
> >  Lisp as a Theory of Mind
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea where I might find a copy? Google didn't
> > find me anything useful.
>
> If it's what I think it is, it's a report on the "Workshop
> on the Psychological Reality of Lisp" published in the AISB
> magazine, certainly no later than 1983 and probably in 1982.
>
> I can remember very little about it, only the bit about
> how the time it took for people to solve problems was
> normally proportional to the number of cons cells used,
> but sometimes much longer than this, during which they
> entered a trance-like state.

*Somebody* oughta have a copy of this somewhere...  It sounds like a
real treasure...

'james

--
James A. Crippen <·····@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W
From: Donald Fisk
"James A. Crippen" wrote:

> Donald Fisk <················@enterprise.net> writes:
>
> > Larry Hunter wrote:
> > >
> > > Many years ago (mid 1980s, I think), there was a satire I recall
> > > seeing posted on the wall at school called something like
> > >
> > >  Lisp as a Theory of Mind
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any idea where I might find a copy? Google didn't
> > > find me anything useful.
> >
> > If it's what I think it is, it's a report on the "Workshop
> > on the Psychological Reality of Lisp" published in the AISB
> > magazine, certainly no later than 1983 and probably in 1982.
> >
> > I can remember very little about it, only the bit about
> > how the time it took for people to solve problems was
> > normally proportional to the number of cons cells used,
> > but sometimes much longer than this, during which they
> > entered a trance-like state.
>
> *Somebody* oughta have a copy of this somewhere...  It sounds like a
> real treasure...

Found it!

http://www.pgc.com/pgc/home-stuff/papers-archive/think-w-diag/psych-rea-lisp.html

The copyright notice at the bottom is wrong: it's AISB, not AISE
whatever
that is.

> 'james

Le Hibou
From: r.s.aylett
> Found it!

http://www.pgc.com/pgc/home-stuff/papers-archive/think-w-diag/psych-rea-lisp.html

> The copyright notice at the bottom is wrong: it's AISB, not AISE
> whatever
> that is.

AISB = Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour, the UK
sort-of-equivalent to AAAI. See www.aisb.org.uk. The Quarterly has always
had some great satire - the Fr. Hacker column was always my favourite.

----

--
Ruth Aylett
From: Peter Norvig
Believe it or not, R.M. Duck Lewis is a pseudonym.  If I recall
correctly, the actual author is Graeme Hirst.

-Peter Norvig

From: Larry Hunter
Y'all are the best. Thanks for finding "The psychological reality of
lisp"! I thought it was gone forever.

Peter Norvig said:

  Believe it or not, R.M. Duck Lewis is a pseudonym. If I recall
  correctly, the actual author is Graeme Hirst.

All of the names (except for the correctly spelled S*c*hank at the
bottom, presumably a typo), are pseudonyms that give a pretty good
idea of to whom they were referring. I think Peter is probably right
about the real author.

OK, since you guys could find this one, can anyone find the Larry
Birnbaum satire about machine learning where the protagonist was
Winston Langley? Alas, there is a real person by that name, so Google
didn't seem to help.

Larry

From: Gordon Joly
In article <··············@kappa.unlambda.com>,
James A. Crippen <·····@unlambda.com> wrote:
>Donald Fisk <················@enterprise.net> writes:
>
>> Larry Hunter wrote:
>> >
>> > Many years ago (mid 1980s, I think), there was a satire I recall
>> > seeing posted on the wall at school called something like
>> >
>> >  Lisp as a Theory of Mind
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any idea where I might find a copy? Google didn't
>> > find me anything useful.
>>
>> If it's what I think it is, it's a report on the "Workshop
>> on the Psychological Reality of Lisp" published in the AISB
>> magazine, certainly no later than 1983 and probably in 1982.
>>
>> I can remember very little about it, only the bit about
>> how the time it took for people to solve problems was
>> normally proportional to the number of cons cells used,
>> but sometimes much longer than this, during which they
>> entered a trance-like state.
>
>*Somebody* oughta have a copy of this somewhere...  It sounds like a
>real treasure...
>
>'james
>
>--
>James A. Crippen <·····@unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
>Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W
>Y = \f.(\x.f(xx)) (\x.f(xx))         |  |\  | Earth, Sol System,
>Y(F) = F(Y(F))                        \_,-_/  Milky Way.

I googled and found this....

    * Theory of Mind
          * diagrams.html Diagrams of the Open Source AI Theory of Mind
          * theory1.html Nolarbeit Theory Journal, Part One
          * theory2.html Nolarbeit Theory Journal, Part Two
          * theory3.html Nolarbeit Theory Journal, Part Three
          * theory4.html Natural Language through Abstract Memory
          * theory5.html Brain-Mind: Know Thyself!

References...

http://mind.sourceforge.net/lisp.html
http://mind.sourceforge.net/diagrams.html
http://mind.sourceforge.net/sitemap.html
http://mind.sourceforge.net/

"The Robot AI Mind at [SourceForge] with Programmer's Manual and User
Manual To the Robot AI Mind"

Gordo
From: Pekka P. Pirinen
·····@loopzilla.org (Gordon Joly) writes:

> I googled and found this....
>
>     * Theory of Mind [at] http://mind.sourceforge.net/

Oh, that's no satire, that's yet another incarnation of Arthur
Murray's old Mentifex <http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/> project.  Some
readers will remember his recurring Mind.Lisp postings (or similar
pointless diagrams from other newsgroups, going back 17 years now).  I
suppose like any long-time obsession it is turning into involuntary
self-satire.

The coding style is at least 17 years old, definitely.
--
Pekka P. Pirinen
"The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously."
From: James A. Crippen
Donald Fisk <················@enterprise.net> writes:

> Dalinian: Lisp. Java. Which one sounds sexier?
> RevAaron: Definitely Lisp. Lisp conjures up images of hippy coders,
> drugs, sex, and rock & roll. Late nights at Berkeley, coding in Lisp
> fueled by LSD.  Java evokes a vision of a stereotypical nerd, with
> no life or social skills.

Can I get an attribution for this?  I wanna put it in LAMBDA.TXT.
It'd be better to have names instead of handles.

http://www.unlambda.com/~james/lambda/lambda.txt

'james

From: Donald Fisk
"James A. Crippen" wrote:

> Donald Fisk <················@enterprise.net> writes:
>
> > Dalinian: Lisp. Java. Which one sounds sexier?
> > RevAaron: Definitely Lisp. Lisp conjures up images of hippy coders,
> > drugs, sex, and rock & roll. Late nights at Berkeley, coding in Lisp
> > fueled by LSD.  Java evokes a vision of a stereotypical nerd, with
> > no life or social skills.
>
> Can I get an attribution for this?  I wanna put it in LAMBDA.TXT.
> It'd be better to have names instead of handles.

It's from a slashdot discussion: Lisp as an alternative to Java
(http://slashdot.org/developers/01/09/08/0113203.shtml).

> http://www.unlambda.com/~james/lambda/lambda.txt

This looks as if it started out as an ITS file used to contain
quotations which were printed out by TS BYE.   Or a meringue?

> 'james

Le Hibou
From: James A. Crippen
Donald Fisk <················@enterprise.net> writes:

> > http://www.unlambda.com/~james/lambda/lambda.txt
>
> This looks as if it started out as an ITS file used to contain
> quotations which were printed out by TS BYE.   Or a meringue?

Yup.  If you look in the containing directory you'll find the original
file from ITS.

But lots of other quotes and goodies have been thrown in by me.  And I
chopped out a lot of what was in LINS > because it wasn't as
Lisp-relevant.  There's lots of new stuff there, like some screamingly
funny poetic crocks by GLS.

Remember folks, if you have any good Lisp jokes or quotes from Lisp
hackers that are even funnier when taken out of context, waaay out of
context, then submit them to me for inclusion in LAMBDA.TXT!  (ITS and
general PDP-10 quotes are also welcome.)

'james