From: Vladimir Zolotykh
Subject: Finalization of a class
When I see a error:

Error: Class #<my-metaclass my-own-class @ #x7153905a> is not
       yet finalized.

What I should check first ? Are there some common problems
which lead to such error ?

--
Vladimir Zolotykh

From: Tim Moore
Subject: Re: Finalization of a class
On Sat, 01 Jun 2002 11:05:53 +0300, Vladimir Zolotykh <······@eurocom.od.ua>
wrote:
>When I see a error:
>
>Error: Class #<my-metaclass my-own-class @ #x7153905a> is not
>       yet finalized.
>
>What I should check first ? Are there some common problems
>which lead to such error ?

This is self-explanatory, believe it or not.  It means you've tried to
access some property of the class that hasn't been computed yet
because the implementation is putting that off to the last possible
moment.  That moment is left unspecified but is no later than when an
instance of the class is allocated.  I've tripped over this when
using class-prototype and class-precedence-list.  ACL is pretty "lazy"
here, while PCL will often finalize inheritance for you rather than
throw this error.

Fortunately this is easy to work around, provided that the class can
be finalized.  This is from McCLIM sources:

(defun safe-cpl (class)
  (unless (clim-mop:class-finalized-p class)
    (clim-mop:finalize-inheritance class))
  (clim-mop:class-precedence-list class))

Tim
From: Vladimir Zolotykh