From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
Subject: CMUCL,DEFSYSTEM,CLAWK and CMUCLLIB.
I'm having trouble using defsystem to load the regex library that
comes with clawk.

Initially I tried this:
export CMUCLLIB=directory_of_regex:directory_of_lib

Then I started cmucl
and did:
(load "defsystem.lisp")
;; OK so far.

(make:operate-on-system "regex" 'load)
;; produced an error message
;;Error opening file "regex.system"

Doing
(ext:search-list "library:")
I get
(#pdirectory_of_lib)

So apparently the environmental variable
CMUCLLIB is never read.
After trying all sorts of things, I have to admit that
I have no idea how to start cmucl so that library:
has what I ant in it. Hints?

So I assign (#pdirectory_of_lib #pdirectory_of_regex)
to library:. This time it's value is correct, and it seems to work,
but I get...
end-Of-File on #<stream of regex.translations>

Opening regex.translations I find that it only contains lines
following:
#+:LispWorks.
So apparently it contains nothing for cmucl.

Any way to fix this?

From: Andreas Hinze
Subject: Re: CMUCL,DEFSYSTEM,CLAWK and CMUCLLIB.
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:

> I'm having trouble using defsystem to load the regex library that
> comes with clawk.

Yes i also have problems with the "regex.system" file.
As a first hack i simply commented all forms that doesn't work
(specialy that ones that deals with logical-names) After that
it compiles fine (still with errors but thats an other story - see the
"Is there a lexical analyser avail ?" thread).
But this is just a hack, of course (i just want to see regex work's at all).

Best
AHz
From: Eric Marsden

  tlo> I'm having trouble using defsystem to load the regex library that
  tlo> comes with clawk.

I haven't managed to install CLAWK, because it depends on the REGEX
package, which is broken (it seems to be missing a file expand.lisp,
and some of the files are in DOS end-of-line format whereas others are
in Unix format). In general though, this is how I deal with packages
that use DEFSYSTEM with CMUCL:

  - expand the tarball into a directory such as ~/lisp/clawk
    (carefully, because the tarball isn't packaged to create the
    directory for you)

  - create a directory ~/lisp/registry, and in ~/.cmucl-init say
    (setq mk:*central-registry* (list "home:lisp/registry"))

  - set up logical pathname translations for cl-library:
    ,---- ~/.cmucl-init ---
    | (setf (logical-pathname-translations "cl-library")
    |       '(("**;*.*.*"                "home:lisp/**/*.*.*")
    |         ("*.*.*"                   "home:lisp/*.*.*")))
    `----

  - create a symbolic link from ~/lisp/registry/clawk.system to
    ~/lisp/clawk/clawk.system

  - modify the clawk.system file to have a :source-pathname of
    "cl-library:clawk;" and to ignore the clawk.translations file.

Now you can say (mk:oos :clawk :compile) and (mk:oos :clawk :load) and
it should handle dependencies automatically, assuming you've gone
through the same process to install the REGEX package.

If packages follow certain naming conventions, it's possible to have
all of this done almost automatically by a bunch of shell scripts;
this is the intent of the Common-Lisp-Controller facility.

   <URL:http://ww.telent.net/cliki/common-lisp-controller>

  tlo> Initially I tried this:
  tlo> export CMUCLLIB=directory_of_regex:directory_of_lib

you shouldn't be fiddling with the CMUCLLIB environment variable; that
is CMUCL-specific.

  tlo> Then I started cmucl
  tlo> and did:
  tlo> (load "defsystem.lisp")

you may find it convenient to install DEFSYSTEM as a CMUCL
"subsystem". To do this (assuming CMUCL 18d here), compile it using

   (compile-file "defsystem")

and rename the resulting defsystem.x86f file to
$CMUCLLIB/subsystems/defsystem-library.x86f (replace .x86f by .sparcf
on a SPARC). You can then load the defsystem facility into CMUCL by
saying

   (require :defsystem)

[The same thing can be done for ASDF, which is a much less crufty
 DEFSYSTEM facility than mk:defsystem; see
 <URL:http://ww.telent.net/cliki/asdf>.]

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>
From: Marco Antoniotti
Hi

let me comment on this.

Eric Marsden <········@laas.fr> writes:

>   tlo> I'm having trouble using defsystem to load the regex library that
>   tlo> comes with clawk.
>
> I haven't managed to install CLAWK, because it depends on the REGEX
> package, which is broken (it seems to be missing a file expand.lisp,
> and some of the files are in DOS end-of-line format whereas others are
> in Unix format). In general though, this is how I deal with packages
> that use DEFSYSTEM with CMUCL:
>
>   - expand the tarball into a directory such as ~/lisp/clawk
>     (carefully, because the tarball isn't packaged to create the
>     directory for you)

Good.

>   - create a directory ~/lisp/registry, and in ~/.cmucl-init say
>     (setq mk:*central-registry* (list "home:lisp/registry"))

creating this directory is a little of an overkill, but is it a good
thing.  Note that in MK:DEFSYSTEM 3.3i you say

        (mk:add-registry-location (parse-namestring "home:lisp/registry"))

>   - set up logical pathname translations for cl-library:
>     ,---- ~/.cmucl-init ---
>     | (setf (logical-pathname-translations "cl-library")
>     |       '(("**;*.*.*"                "home:lisp/**/*.*.*")
>     |         ("*.*.*"                   "home:lisp/*.*.*")))
>     `----
>
>   - create a symbolic link from ~/lisp/registry/clawk.system to
>     ~/lisp/clawk/clawk.system
>
>   - modify the clawk.system file to have a :source-pathname of
>     "cl-library:clawk;" and to ignore the clawk.translations file.
>
> Now you can say (mk:oos :clawk :compile) and (mk:oos :clawk :load) and
> it should handle dependencies automatically, assuming you've gone
> through the same process to install the REGEX package.
>
> If packages follow certain naming conventions, it's possible to have
> all of this done almost automatically by a bunch of shell scripts;
> this is the intent of the Common-Lisp-Controller facility.
>
>    <URL:http://ww.telent.net/cliki/common-lisp-controller>

Or, shameless plug, you can use the CL-CONFIGURATION system (from the
CLOCC).  In that case you should be able to create a file (clawk.conf)
in the unpacking directory which contains a form like

        (conf:defconfiguration "CLAWK" ()
           (:library-location "/usr/home/mylisp/clawk/" :os-type :unix)
           (:library-location "C:\\My Programs\\CL\\clawk\\" :os-type :windows)
           (:library-location "MyMac:My Programs:CL:clawk:" :os-type :mac-os))

the next thing you do is, within your CL

        cl-prompt> (load "clawk.conf")

(or '(load "/dir/to/clawk.conf")') and then

        cl-prompt> (conf:setup "CLAWK")

which will generate the appropriate logical pathnames for you. If you
wanted the stuff to be put elsewhere, you could say

        cl-prompt> (conf:setup "CLAWK" :library-location "/put/my/clawk/here/")

This will work in CL. No shell dependencies and no naming conventions
to follow.

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Andreas Hinze
Subject: Re: CLOCC or CCLAN (was CMUCL,DEFSYSTEM,CLAWK and CMUCLLIB.)
Eric Marsden wrote:

> If packages follow certain naming conventions, it's possible to have
> all of this done almost automatically by a bunch of shell scripts;
> this is the intent of the Common-Lisp-Controller facility.

By the way: Can anyone please explain to me what the differences are
between CLOCC and CCLAN ?
I have CCLAN installed but sometimes it seems to be good to have CLOCC too.
But since CLOCC also has an own defsystem i assume that it will not work
together with CCLAN. Is this right ?

Sincerly
AHz
From: Marco Antoniotti
Andreas Hinze <···@smi.de> writes:

> Eric Marsden wrote:
> >
> > If packages follow certain naming conventions, it's possible to have
> > all of this done almost automatically by a bunch of shell scripts;
> > this is the intent of the Common-Lisp-Controller facility.
> >
> By the way: Can anyone please explain to me what the differences are
> between CLOCC and CCLAN ?
> I have CCLAN installed but sometimes it seems to be good to have CLOCC too.
> But since CLOCC also has an own defsystem i assume that it will not work
> together with CCLAN. Is this right ?

MK:DEFSYSTEM is an independent package which happens to be in the
CLOCC.  It has its own separate package and it is downloadable
independently of the CLOCC as a whole.  Also, it predates CLOCC.

MK:DEFSYSTEM is not in ccLan because I do not know (seriously, I do
not and never had the time to figure it out) how to make .deb packages
which are required by ccLan.

If anybody is willing to make a .deb package for MK:DEFSYSTEM I will
be extremely grateful.  This is a serious request.

From: Christophe Rhodes
Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

> ndreas Hinze <···@smi.de> writes:
>
> > Eric Marsden wrote:
> > >
> > > If packages follow certain naming conventions, it's possible to have
> > > all of this done almost automatically by a bunch of shell scripts;
> > > this is the intent of the Common-Lisp-Controller facility.
> > >
> > By the way: Can anyone please explain to me what the differences are
> > between CLOCC and CCLAN ?
> > I have CCLAN installed but sometimes it seems to be good to have CLOCC too.
> > But since CLOCC also has an own defsystem i assume that it will not work
> > together with CCLAN. Is this right ?
>
> MK:DEFSYSTEM is an independent package which happens to be in the
> CLOCC.  It has its own separate package and it is downloadable
> independently of the CLOCC as a whole.  Also, it predates CLOCC.
>
> MK:DEFSYSTEM is not in ccLan because I do not know (seriously, I do
> not and never had the time to figure it out) how to make .deb packages
> which are required by ccLan.
>
> If anybody is willing to make a .deb package for MK:DEFSYSTEM I will
> be extremely grateful.  This is a serious request.

Newer Debian releases (like anything from the next one, whenever that
will be) will come with mk-defsystem as soon as any of sbcl, cmucl or
openmcl are loaded, because Peter's common-lisp-controller uses
mk-defsystem as the way of controlling installation and configuration
of packages.

As far as I'm aware, he's using the version in clocc.

Cheers,

Christophe
--
Jesus College, Cambridge, CB5 8BL                           +44 1223 510 299
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/                  (defun pling-dollar
From: Marco Antoniotti
Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

> Newer Debian releases (like anything from the next one, whenever that
> will be) will come with mk-defsystem as soon as any of sbcl, cmucl or
> openmcl are loaded, because Peter's common-lisp-controller uses
> mk-defsystem as the way of controlling installation and configuration
> of packages.
>
> As far as I'm aware, he's using the version in clocc.

I think he is.  The version in CLOCC is the official one and, to the
best of my knowledge, it includes all the changes that have been
supplied by Peter and many other as well (there is still one buglet
from the CLOCC bug database but that's it).

Apart from that, I would really like to have MK:DEFSYSTEM in ccLan.
But, seriously, I need a day or two to figure out the packaging scheme
(.deb or other) and other things as well.  I just do not have the time
now.

From: Sam Steingold
> * In message <··············@lambda.jcn.srcf.net>
> * On the subject of "Re: CLOCC or CCLAN (was CMUCL,DEFSYSTEM,CLAWK and CMUCLLIB.)"
> * Sent on 15 Jul 2002 16:43:28 +0100
> * Honorable Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> Newer Debian releases (like anything from the next one, whenever that
> will be) will come with mk-defsystem as soon as any of sbcl, cmucl or
> openmcl are loaded, because Peter's common-lisp-controller uses
> mk-defsystem as the way of controlling installation and configuration
> of packages.

why isn't CLISP on the list of these implementations?

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
From: Christophe Rhodes
Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> writes:

> > * In message <··············@lambda.jcn.srcf.net>
> > * On the subject of "Re: CLOCC or CCLAN (was CMUCL,DEFSYSTEM,CLAWK and CMUCLLIB.)"
> > * Sent on 15 Jul 2002 16:43:28 +0100
> > * Honorable Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > Newer Debian releases (like anything from the next one, whenever that
> > will be) will come with mk-defsystem as soon as any of sbcl, cmucl or
> > openmcl are loaded, because Peter's common-lisp-controller uses
> > mk-defsystem as the way of controlling installation and configuration
> > of packages.
>
> why isn't CLISP on the list of these implementations?

The Debian Maintainer for clisp (William Newton) has been busy trying
to make clisp compile on Debian's 11(!) supported architectures.  I
believe that once that is done, he intends to put the pieces together
to make clisp and common-lisp-controller play ball together.

Cheers,

Christophe

PS: Not speaking ex cathedra; these are just my impressions.
From: Michael Parker
Christophe Rhodes wrote:
> As far as I'm aware, he's using the version in clocc.

It's the version in clocc.
From: Andreas Hinze
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> MK:DEFSYSTEM is an independent package which happens to be in the
> CLOCC.  It has its own separate package and it is downloadable
> independently of the CLOCC as a whole.  Also, it predates CLOCC.
>
> MK:DEFSYSTEM is not in ccLan because I do not know (seriously, I do
> not and never had the time to figure it out) how to make .deb packages
> which are required by ccLan.

Yes you are right. I was fooled by the fact that when i installed CCLAN
i also installed mk:defsystem. The tarball for non-debian CCLAN also
includes mk:defsystem (i just read it while checking the CCLAN home page).

So i can install CLOCC packages too, cool.

Thanks for the clarification.
Sincerly
AHz
From: Marco Antoniotti
Andreas Hinze <···@smi.de> writes:

> Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> >
> > MK:DEFSYSTEM is an independent package which happens to be in the
> > CLOCC.  It has its own separate package and it is downloadable
> > independently of the CLOCC as a whole.  Also, it predates CLOCC.
> >
> > MK:DEFSYSTEM is not in ccLan because I do not know (seriously, I do
> > not and never had the time to figure it out) how to make .deb packages
> > which are required by ccLan.
> >
> Yes you are right. I was fooled by the fact that when i installed CCLAN
> i also installed mk:defsystem. The tarball for non-debian CCLAN also
> includes mk:defsystem (i just read it while checking the CCLAN home
> page).

Yes.  But, please note that I advise you to make sure that the version
of MK:DEFSYSTEM you have installed is aligned with the official one
you can download as a separate File Release from the CLOCC.

> So i can install CLOCC packages too, cool.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
> Sincerly
> AHz

You are welcome.

From: Andreas Hinze
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> Yes.  But, please note that I advise you to make sure that the version
> of MK:DEFSYSTEM you have installed is aligned with the official one
> you can download as a separate File Release from the CLOCC.

Good point. Just picked mk:defsystem 3.3i.1 from sourgeforge.
I have installed mk:defsystem 3.2 (that comes with my CCLAN package) into
my lisp image. Is it possible to just load mk:defsystem 3.3, compile and then
save the image or do i need to start from an image without mk:defsystem 3.2.

Sincerly
AHz
From: Marco Antoniotti
Andreas Hinze <···@smi.de> writes:

> Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> >
> > Yes.  But, please note that I advise you to make sure that the version
> > of MK:DEFSYSTEM you have installed is aligned with the official one
> > you can download as a separate File Release from the CLOCC.
> >
> Good point. Just picked mk:defsystem 3.3i.1 from sourgeforge.
> I have installed mk:defsystem 3.2 (that comes with my CCLAN package) into
> my lisp image. Is it possible to just load mk:defsystem 3.3, compile and then
> save the image or do i need to start from an image without
> mk:defsystem 3.2.

From your message it seems that the MK:DEFSYSTEM c-l-c version is
behind the official version in the CLOCC.

Anyway, one way of making sure that you have the latest version
available is to stick

        (load "/mk-defsystem-3.3i/is/here/defsystem.lisp")

in your CL initialization file (e.g. $HOME/.cmucl-init.lisp for CMUCL
under UNIX).

Of course, you can always load whatever you need in your system
(e.g. ccLan), load the latest MK:DEFSYSTEM and then dump an image.
This should override older versions of MK:DEFSYSTEM 3.3i.

If you are daring, you can get the latest-still-under-development
MK:DEFSYSTEM 4.x form the CLOCC (CVS module name `defsystem-4.x') and
stick

        (load "/where/mk4defsys/is/defsystem-4.x/src/load-defsystem.lisp"
              :verbose nil
              :print nil)

This will load version 4.x of MK:DEFSYSTEM.  It will not (baglets
apart) interfere with other versions of MK:DEFSYSTEM since it defines
everything is in the "MAKE4" (nickname "MK4") package.

Once you have done this, you can dump an image and tweak your init
file to prevent re-loading.

Enjoy

From: Andreas Hinze
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> Anyway, one way of making sure that you have the latest version
> available is to stick
>
>         (load "/mk-defsystem-3.3i/is/here/defsystem.lisp")
>
> in your CL initialization file (e.g. $HOME/.cmucl-init.lisp for CMUCL
> under UNIX).
>
> Of course, you can always load whatever you need in your system
> (e.g. ccLan), load the latest MK:DEFSYSTEM and then dump an image.
> This should override older versions of MK:DEFSYSTEM 3.3i.

Thanks for the help.
Sincerly
AHz
From: Michael Parker
Eric Marsden wrote:

>   tlo> I'm having trouble using defsystem to load the regex library that
>   tlo> comes with clawk.
>
> I haven't managed to install CLAWK, because it depends on the REGEX
> package, which is broken (it seems to be missing a file expand.lisp,
> and some of the files are in DOS end-of-line format whereas others are
> in Unix format). In general though, this is how I deal with packages
> that use DEFSYSTEM with CMUCL:

Comment out the expand.lisp, which isn't actually used by this release.

Setup a logical path "regex:sys;" for wherever you put your system
files.  Setup a logical path "regex:src" for wherever you put the regex
sources.  See the file regex.translations for examples, but keep in mind
that exactly where and how these translations are done is system dependent.

Load the regex.system file, and build it with mk:compile-system.

From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:21:29 GMT, Michael Parker
<·············@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>   tlo> I'm having trouble using defsystem to load the regex library that
>>   tlo> comes with clawk.
>>
>> I haven't managed to install CLAWK, because it depends on the REGEX
>> package, which is broken (it seems to be missing a file expand.lisp,
>> and some of the files are in DOS end-of-line format whereas others are
>> in Unix format). In general though, this is how I deal with packages
>> that use DEFSYSTEM with CMUCL:
>
>Comment out the expand.lisp, which isn't actually used by this release.

Kind of hard to do since I can't seem to find expand.lisp anywhere.

>Setup a logical path "regex:sys;" for wherever you put your system
>files.  Setup a logical path "regex:src" for wherever you put the regex
>sources.
What the fsck is a logical path? How do you set it up.

>See the file regex.translations for examples, but keep in mind
>that exactly where and how these translations are done is system dependent.

The only thing in regex.translations is for Lispworks not cmucl.
>Load the regex.system file,
I can't get it to load. The error message I get is:
Error opening #p"regex.translations" ....

From: Michael Parker
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:21:29 GMT, Michael Parker
> <·············@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>  tlo> I'm having trouble using defsystem to load the regex library that
>>>  tlo> comes with clawk.
>>>
>>>I haven't managed to install CLAWK, because it depends on the REGEX
>>>package, which is broken (it seems to be missing a file expand.lisp,
>>>and some of the files are in DOS end-of-line format whereas others are
>>>in Unix format). In general though, this is how I deal with packages
>>>that use DEFSYSTEM with CMUCL:
>>
>>Comment out the expand.lisp, which isn't actually used by this release.
>>

> Kind of hard to do since I can't seem to find expand.lisp anywhere.

I meant comment it out of regex.system.

Actually, what you probably want to do is download the current
regex.tgz.  The comment above about expand.lisp not being used by this
release was wrong -- it was used by some of the testing code, and the
easiest way to correct this is to snaffle down the latest.

>>Setup a logical path "regex:sys;" for wherever you put your system
>>files.  Setup a logical path "regex:src" for wherever you put the regex
>>sources.
>
> What the fsck is a logical path? How do you set it up.

See chap 19 of the hyperspec.  As to how to set it up, that depends on
your particular system.  On lispworks, I rename regex.translations to
regex.lisp, and put it into the lispworks\lib\4-2-0-0\translations
directory where LispWorks expects it.  On Symbolics Genera the
translations file goes into sys:>site>regex.system.  On CMUCL, I dunno.

>>See the file regex.translations for examples, but keep in mind
>>that exactly where and how these translations are done is system dependent.
>>

> The only thing in regex.translations is for Lispworks not cmucl.

The forms in there are valid ANSI Common Lisp.  It's just that Genera
has another slightly different way to do this that has a few extra bells
and whistles.  You have to edit this file anyway to put in the paths
specific to your installation, so take out the #+lispworks.  Or add #+cmucl.

>>Load the regex.system file,
>
> I can't get it to load. The error message I get is:
> Error opening #p"regex.translations" ....

That's from CMUCL trying to load your path translations, and not finding
them.  You need to check the CMUCL docs (assuming it has any) and find
out where the logical pathname translations go.  Or just edit the system
file and replace the logical pathname stuff with hard-coded paths, which
is what I did when I tested this stuff on the demo version of MCL a few
weeks ago.