From: Oleg
Subject: Lispy C++ libraries
Hi

I have a question for Lisp programmers who also use C++. Do you use any
"Lispy" C++ libraries or STL/BOOST objects to adapt the language to your
way of thinking?

Thanks,
Oleg
--
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why
everybody does everything." -- Homer Simpson.

From: John Wiseman
Subject: Re: Lispy C++ libraries
Oleg <············@myrealbox.com> writes:

> I have a question for Lisp programmers who also use C++. Do you use
> any "Lispy" C++ libraries or STL/BOOST objects to adapt the language
> to your way of thinking?

No.  When there is a common C++ idiom for doing something I want to
do, I use it.  I let my experience with Lisp inspire some design, but
it's important to me that C++ programmers without Lisp experience will
not think of the code as too foreign.

Sometimes there is convergence.  I think the STL shows signs of being
designed by someone that knew Lisp.  And when a domain becomes complex
enough, I can see Lisp becoming more than just an inspiration for
design.

John Wiseman
From: Aleksandr Skobelev
To be more precise, it was Scheme.
(See http://www.stlport.org/resources/StepanovUSA.html)

John Wiseman <·········@yahoo.com> writes:

[...]

> I think the STL shows signs of being designed by someone that knew
> Lisp.

[...]
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:44:32 GMT, John Wiseman <·········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sometimes there is convergence.  I think the STL shows signs of being
> designed by someone that knew Lisp.  And when a domain becomes complex

Wasn't STL inspired to analogous work done in Ada, possibly by Booch?

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
From: Matt Curtin
Oleg <············@myrealbox.com> writes:

> I have a question for Lisp programmers who also use C++. Do you use
> any "Lispy" C++ libraries or STL/BOOST objects to adapt the language
> to your way of thinking?

You might want to try Lisp Plus Plus by William Paul Vrotney.
http://www.interhack.net/projects/lpp/

--
Matt Curtin  Interhack Corp  +1 614 545 HACK http://web.interhack.com/
Author,  Developing Trust: Online Privacy and Security  (Apress, 2001)