From: Ray
Subject: Hi,about clisp.
I need to run a code from other place which is in lisp.But I do not know
how to use clisp.The clisp was installed on my computer .There is no output
when I run the code.And I also got a visualize lisp software name allegro
CL.Can anyone give me help?

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: Hi,about clisp.
Ray wrote:

> I need to run a code from other place which is in lisp.But I do not know
> how to use clisp.The clisp was installed on my computer .

Question: are you using clisp because it was installed on your computer
or because the code you received is somehow known to have been developed
using clisp? If the former, implementations do vary, so that could be a
problem.

> There is no output
> when I run the code.

Sounds like you do know how to use clisp a little anyway if you got that
far. :)

Is the "no output" a bad thing? What should the output have been? How do
you know?

> And I also got a visualize lisp software name allegro
> CL.

Ah, maybe you do not in fact know which CL implementation to use. Have
you tried running the code under ACL?

--

 kenny tilton
 clinisys, inc
From: Ray
Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote in
······················@nyc.rr.com:

> Ray wrote:
>>
>> I need to run a code from other place which is in lisp.But I do not
>> know how to use clisp.The clisp was installed on my computer .
>
> Question: are you using clisp because it was installed on your
> computer or because the code you received is somehow known to have
> been developed using clisp? If the former, implementations do vary, so
> that could be a problem.

The latter.I got a code developed using common lisp.
>> There is no output
>> when I run the code.
>
> Sounds like you do know how to use clisp a little anyway if you got
> that far. :)
Yup.I hadn't used it before.

> Is the "no output" a bad thing? What should the output have been? How
> do you know?

I think "on output" means the code works ok,but I did not know more.
>> And I also got a visualize lisp software name allegro
>> CL.
>
> Ah, maybe you do not in fact know which CL implementation to use. Have
> you tried running the code under ACL?
Same with clisp.Is ACL compatible with clisp?
BTW:Can lisp have interface with other language like vc?You know there
is a prolog logic server can call by VC.

Thanks for your repling my letter.:P

From: Hartmann Schaffer
In article <····························@202.108.36.140>,
	Ray <······@163.com> writes:
>>> I need to run a code from other place which is in lisp.But I do not
>>> know how to use clisp.The clisp was installed on my computer .
>>
>> Question: are you using clisp because it was installed on your
>> computer or because the code you received is somehow known to have
>> been developed using clisp? If the former, implementations do vary, so
>> that could be a problem.
>>
> The latter.I got a code developed using common lisp.

common lisp is a language which has several implementations which are
not always completely compatible.  one of these implementations is called
clisp.  so you might have a program in common lisp that was developed
under a different implementation, so running it under clisp might
cause some problems (most implementations are pretty compatible as long
as the code stays within the language as specified by the standard,
but they also provide a few extensions, among other things to
communicate with the environment (e.g. OS calls, GUI interfaces).  The
compatibility with other implementations often is not superb.  So
you'll have to find out what environment that code was meant for,
which implementation was used, and which non standard features were
used

>> Ah, maybe you do not in fact know which CL implementation to use. Have
>> you tried running the code under ACL?
> Same with clisp.Is ACL compatible with clisp?
> BTW:Can lisp have interface with other language like vc?You know there
> is a prolog logic server can call by VC.

all implementations have a foreign function call interface, but they
are all different.  you have to check the documentation for the
implementation(s) you are using

hs

--

don't use malice as an explanation when stupidity suffices
From: Kaz Kylheku
In article <··························@202.108.36.140>, Ray wrote:
> I need to run a code from other place which is in lisp.But I do not know
> how to use clisp.

Then you will just have to learn how. If you want to get someone's Lisp source
program running, without that programmer's documentation or help, you will have
to learn a little bit about Lisp and about the Lisp implementation you are
using. Or maybe even a lot, if the program requires porting!

Luckily for you, Common Lisp is a language that is worth knowing, to just about
every computer user, so learning it not a such a waste of time compared to
other languages.

> The clisp was installed on my computer.

You can run clisp using the command ``clisp''. Then the next step is probably
to load a module of the program using a Lisp expression, for example, like
(load "main") if the main module is called ``main.lisp''. Hopefully that module
will be properly written to load all others. After that, you need to know what
expression to use to start the program; usually this is a function call to its
main startup function. For instance, if the startup function is called
``start'' and is exported from the package ``cool-program'', you would type
(cool-program:start).

Good Lispers package up their programs so that users don't have to take
these manual steps, but doing so is implementation-specific.

For example, to package up the program under CLISP, one option would be
to use the command line interface to load the whole program, and dump a
memory image.  Then a wrapper script could be used to run the program,
by invoking clisp, specifying that memory image, and the expression
to evaluate.  E.g.:

  # compile main, and all subordinate modules
  clisp -c main.lisp

  # load all modules and save memory image
  clisp -i main.lisp -x '(ext:saveinitmem "cool-program.mem" :quiet t)'

  # command to run the program
  # put this in a script, shell alias or whatever.
  clisp -M cool-program.mem -x '(cool-program:start)

These steps could be put into an installation script, making it easy
for the users of the program to get it up and running without knowing
how to operate CLISP.

There are other ways to deploy programs using CLISP. For example,
the #!/path/to/interpreter convention is obeyed, so you can make
CLISP source programs directly executable similarly to shell scripts.
Such a script can be just a thin wrapper to run a program, for instance:

  #!/usr/local/bin/clisp -M /usr/local/share/cool-program/cool-program.mem

  ; Okay, we have all of cool-program's modules loaded, so now we just run
  ; the top level function.

  (cool-program:start)

The advantage of doing this is that the program now has access to the command
line arguments passed to the script, via a CLISP language extension. So
this is a good way to wrap up shell utilities written using CLISP.