From: gary
Subject: Special variables, style and packages.
How's it going?

I have something that's bothering me, I'd like to tell you the
specific problem I'm faced with and then ask a general question.

I'm using Lispwork's CAPI (it's a graphic library) to prepare some
dialog boxes for data entry.  I have over 90 data screens.  So, as an
example I have

(defvar *example-pane*
   (make-instance
      'capi:column-layout
      <.... about 40 lines of layout instructions ....> ))

I feel queasy having so many special variables around.  Usually, when
you are faced with so many special variables, is it normal practice to
set up a package and place each special variable within the package
(and export the symbol)?  Do you find that this solution scales up
well - like, does it seem strange to use 90 packages?

Thanks.

(If you're familiar with CAPI - I'm not sure, but I think that the
define-interface macro is convenient only if you have a few panes)